PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

Punisher
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Ok people... I have a 1991 jeep xj and right this moment I'm putting new front brakes on as in Rotors,Calipers,and Pads and the pads like to long to fit in compared to the old ones but I remember my brother in-law told me that he had a new axle put in years ago but it should be the same year but just heavy duty..So how the heck do I find out what year it is I know theres number stamp on them somewhere but where? any help could help thanks and like I said im working on it as of now 3/4/10 4:10pm

Mudderoy
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Ok people... I have a 1991 jeep xj and right this moment I'm putting new front brakes on as in Rotors,Calipers,and Pads and the pads like to long to fit in compared to the old ones but I remember my brother in-law told me that he had a new axle put in years ago but it should be the same year but just heavy duty..So how the heck do I find out what year it is I know theres number stamp on them somewhere but where? any help could help thanks and like I said im working on it as of now 3/4/10 4:10pm

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of people on right now. Strange, but hopefully someone with the information will check in very soon.

xj4life2
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Take your old pads to the parts store and have them match them up. Should be a problem. Never heard of a heavy duty 30 mabey he switched to a high pinoion model ? Anyway the part store guys can match it and then tell you what year it is.

Mudderoy
03-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Take your old pads to the parts store and have them match them up. Should be a problem. Never heard of a heavy duty 30 mabey he switched to a high pinoion model ? Anyway the part store guys can match it and then tell you what year it is.

I wonder if he means it has the 760 u-joints.

alwaysxj
03-04-2010, 05:00 PM
well the 91 would come with the vaccume disc front so if it not a disco then it is 92 and newer. you will have a metal tag on the cover but i think it will just tell you the gear ratio. but any dana 30 from i think 92 -2000 will be the same in 2000-2001 they went low pinion.

4.3LXJ
03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
There was a change in 91 to longer pads and larger calipers. You have the earlier ones. Get pads for the 90 and they will probably fit.

xj4life2
03-04-2010, 05:12 PM
There was a change in 91 to longer pads and larger calipers. You have the earlier ones. Get pads for the 90 and they will probably fit.

your right, forgot about that one should have looked in the book oooppppss

Punisher
03-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the input all.. but I did a little looking around and this is what I found.... seems that my brother inlaw told me that he was hit from the side years ago but didnt damage anything but the front axle so he had it fixed from a shop and it seem that they put 1987-1989 front axle housing and put a 1991 axle in it, cause the 1987-1988 rotors wont fit cause its to small but the 1991 rotor fit great on the hub but the calipers and pads fit great on the bracket... So now I have to make noted on this so I know that next time I dont run back and forth to the store for parts...

BlueXJ
03-05-2010, 08:39 AM
At least you have new brakes and can stop it now. That is an important thing to be able to do.