PDA

View Full Version : Cool way to reinflate your tires!

firehawk
04-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Anyone else seen this clip on how to reinflate your tires?:confused:

"Hey 'yall watch this.....":D Guess it works though.

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/th_how_to_inflate_a_tyre.jpg[/IMG"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Melissa
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I have seen that done before, and I think it looks pretty neat

BlueXJ
04-30-2009, 05:21 PM
firehawk what is he spraying in there before he lights it? I have heard of using lighter fluid but know that it doesn't come in an aerosol so that can't be lighter fluid.

firehawk
04-30-2009, 05:45 PM
firehawk what is he spraying in there before he lights it? I have heard of using lighter fluid but know that it doesn't come in an aerosol so that can't be lighter fluid.

I figured it was a can of starting fluid.:confused:

BlueXJ
04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
I figured it was a can of starting fluid.:confused:

That seems logical. I would like to talk to anyone who has actually done this. I want to be able to do it correctly. I like explosions but don't want to explode my Jeep.

Audio222
04-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Starting fluid is the most common but alot of us use Right Guard. Right Guard is great for a potato gun.

Mudderoy
04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
That seems logical. I would like to talk to anyone who has actually done this. I want to be able to do it correctly. I like explosions but don't want to explode my Jeep.

Act like you know what you are doing and offer to inflate other people tires that have broke bead. :D

BlueXJ
04-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey Mudd you have any broken beads that I can show you a quick way to inflate?

Mudderoy
04-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey Mudd you have any broken beads that I can show you a quick way to inflate?

Only in the bath tub baby!

BlueXJ
05-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Only in the bath tub baby!

Too much data!!

Mudderoy
05-01-2009, 01:36 AM
Hey I just remembered, it's been a long time, but this same technique will work getting a bra back on your girl in a hurry, when the cops are coming up to your parking spot! :smiley-scared002:

2000XJ
05-01-2009, 02:09 AM
It's a neat trick, but I don't think I'd want to do that on my own rig. A ratchet strap and CO2 or some compressed air has always done the trick.

BlueXJ
05-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Hey I just remembered, it's been a long time, but this same technique will work getting a bra back on your girl in a hurry, when the cops are coming up to your parking spot! :smiley-scared002:

Please elaborate with photos so that we understand.:D:eek:

Mudderoy
05-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Please elaborate with photos so that we understand.:D:eek:

I'll let everyone make up their own jokes, but lets just say this is an excellent lead in to another lame Mom joke. :eek:

Evol
05-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Whould'nt the fluid stay lit for couple of seconds?specially with rubber,i dont know bout that one...

Audio222
05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
It's a neat trick, but I don't think I'd want to do that on my own rig. A ratchet strap and CO2 or some compressed air has always done the trick.

This is the right way to do it. People have been hurt the other way.

Howler_GT
05-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I have "explode-seated" tires before.

No matter how many times I do it, its still scary.

I do not recommend this all the time.
I suggest filing this under "If all else fails"
Use this as a last resort.

Hair spray, Right Guard, Starter fluid are the chemicals of choice.

I usually like to step back a few feet and use the spray can as a flamethrower to ignite the tire and its combustable contents.

Even with every precaution taken this procedure is by no means any safer.

Deplete every other possible bead-seating procedures first before even thinking of attempting this.

P.S. After tire is seated using "explode-seating, you need to air-up and down several times to remove any remnant of explosive fumes.
Ever see a tire forcibly removed from a rim while rotating???

Mudderoy
05-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Basically, boys and girls, this is a bad thing that shouldn't be done. Don't try this at home, on the trail, or even think about it too long..

Stay off drugs, and stay in school!

BlueXJ
05-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Well I always considered it a last chance option.

N1TZU
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM
holy crap batman !!!!

bwebb
05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
You'll find that most of your old truck drivers and mechanics used this method of bead sealing
because the older diesel engines need starting fluid to start when they sat to long or got real cold.
So they always had some laying around.

BudgetXJ
05-13-2009, 09:50 PM
If you do it with the valve out of the valve stem like it shows in the video, and don't use too much flammable, its a pretty effective and fairly safe method that is more commonly used than you would think. I've done it a few times and its not bad at all.

whowey
05-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Ive done it several times... I usually remove the tire from the truck and ratchet strap it to try and limit the potential damage. Its always an eye opener... I singed my beard once doing it...

weaselguys
05-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Never do this with the tire on your rig ,unless you are prepared to watch your ride go up in flames and for a walk home.Its easy to do this remove the tire place it away from your rig ,spray both sides around the bead with starting fuild lay it down and thorw a match on if ,if done right you will get a big bang your tire seats and maybe burns a littie,simple tamp it out -reinflat and reinstall it.This is a common practic in Iceland the drop their tire pressure while crossing the snow pack and crevises and somtimes if the pressure in the tire is to low they peal off.The strap and air pressure is a good way to and you can leave the tire on the rig,you just need a GOOD air supply.: thumbsup:

Jerman75
05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
wouldnt break cleaner work as well?

weaselguys
06-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Anything with alcahol could work,elec cleaner,deicer etc.The thing I like about starting fluid is it evaporates quicker so if you spray on a little to much and light it to quick and you get the loud pop that you want of your tire seating but your tire is now in flames it burns out quicker and is easier to put out.Trust me this does work - not every time you try it,you may have to do it more then once but it does work