PDA

View Full Version : Noise in the frontend.....AGAIN!

firehawk
02-27-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm getting a hollow sort of roaring noise from the frontend. I had the tires rotated today bucause the fronts were getting cupped on the inside tread blocks. I knew that was some of the noise, but some still remains.

I pulled the front diff cover this week to check the gears and they all showed ZERO wear/damage. The lube was clean, and it had been in there for about 10,000 miles (Mobil 1).

The noise is worse in 4WD and seems to be louder when accelerating, but it there all the time, in 2WD or 4WD. The axle is out of a '96 and had 135,000 miles on it when I pulled it. I feel no heat buildup around any bearing in the diff. Before I bolted it in I checked it out. There was no wear, the bearings felt "tight" and what I could see the races looked good. There was no abnormal back lash in the gears either.

What kind of noise do the front hub bearings make when they are starting to fail?:confused:

Mudderoy
02-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm getting a hollow sort of roaring noise from the frontend. I had the tires rotated today bucause the fronts were getting cupped on the inside tread blocks. I knew that was some of the noise, but some still remains.

I pulled the front diff cover this week to check the gears and they all showed ZERO wear/damage. The lube was clean, and it had been in there for about 10,000 miles (Mobil 1).

The noise is worse in 4WD and seems to be louder when accelerating, but it there all the time, in 2WD or 4WD. The axle is out of a '96 and had 135,000 miles on it when I pulled it. I feel no heat buildup around any bearing in the diff. Before I bolted it in I checked it out. There was no wear, the bearings felt "tight" and what I could see the races looked good. There was no abnormal back lash in the gears either.

What kind of noise do the front hub bearings make when they are starting to fail?:confused:

Are you sure this isn't a transfer case noise? I thought I had a front end problem for awhile until I replaced the brakes, wheel bearing assemblies, axle u-joints, and after all that I found out it was the chain in the transfer case. Of course I didn't know that until the chain had stretched so much that it was jumping on the teeth of the drive gears.

firehawk
02-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Are you sure this isn't a transfer case noise? I thought I had a front end problem for awhile until I replaced the brakes, wheel bearing assemblies, axle u-joints, and after all that I found out it was the chain in the transfer case. Of course I didn't know that until the chain had stretched so much that it was jumping on the teeth of the drive gears.

The noise seems to be coming from the front of the Jeep, not from under the seat. The TC was rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago when the old LP axle was rebuilt. I'll bet I haven't put 50 miles on the Jeep in 4WD since the TC was rebuilt.

But hey, knowing MY luck it is most likely going to be something expensive to fix.:smiley-scared002:

4.3LXJ
02-27-2010, 10:16 PM
If you have cupping on the inside of the tires, I would suggest checking the toe in. If tires are under scrub conditions they can make noise.

Captain Ruggy
03-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I think a good alignment may take care of alot of your problems.