PDA

View Full Version : fan problem

hoerter2158
03-08-2010, 01:22 AM
When i start my jeep everytime its cold or warm, the fan comes on about every 15-20 seconds. What could be wrong with it? Its not over heating cause it does it right when i start it in the morning. Any ideas?

Mudderoy
03-08-2010, 05:19 AM
When i start my jeep everytime its cold or warm, the fan comes on about every 15-20 seconds. What could be wrong with it? Its not over heating cause it does it right when i start it in the morning. Any ideas?

The only thing that comes to mind is a computer problem. I guess it could be a sensor, but I would expect your gauge to show a high temp. You didn't mention any strange readings on the temp gauge.

rguignard
03-08-2010, 06:17 AM
does it have ac ? becouse if it does the fan comes on with the ac compressior and the ac is on with the defrost so maybe thats it .

Mudderoy
03-08-2010, 08:55 AM
does it have ac ? becouse if it does the fan comes on with the ac compressior and the ac is on with the defrost so maybe thats it .

It would stay on as long as the A/C was on wouldn't it? I guess the compressor could be cycling on/off.

BlueXJ
03-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Sensor in the thermostat housing may have a bad/poor connection or the sensor is bad. JMHO as I am no expert on H.O. motors and their sensors.

4.3LXJ
03-08-2010, 11:04 AM
It would stay on as long as the A/C was on wouldn't it? I guess the compressor could be cycling on/off.

Yes. That is the thing to check right now. There is a provision in the late XJs as well as other new models to run the air when the defrost is on. It dries out the air and does not remove enough BTUs to overpower those added by the heater core for a warm defrost air on the windows.

If the compressor is coming on, then that is what is happening and is probably normal.

alwaysxj
03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
if it is just the fan i had this problem on my 92 and it was the relay for the fan. change that and it should be just fine.

hoerter2158
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Yah, There are no overheating problems, usually around 190ish. I will see if it only does it with the defrost on. Im pretty sure its not right tho becuase my buddys got the same jeep and his fan never turns on even when his defrost is on.

hoerter2158
03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
and yes it does have ac, idk if it works tho ahah.

rguignard
03-08-2010, 02:18 PM
and yes it does have ac, idk if it works tho ahah.

my 95 the ac needs to be charged and if my defroster is on then my ac cooling fan is coming on and going off

pvt.Tadpol xj
03-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Maybe this will help. I had a like incident last summer with my 1991 XJ.. Turn's out one of the wire's on my cool temp sensor plug-in was not making any contact. You might try pushing your two wire's down inside with your XJ running and if that causes your fan to stop running then you can push a round wood tooth pick down inside the wire that is not getting a good connection. And break it off above the plug. that's how I made the repair on mine...:thumbsup: