PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Neutral Safety Switch

Cobrajay
03-19-2010, 11:04 AM
So it started off that I had no reverse lights. They would work once in a blue. I read that I should take apart the NSS, clean it and I'll be all set. Well, I did so and now I have no OVERDRIVE. Also, I only have reverse lights when I'm in reverse and I push the shifter closer towards park. How the hell do I adjust the NSS?

96xj
03-19-2010, 11:22 AM
just loosen the bolt that holds it in place the nns switch should be bale to move up and down a lil bit

xj4life2
03-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Look in tech articles here Melissa did a nice write up on how its done !!

Cobrajay
03-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Mels write up only shows how to remove, clean and install it. Not adjust it. Unless I missed it. I'll just loosen the bolt and adjust accordingly.

pvt.Tadpol xj
03-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Yea you need to ask around a little bit Melissa's Xj is a little older than your's . Now my XJ is a 1991 model and i did take mine apart and cleaned it out with carb cleaner and regreased it with plenty of Diaelectrict grease. Thier is a sequense on the older Xj's you have to have your shifter in Nuetral and thier are some factory mark's on the NSS that you line up and then you tighten it down and if everything is right the older Xj's will start in Nuetral and Park and the back-up's will be much brighter. The best of luck!!!

Melissa
03-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I didn't know you could adjust the NSS :confused:

All I knew to do when I had no reverse lights and my jeep was not staring at all, was to pull the NSS, clean it and stick it back on. Sorry to hear that it did not fix your problem, and sounds as if it created another. :smiley-scared002: