PDA

View Full Version : Heated Mirrors

Nicksdsm
02-08-2010, 07:24 AM
My XJ does not have heated mirrors. If I install the factory heated mirrors, will they work just by plugging them in and using the rear defroster. Will I have to do any wiring?

Mudderoy
02-08-2010, 09:27 AM
My XJ does not have heated mirrors. If I install the factory heated mirrors, will they work just by plugging them in and using the rear defroster. Will I have to do any wiring?

I'm looking forward to the answer on this. When I replaced my front bumper I noticed a plug and a wire hanging down in the middle of the factory bumper. It really looks like a place for a license plate light. I guess someone somewhere requires a light for the front license plate.

If they wire for that I bet they wire for the heated mirrors as well.

rguignard
02-08-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm looking forward to the answer on this. When I replaced my front bumper I noticed a plug and a wire hanging down in the middle of the factory bumper. It really looks like a place for a license plate light. I guess someone somewhere requires a light for the front license plate.

If they wire for that I bet they wire for the heated mirrors as well.

fog lights maybe ??? :D

Mudderoy
02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
fog lights maybe ??? :D

Nope it is in the center. I had factory fog lights, those are different wires.

4.3LXJ
02-08-2010, 10:48 AM
The answer to the question is yes, you can make it work. The mirror heat is run off the rear window defroster. Whether or not the wiring is there is another matter. It certainly isn't on mine. Those mirrors are electric, so you will also want to be wired up for that with the switch also.

Mudderoy
02-08-2010, 11:29 AM
The answer to the question is yes, you can make it work. The mirror heat is run off the rear window defroster. Whether or not the wiring is there is another matter. It certainly isn't on mine. Those mirrors are electric, so you will also want to be wired up for that with the switch also.

lol I was wondering how I turned them on!?!?!? :smiley-laughing021:

Silly having heated mirrors in South Texas.

4.3LXJ
02-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Why not? I want some and I live in sunny CA

Mudderoy
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Why not? I want some and I live in sunny CA

I never been in a situation where I needed to clear my mirrors, at least not by heat.

4.3LXJ
02-08-2010, 01:14 PM
We get frost and dew on the mirrors frequently. I have heated mirrors on my Subaru and it is nice not to have to take the ice scraper to the mirrors and then readjust them.

Mudderoy
02-08-2010, 01:34 PM
We get frost and dew on the mirrors frequently. I have heated mirrors on my Subaru and it is nice not to have to take the ice scraper to the mirrors and then readjust them.

It just dawned on me. I've always parked the Jeep in the garage. That's why. :smiley-laughing021:

Nicksdsm
02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
I just found out today that my work is sending our only XJ to the junk yard. It seems like a wast, the XJ only has 59,000 miles (lots of rust). I was asked today if I needed anything off of it. I hope to save some money and pull some parts. Hopefully the mirrors are heated.

tbone
02-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Try to buy the whole XJ!!!! Well that's what I would do. :thumbsup::rotfl2::rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
02-08-2010, 09:50 PM
X2. Low milage motor and all the other goodies in it like switches and stuff. If it is reasonable, it would be a rare find.

Nicksdsm
02-09-2010, 04:44 AM
My job is not reasonable, Most of our vehicles go to cab companys so they know they will pay top dollar for a well maintained vehicle. All it need are new floor boards.

Nicksdsm
02-09-2010, 04:46 AM
I just got to work, it does have heated mirrors. I'm going to switch them out as soon as it's pulled off the road. I'll let everyone know if it works without wiring.

BlueXJ
02-09-2010, 09:17 AM

As if you really lived in SOUTH TEXAS. You ever been to the valley? That is South Texas. Any further south then you are no longer even in Texas.

BTW
Heated mirrors were not wired in from the factory. They were a regional phenomenon.

Mudderoy
02-09-2010, 09:46 AM
As if you really lived in SOUTH TEXAS. You ever been to the valley? That is South Texas. Any further south then you are no longer even in Texas.

BTW
Heated mirrors were not wired in from the factory. They were a regional phenomenon.

huh? So you are saying that the dealership that I bought my XJ from wired up the heated mirrors?

I'll have to double check but I believe they told me that the heated mirrors, the block heater (which I need to repair the electrical cord :rotfl2:) was part of the Up Country package. They told me that my Jeep normally would be sold in Colorado. I'm not sure why they had it. Who knows, I've heard rumors that dealers lie to sell you things. :eek:

4.3LXJ
02-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I just got to work, it does have heated mirrors. I'm going to switch them out as soon as it's pulled off the road. I'll let everyone know if it works without wiring.

If you are trading parts, get the switch and wiring for the electric mirror. The console may be different.