PDA

View Full Version : Cracking noises front window

cherok
02-27-2010, 04:17 AM
In this wintertime when ice builds up on and around the front window we hear loud cracking noises and it seems like the window is going to break.

Off course before driving we always make the window ice free as much as possible.

I think it is the ice between the glass and the metal strip around the window.

Do you have the same problem over there with, I think, the older Cherokees?
:confused:

Happily the window never cracked but it sounds scary.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-VSDNKT3C.jpg
Just a picture of my XJ

Mudderoy
02-27-2010, 11:12 AM
In this wintertime when ice builds up on and around the front window we hear loud cracking noises and it seems like the window is going to break.

Off course before driving we always make the window ice free as much as possible.

I think it is the ice between the glass and the metal strip around the window.

Do you have the same problem over there with, I think, the older Cherokees?
:confused:

Happily the window never cracked but it sounds scary.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-VSDNKT3C.jpg
Just a picture of my XJ

Wow, that would freak me out. The climate here is very different so I've never experience this. It will be interesting to hear what others in colder climates have to say. This is the nice thing about a world wide audience. You learn things you never even considered.

lowrider
02-28-2010, 09:42 AM
mine sounds like the dash is popping. it is loud when it does it. seams to do it more in the winter than in the summer but it still does it in the summer

cherok
06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
So, reading the replies to my front window problem during winter, I'm the only one with this problem.:(:):(:)

HokieAirman
01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
I've had popping noises from my windshield before (multiple vehicles). Most likely it's an expansion contraction effect and is harmless. Doesn't hurt to check it out with your neighborhood body shop.

4.3LXJ
01-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I used to live in a cold area, did not have this happening though. If you think it is a problem, pull the door panel and operate it when it is cold and see if you can pinpoint the noise.

BrianXJ
01-16-2011, 05:33 AM
The windsheild in my has done it a few times. I have only had it since December so I will have to wait till summer to see if it does it then, but yes I have heard it and I was looking for flying glass. I think you are on the right track with the theory of ice between the window and the metal surround. To test we could take the metal strip off and see what it does.

cherok
01-16-2011, 06:53 AM
The windsheild in my has done it a few times. I have only had it since December so I will have to wait till summer to see if it does it then, but yes I have heard it and I was looking for flying glass. I think you are on the right track with the theory of ice between the window and the metal surround. To test we could take the metal strip off and see what it does.

On this moment I also think this is the reason: ice between the windshield and the metal strip.

Again I state that it sounds like your windshield is going to break.

tbone
01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah it happens on my 88 when it is really cold out, don;t have that issue during the warm months. Mine doesn't have to get ice on it, just when it get's really cold, it goes away after the xj has warmede up really good.

nhra13
03-23-2013, 04:32 PM
try pushing and pulling the dash.... i noticed mine does it when turning, like when the frame flexes a little. Mine has a loud pop sometimes.

cantab27
03-23-2013, 10:40 PM
be sweet as i get it as well..

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image0164.jpg