PDA

View Full Version : rear options

xjredneck
02-11-2010, 09:39 AM
would i be better off swapping out my rear axle to the same or taking it to the shop and having them replace the bearings and pinion seal when the shop labor rate is $80 per hour? or i take 4 hours out of my day and replace the rear axle myself?

I need as many opinions as possible (also the rear is a stock chyrsler 8.25)
i have done many swaps on rears before

Mudderoy
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM
would i be better off swapping out my rear axle to the same or taking it to the shop and having them replace the bearings and pinion seal when the shop labor rate is $80 per hour? or i take 4 hours out of my day and replace the rear axle myself?

I need as many opinions as possible (also the rear is a stock chyrsler 8.25)
i have done many swaps on rears before

It's kind of a crap shoot, because if you put another C8.25 in there it could have bad bearings as well.

I think I would be inclined to get a replacement C8.25 (I hear they go for $180) then work on the original C8.25 and rebuild it. Someone here may be able to tell you a way to check to see if the bearings are bad in the replacement. I suspect you could move the ring from side to side and see if there was any play in it, but I'm just guessing.

x2elite
02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Usually if your bearings are bad you will hear them growling, however, if we are just talking about carrier bearings, and pinion bearings there are some easy ways to check. Pull the drive shaft loose from the rear end yoke (if it isn't already off), wiggle the yoke, and check for slack in it. If you have it off the ground, pull the tires off, and see if you can turn the yoke by hand, and listen/feel for roughness. You could always pull the diff cover, and check for metal shavings. If you have bearings going out, then there will most likely be metal shavings in the oil. Easy way to check is with a magnet, or by filtering it through a paper towel or something. 99% of the time one out of a pull-a-part or salvage yard will be just fine, unless it has had water in the diff at some point in time or it was bent in the accident. You can easily check by pulling the diff cover though.

x2elite
02-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I have bought at least 10 rear axles from junk yards, and pull-a-parts and have yet to get one that was bad.

xj4life2
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I have bought at least 10 rear axles from junk yards, and pull-a-parts and have yet to get one that was bad.

I have done the same but as a rule they all get new bearings and seals, I guess more of a precaution than anything.

4.3LXJ
02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I am with Mark. If I get one from a wrecking yard, it ends up getting rebuilt anyway. There was only one exception to that rule, and we got rid of the vehicle anyway.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
also you can also get a 29spline with a lsd while your at the yard. not sure what year yours is but the 98+ without abs have the 29 spline