PDA

View Full Version : To SYE or not to SYE that is the question?

Audio222
04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Okay the wife has given her okay on a SYE kit. This is what has been recommended to me. I will use a front drive shaft from a XJ for the rear. Can anyone think of anything good or bad about this setup? Thanks for the help. :driving:

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=153

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Mudderoy
04-26-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm going with Tom Woods.

Does the one you are looking at require a new drive shaft?

I have a NP242J so I've only checked into SYE for it.

firehawk
04-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Unless your a HARDCORE rock crawler, the RE H&T is hard to beat. I've been running it and a front DS for 2+ years now with zero problems.

Just my .02.:)

BTW, if your going with the H&T, Tom Woods will NOT sell you a DS for it.

2000XJ
04-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Another vote for the HnT. I've been using it with a front XJ Driveshaft with great results. I have $175 (including shipping) into my SYE setup including the HnT, Driveshaft, and Spicer adapter.

The XJ driveshaft is a great way to go because then you can carry one spare driveshaft knowing that it will work in either the front or the back. On that note, even if you don't carry a spare driveshaft and break a rear shaft, you can always move the front shaft to the rear to drive home. This setup is pretty stout, and the front XJ shafts do just fine in the rear, so I have no doubt that you'd break one, but I tend to always be over-prepared.

Audio222
04-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Another vote for the HnT. I've been using it with a front XJ Driveshaft with great results. I have $175 (including shipping) into my SYE setup including the HnT, Driveshaft, and Spicer adapter.

The XJ driveshaft is a great way to go because then you can carry one spare driveshaft knowing that it will work in either the front or the back. On that note, even if you don't carry a spare driveshaft and break a rear shaft, you can always move the front shaft to the rear to drive home. This setup is pretty stout, and the front XJ shafts do just fine in the rear, so I have no doubt that you'd break one, but I tend to always be over-prepared.

Thanks for the info. I can buy the SYE kit for $175 but I was really worried about using the front drive shaft, and now I'm not.

muddeprived
04-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the info. I can buy the SYE kit for $175 but I was really worried about using the front drive shaft, and now I'm not.

Do yourself a favor and look into PORC before you order from them. I have their sye and didn't have any problems getting it last year but from what i'm reading over on pirate, they are having some problems with customers and people not getting their orders. Call in and verify that you will get what you ordered without any BS. I don't want to see ya end up like the others who didn't get their product and no money refunded.

My vote goes to the sye kit and front shaft. It's been on my jeep for one year and zero problems. Break the rear shaft on the trail? stick your front one back there and go home. NEAT!

Mudderoy
04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
All you (and this sounds bad) front drive shaft in the rear guys are running a NP231, right? :smiley-scared002:

I really like the idea of having the same drive shaft front and back, really good idea.

Audio222
04-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Do yourself a favor and look into PORC before you order from them. I have their sye and didn't have any problems getting it last year but from what i'm reading over on pirate, they are having some problems with customers and people not getting their orders. Call in and verify that you will get what you ordered without any BS. I don't want to see ya end up like the others who didn't get their product and no money refunded.

My vote goes to the sye kit and front shaft. It's been on my jeep for one year and zero problems. Break the rear shaft on the trail? stick your front one back there and go home. NEAT!

Thanks for the heads up!!

muddeprived
04-27-2009, 04:48 PM
All you (and this sounds bad) front drive shaft in the rear guys are running a NP231, right? :smiley-scared002:

I really like the idea of having the same drive shaft front and back, really good idea.

:smiley-laughing021:

yes, the 231.

firehawk
04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm running a front DS with the H&T and a 242 TC.

Voldemort
05-09-2009, 10:25 PM
X8 for the Hack N Tap here is a good deal on one.http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_HNT

cher96
05-10-2009, 12:58 AM
X8 for the Hack N Tap here is a good deal on one.http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_HNT

I have ordered this one and the shipping was only about $20. It came in about a week.

I have not installed it because I haven't had a problem with vibration as of yet even though I sit at 5" of lift.

Good thing I didn't. I blew a U-Joint at the TC and destroyed my NP231 and all the linkage with it when the driveshaft went a rye. When I replaced the TC I used the front driveshaft from the kit.

Things happen.