PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my 92 Dodge Dakota 3.9 v6

greenchevy
02-28-2010, 04:51 PM
I know this is a Cherokee thread but i need some help with my Dakota and maybe someone can help me. Last week it drove fine. When i went to start it Tuesday it wouldn't start. I dropped the gas tank and changed the fuel pump because it wasn't working. I did a tune up on it too. With the tune up and new pump it drove fine. i drove it to the gas station about a mile from my house with no problem. Then i drove to town which is another 5 or 6 miles. When I got to town i turn in to another gas station. When I was turning in it died. I started it back up and it was idling fine but when i put it in gear it would just die over and over again. So i had to have it towed back home. I figured it could be the Idle air control valve since it was shaking at idle so i changed it. It help with the shaking but still dies when i put in gear or reverse. It starts good in park or neutral. I was told that it was the Torque converter clutch(lock up) solenoid. Where is that? I tried looking up the part but only found a Transmission control solenoid and kick down solenoid.What else can it be?

firehawk
02-28-2010, 06:20 PM
I know this is a Cherokee thread but i need some help with my Dakota and maybe someone can help me. Last week it drove fine. When i went to start it Tuesday it wouldn't start. I dropped the gas tank and changed the fuel pump because it wasn't working. I did a tune up on it too. With the tune up and new pump it drove fine. i drove it to the gas station about a mile from my house with no problem. Then i drove to town which is another 5 or 6 miles. When I got to town i turn in to another gas station. When I was turning in it died. I started it back up and it was idling fine but when i put it in gear it would just die over and over again. So i had to have it towed back home. I figured it could be the Idle air control valve since it was shaking at idle so i changed it. It help with the shaking but still dies when i put in gear or reverse. It starts good in park or neutral. I was told that it was the Torque converter clutch(lock up) solenoid. Where is that? I tried looking up the part but only found a Transmission control solenoid and kick down solenoid.What else can it be?

I had a "96 Dakota 3.9L before I bought the Jeep. Good truck, only it was 2WD and would get stuck on wet grass!:thumbdown:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/Picture408.jpg

Try going to DodgeDakotas.com. I found alot of useful info there when I had mine.:thumbsup:

flippedXJ
03-01-2010, 04:46 AM
check the fuel pressure regulator - if you are only gettin a little fuel it will idle but when you hit the gas it will die. and when you changed the pump did you change the fuel filter? those are both farily cheep items as well

greenchevy
03-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Yep changed the filter .