PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar Douche, ahhh flush...

Mudderoy
02-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Well I drained the coolant, and put in a gallon of vinegar, then filled with water.

After a few minutes with the engine running (maybe 10) the thermostat opened and I started to see random spheres of rusty colored crud. Very few but something I had not seen before.

I ran the engine about 20 minutes. Now I'm waiting for it to cool so I can drain the vinegar/water.

I'll fill and flush, then I'll fill with anti-freeze and water.

I'm interested to see if anything comes out during the drain that looks different than clear liquid and the faint aroma of pickles. :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
02-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Sweet or Dill?:rotfl2:

Melissa
02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
School me Mudderoy, I have never heard of using vinegar to flush.......Why??

flippedXJ
02-13-2010, 02:51 PM
the vinegar helps to break loose the junk

cantab27
02-13-2010, 03:58 PM
thanks thats new to me as well..:thumbsup:

flippedXJ
02-13-2010, 04:26 PM
np thats an old trick that you can do instead of spending the money on those overpriced flush kits

Mudderoy
02-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Ohh sorry I got done, cleaned up and went to get my gray hair removed.

I didn't really see a lot of stuff come out. It got cloudy with that red rust colored stuff. I keep flushing it until it was mostly clear, and smelled a little less like DILL pickles. :smiley-laughing021:

I filled it up with Preston and finished it off with water. Drove it about 50 miles to my mother in-laws house and then back home. Temp stayed well below 210, even though I was hitting 85 mph at times, and crusing at 70 mph.

I did have a strong smell of vinegar coming through the vents with the heater on. I probably need to brave the replacement of the heater core fairly soon.

flippedXJ
02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
thats cool it worked good for ya - is this the first time you have done it? I try to do it every couple of years to keep everything well cleaned and the antifreeze fresh.

Mudderoy
02-14-2010, 12:21 AM
thats cool it worked good for ya - is this the first time you have done it? I try to do it every couple of years to keep everything well cleaned and the antifreeze fresh.

Yep, never tried it before. The radiator is new so I was really trying to clean the engine journals and the heater core.

BlueXJ
02-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Read about this in the Gynecology Journal but never tried it. You used distilled water as recommended on the Journal?

Mudderoy
02-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Read about this in the Gynecology Journal but never tried it. You used distilled water as recommended on the Journal?

No. I've never used distilled water. We really don't have a problem with our water here anyway.

4.3LXJ
02-14-2010, 11:48 AM
No. I've never used distilled water. We really don't have a problem with our water here anyway.

We do. I have to hit our water with a jack hammer before I can drink it.

You have to use distilled water in your radiator here or it will be plugged up quickly.

flippedXJ
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
wow and I thought we had hard water that is just rediculous

Mudderoy
02-14-2010, 06:25 PM
We do. I have to hit our water with a jack hammer before I can drink it.

You have to use distilled water in your radiator here or it will be plugged up quickly.

Oh I agree, there are some parts of the country, even this state I'm sure, that using drinking water in your cooling system is a very bad idea.

XJ4IV
02-15-2010, 09:18 PM
This is a great thread

Mudderoy
02-17-2010, 09:43 AM
I forgot to mention. About 3, or 4 years ago I noticed a leak on the side of the block. I got to checking it and it was a damn rusted freeze plug! I took it down to my hand dandy "friend of the family" auto mechanic and had all of the freeze plugs replaced because they were made of crap! The only one that was okay was the freeze plug that has the block water heater in it.

I gotta stop putting sulfuric acid in my coolant! <=== Disclaimer! This is a joke!

GT MOTORSPORTS
02-17-2010, 09:55 AM
I never heard of tht trick but i will try it soon..

millman
02-17-2010, 10:13 AM
also works well in coffee makers,run some through every 3 months or so your coffee will taste better

Mudderoy
02-17-2010, 10:34 AM
also works well in coffee makers,run some through every 3 months or so your coffee will taste better

My wife uses it as an additive to wash the clothes, and the coffee pot thing. ;)