PDA

View Full Version : high pinon dana 30 swap for low pinon dana 30

weaselguys
02-24-2010, 08:58 PM
I have to replace my dana 30 on my 2001 ,it is a low pinon ,non anti lock brakes.It's bent on the drivers side,Im looking at swapping in a high pinon dana 30 out of a 98,it has antilock brakes which of course would not function that way.Low pinion 30's are hard to get around here.Any thoughts on this causing problems ?

GT MOTORSPORTS
02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
If your current Jeep is non ABS and your swapping in a ABS axle..I dont see the problem. Just unbolt the sensor out of the hubs. I think some of the ABS axles had bigger joints in the shafts. Im sure the yokes are the same so that shouldnt be a problem.
Just make sure the axle ratio's are the same..

W.O.R.P.Offroad
02-24-2010, 09:46 PM
front drive shaft could be too long. might want to check out that. shouldnt be but could be

weaselguys
02-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I think the drive shaft will be to long to,makes since the pinon would be a little farther away on a low pinon.I may be able to off set that with coil spacers.Thanks

firehawk
02-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I swapped a '96 HP axle into my '00 XJ replacing the LP that was in it. I didn't have ABS but other than that it was a complete "easy" bolt in replacement. I was told that somewhere around 95-96 and up all have the larger u-joints in the axles. I know the '96 axle I swapped in does.

The front DS from my LP axle fit perfectly with the HP axle.

GT MOTORSPORTS
02-25-2010, 09:48 PM
As far as the drive shaft length. Look at it this way. He has a 3.5" lift. That lift probably runs longer arms in the factory mounts on the body. So If you draw a line from the center of each mounting hole in the body,then pull that line down,(heres where you have to picture the jeep in side view on grid paper) as you pulll the line down it will pull the end of the line closer to the body. Or picture your arm as a link bar bar. Hold it out in front of you,then drop it. it comes back to you. The same thing happens when you lift your jeep. So when you lift your jeep most manufactures will add longer arms to push the wheel base back to where it was factory. so that being said. My piont is this. With his 3.5" liftIt probably pulled the shaft out in on a low pinion axle. So when you add the Hi pinion axle it probably took the shaft length back to where it was factory. so he should be good. I never ran into hi pinion/low pinion swaps,as every XJ i have messed with had HP axles or was getting a custom suspension and drive shafts any ways. I hope this helps..

COSXJFAN
03-09-2010, 08:08 AM
It should be easy to obtain a DS out of the donor vehicle, then you don't have to worry about the DS bottoming out, and busting you t-case!!