PDA

View Full Version : Stater problems

Jeep1522
03-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I have a 1993 Wrangler and it wont start. When I turn the key i can hear the solinoid click, however the starter does not ingauge or make any noise. I took apart the starter and cleaned it from end to end..No luck. The battery is hot. Connections are clean and tight. Motor is not seized. It was fine untill it sat for 4 months, then when I went to start it...no Luck..The last thing I can think to do is replace the starter. If anyone has any other ways to test this please let me know....Thanks

4.3LXJ
03-16-2010, 07:46 PM
The symptoms you are describing is classic of a poor connection on the battery posts. There are two things that can happen here. The most common is a poor connection at the post itself caused by corrosion from air or acid from the battery. It may look clean, but if you haven't actually cleaned them in the last week or so they can develop a poor connection while sitting. The other thing is corrosion in the connection between the cable strands and the post terminal. Not nearly as common, but can still give you fits.

Try this. Turn on your headlights and then hit the starter. If the headlights dim to nothing it is a connection issue that needs to be addressed. Also you can try arcing the main post on the starter and the solenoid connection. It that works, it is your starter relay that is the culprit.

Jeep1522
03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Ok I'll give it a try. Funny you metion this because a just put on a new battery terminal. I got it from wal-mart and thought it was allitle "mickey mouse". Thanks for your help

4.3LXJ
03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Walmart = Mickey & Minnie Mouse