PDA

View Full Version : transfer case removal

96xj
02-19-2010, 09:39 AM
OK so this weekend I'm going to attempt to take out the transfer case to start the over haul bearings and seals with a new chain , I'm also going to be installing my SYE and new tom woods drive shaft " thanks Ron from 4 wheelplus.com
so is there anything i should know , special tools i will need ? as some of you may know my sister-in law owns a 3 bay shop so i will not be doing this on the ground it will be done on a lift ,and i got most tools assessable to me

Mudderoy
02-19-2010, 09:49 AM
OK so this weekend I'm going to attempt to take out the transfer case to start the over haul bearings and seals with a new chain , I'm also going to be installing my SYE and new tom woods drive shaft " thanks Ron from 4 wheelplus.com
so is there anything i should know , special tools i will need ? as some of you may know my sister-in law owns a 3 bay shop so i will not be doing this on the ground it will be done on a lift ,and i got most tools assessable to me

Cool! Man take some pictures, or pay the wife to do it. :camera:

You'll need some ring pliers, I don't remember the exact name. Inner and outer snap ring pliers. So two of them. Even then those snap rings will :pee: you off. It might be easier on the bench though.

muddeprived
02-19-2010, 10:24 AM
biggest snap ring pliers you can find
rtv
brake cleaner
socket for yoke nuts
basic tools

that's about all i needed to do the job.

96xj
02-19-2010, 10:31 AM
ok illl try to take pics this time but the wife wont be there to take the pics so its gonna be hard but illl try

Mudderoy
02-19-2010, 11:21 AM
biggest snap ring pliers you can find
rtv
brake cleaner
socket for yoke nuts
basic tools

that's about all i needed to do the job.

Lots of brake cleaner get as much as you think you need, then double it. :rotfl2:

alwaysxj
02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
ok illl try to take pics this time but the wife wont be there to take the pics so its gonna be hard but illl try

this is what you need to do stop for a sec snap a pic and then work again simple.:smiley-laughing021:

W.O.R.P.Offroad
02-20-2010, 02:10 AM
also get a pair of the flat blade snap ring pliers. there is a ring or 2 you will fight with for a while with out them. i shot one all the way out the shop door in the grass one day messin with it with out them. luckily i found it.