PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Gear?

Mudderoy
05-01-2009, 09:06 AM
As you may know we had quite a bit of rain in the Houston area a couple of days ago. My son was visiting someone when the bulk of the rain came down and unbeknownst to him the street they lived on flooded easily.

We took his car to a local shop last night. Due to issues with water in the transmission we towed the car the 2 miles to the shop. He picked up a tow strap at Home Depot, which worked fine, however I don't think this is the best choice for a tow strap that I could store in my XJ for those "special" times when I need to tow, pull someone out, or be pulled out.

What would be a good tow strap to have? Length, max pulling capacity, or any other measurements that would be pertinent.

Okay that's the tow strap what else is good recovery gear? With winch and without?

2000XJ
05-01-2009, 09:42 AM
I carry a 30' long, by 2" wide 20,000 pound recovery strap by Keeper. (LINK (http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=62)).

It's been very dependable and will probably get me through this season before I look into replacing it.

Good things to have with you are Clevis shackles ("d-rings"), if you have a winch a Tree Saver and Snatch Block are two GREAT things to carry as well.

If you have steel wire, you'll want to carry some heavy-duty gloves to handle the cable because the little steel pieces can scratch/cut your skin. If you have a steel winch line then you'll want to get some sort of weighted blanket to throw over the line while winching, which will prevent the cable from recoiling should it break.

If you have synthetic line, then you don't need a blanket because the line will just fall to the ground if it snaps.

DETOURS
05-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Snatch blocks double your winch capacity.

Homing pigeons. :cheerleader:

Evol
05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I had to buy a cheap auto zone strap,its a 20,000 lb 2" x 20'.For this guy yesterday.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu177/evol1420/sergstuck.jpg

He was sitting on his axle,poor 2wd lol

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu177/evol1420/sergstruckstuck.jpg

But now i have one!!! next is the CB

Mudderoy
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
oooo action pictures. You are going to be in great demand here! :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
05-01-2009, 11:49 AM
I carry a 30' long, by 2" wide 20,000 pound recovery strap by Keeper. (LINK (http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=62)).

It's been very dependable and will probably get me through this season before I look into replacing it.

Good things to have with you are Clevis shackles ("d-rings"), if you have a winch a Tree Saver and Snatch Block are two GREAT things to carry as well.

If you have steel wire, you'll want to carry some heavy-duty gloves to handle the cable because the little steel pieces can scratch/cut your skin. If you have a steel winch line then you'll want to get some sort of weighted blanket to throw over the line while winching, which will prevent the cable from recoiling should it break.

If you have synthetic line, then you don't need a blanket because the line will just fall to the ground if it snaps.

How often have you used this one, and how long has it lasted you? I'm assuming it has issues and this is why you are going to replace it.

kryptonitexj
05-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I use to own a Procomp strap. Best $40 bucks ever spent. I even bought one for a friend for his birthday. I think It was 3 inches wide and 30 feet long with reinforced loops on each end. Make sure you have D-rings to use it fully. It lasted a lot longer than the ones you get from the auto parts store.:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I use to own a Procomp strap. Best $40 bucks ever spent. I even bought one for a friend for his birthday. I think It was 3 inches wide and 30 feet long with reinforced loops on each end. Make sure you have D-rings to use it fully. It lasted a lot longer than the ones you get from the auto parts store.:thumbsup:

Where did you get it for $40? Cheapest I have found is $55.

BlueXJ
05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I have 2 that are 20' long and have used them for years. They are tank recovery straps from a military surplus store. Don't really know their capacity but they are very stout. Have had them for years and they aren't looking any worse for wear in the last about 10 years. I have a winch and keep blankets in the Jeep year round. I need a block for doubling my pulling power since I only have a 6 ton winch. I also have 4 D rings 2 forward and 2 aft, plus another couple under the rear seat with my gloves and winch controler. Those and the HiLift are all I have.

