PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 fill plug removal

HarleyRider
02-08-2010, 07:10 PM
All that is left for checking my fluid levels is getting that darn plug out of the front diff. It seems to be frozen in place. I've cleaned all the gunk out and sprayed with liquid wrench and still no movement. I went as far as putting my impact wrench on it and no go. I just bought a longer breaker bar and a gator socket and still no go. Any good ideas out there?

rguignard
02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
i just put a breaker bar in mine and turned it out so ???? remember rightie tightie leftie loosie :smiley-gen165:

HarleyRider
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Well I had to take off the diff cover. Cleaned it up and then took my trusty wacker 2000 plus hammer and hit the fill plug twice, then put it in my vice and took my socket and breaker bar and turned it out. It looked like someone in the past had use either loctite or black sealant. I cleaned the threads up and got a new gasket installed. Put it back together, filled her up to correct level and replaced the plug. No leaks.:smiley-gen165: I took it for a test :driving: So, everything is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Glad to hear it. Those pipe threads can get tight. Of course locktite doesn't help.:lame:

TheWeiss
02-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Is there any really good way to break loctite? I have been turned on to Kroil (which by the way might be made by the Gods) and that's taken care of most rusted bolts. Does it work the same for sealants an threads lockers?

wv jeeper
02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
The best way I know of to undo locktight or retaining compound is to heat it with a torch. Unless it is red or green locktight, however, you should not have to do this to release it.