_StationWagon_
05-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Recovery gear I keep in the XJ:
- ARB Tow strap - 3" x 30'
- Several D- rings
- front/rear receiver hitches
- A massive pintle type hook that goes into the receiver
- Cell phone with the #s of friends who know what to do ... just in case (fully charged batteries are a plus)
- A healthy skepticism of mud puddles that no other guinea pig has waded thru before me. I will NOT be the first to go thru.

DETOURS
05-01-2009, 09:39 PM
I forgot to mention the most important RECOVERY gear.............Condoms! :rotfl2:

BlueXJ
05-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I forgot to mention the most important RECOVERY gear.............Condoms! :rotfl2:

Is that just to pass the time, or are you going to pull your stuck Jeep out with one?

_StationWagon_
05-02-2009, 04:33 AM
hmmm ... I'm real curious as to what you're going to "recover" with condoms. Gimme a good answer & I'll add that to my list of things to carry. :popcorn:

muddeprived
05-02-2009, 05:11 AM
I forgot to mention the most important RECOVERY gear.............Condoms!

hmmm ... I'm real curious as to what you're going to "recover" with condoms. Gimme a good answer & I'll add that to my list of things to carry. :popcorn:

Quoted from the dictionary : Recovery: the regaining of substances in usable form, as from refuse material or waste products.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Mudderoy
05-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Quoted from the dictionary : Recovery: the regaining of substances in usable form, as from refuse material or waste products.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Uhhhh option "B", unless you are upset with your boss for making you fix his daily cup of coffee. :smiley-scared002:

DETOURS
05-02-2009, 07:07 PM

Ummm, you can recover mistakes, DNA, a night you drank too much, your life-style, money yet spent, it's a mighty mighty long list..........the best dolla-fifty investment a Jeeper could make!! :thumbsup:

:love0007: .......in this case, 3 dolla........:popcorn:

2000XJ
05-04-2009, 01:18 AM
How often have you used this one, and how long has it lasted you? I'm assuming it has issues and this is why you are going to replace it.

I have used this one since August '07, about 2-4 pulls a month on club member's rigs who don't carry their own :brickwall:.

I would buy it again, it has been a great strap, and for the price, I'd definately buy it again. The only reason I'm going to look into buying a replacement (I'd keep this one as a backup at that point, or in my blue XJ) is because this one is starting to fray here and there due to being dragged over rocks and the repeated pulls. Once a strap starts to fray it gets weak, and it is more likely to break during a recovery. Like I said, it's in good shape and will get through this season, but after another season of abuse it'll be even more frayed.

mizedog
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I guess I'll be the one to say stay away from straps with hooks fixed to the ends. The hooks could kill.

By the way, straps have worked for us in moving trail obstructions like big rocks, and trees (maybe it would work removing environmentalists...).

bwebb
05-13-2009, 09:14 AM
30' barge rope with loops on both ends
4'' strap from sons work for a overhead crane 40,000 he says
high lift jack
D rings
The straps and barge rope make great front bumper armor for pushing too... LOL

BuckB91XJ
05-13-2009, 09:25 AM
I carry a 3"x30' 30,000 LB. rated tow strap. That was the longest good one I could find. Really, the only reason I bought this one was for the versatility. I have 30' to use and I can shorten it to whatever length I need. The beauty of a 3" tow strap is that you can put the loop in your 3" reciever and put the pin through and safely pull. You don't even need one of those fancy hook or "D" ring inserts for it.:thumbsup:

afbond03
05-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I think amazon.com has the pro comp straps for pretty good prices.

roninxj3
05-13-2009, 10:55 PM
i just have a 48" hi lift for liftin and pullin.
then in my recovery box i have a 20,000 2" tow strap and
different size axal straps and a few other odds and ends for different ocasuions..:smiley-scared002:

BudgetXJ
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM
I have a Warn receiver shackle mount and a 2" wide 20' long 20,000lbs recovery strap made my ericsson I think. I am hoping to pick up a 48" hi-lift and make some tow hook brackets for the front sometime in the near future.