PDA

View Full Version : Home Security Camera System

Mudderoy
02-07-2010, 07:58 PM
I have mentioned before about my home camera security system. I thought I would post a little more detail here for any of you that might be interested in doing this yourself.

A minimal system would consist of one camera, one security system DVR and some cable. Using a 4 camera max DVR your investment would be about $500. Each additional camera with cable would be another $100.

The cameras I use are 0 lux, and they have Inferred LEDs that will illuminate a target up to 100 feet.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/securitycamera.jpg
The camera

The DVR with a 500GB drive will record up to 12 days of video. That is motion activated video, so you don't have to watch literally days of boring static images. This model has the ability to connect up to 4 cameras to it.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/securitycameradvr.gif
The DVR

Here is a night shot. This was a capture from my computer screen. I view live motion (30 frames per second) through my Internet Explorer browser.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/securitycameranightshot.jpg

The backyard is nearly completely dark, so you can see how much the 32 IR LEDs illuminate the circle in the middle. I am probably going to move this camera higher so I can get a better view of the back yard. Although the backyard is pretty boring. I have been thinking of mounting it where I can see the roof tops and the sky. Might be interesting for meteors and lighting storms.

Here is a video that I pulled from my DVR.

YouTube- Jeep Red LED Rock Crawling Lights

tbone
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
What brand DVR is that and where did you pick it up? I've been looking around for a good deal so I can set one up here at the house. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
02-08-2010, 11:19 PM
What brand DVR is that and where did you pick it up? I've been looking around for a good deal so I can set one up here at the house. :thumbsup:

Have a look at www.gadspot.com.

BlueXJ
02-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Why does it look like the color is washed out?

Mudderoy
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Why does it look like the color is washed out?

IR looks black and white. As the sun goes down, or the outside lights go off you see less color and more shades of gray.

Here is a shot during the day. I chose the night shot because I find the night time views more interesting. It's easy to see what's going on during the day, just look out the window. Night time it's really hard to see, but using the security camera all things are reveled. :D

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/securitycameradayshot.jpg

BlueXJ
02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
IR ok gotcha!!

Mudderoy
02-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I also get e-mails when motion is detected. Now I get to SEE them put crap on my door! :rotfl2:

YouTube- securitycameravideo.wmv

Mudderoy
05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
I mentioned we can view live video feeds on the home televisions before, well here's what it looks like on the living room TV.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/S_FnonHFRxI/AAAAAAAAANk/y3grhqQgXgo/s912/2010-05-17%2000.24.15.jpg

:popcorn:

prerunner1982
05-17-2010, 04:45 PM
I need something like that.... hide some cameras in the trees.

Audio222
07-08-2010, 02:39 AM
That is really cool! I will have to check it out.

cantab27
07-08-2010, 02:50 AM
I also get e-mails when motion is detected. Now I get to SEE them put crap on my door! :rotfl2:

YouTube- securitycameravideo.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdW2XrRKM90)

i think that might be Rene looking for left over red paint .....:D

CT99XJ
07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
That's really cool. We have horses, and this actually would be a cool way to check on them at night without freezing my bawls off in the winter.

Mudderoy
07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
That's really cool. We have horses, and this actually would be a cool way to check on them at night without freezing my bawls off in the winter.

Pretty easy to do. The first thing you should do is take a digital camera and take pictures where you "think" you want the security cameras. Then see if it gives you the information you are looking for. You may need a combination of wide image and close up images. This means two cameras, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than one that has a pan/tilt/zoom control.

CT99XJ
07-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Pretty easy to do. The first thing you should do is take a digital camera and take pictures where you "think" you want the security cameras. Then see if it gives you the information you are looking for. You may need a combination of wide image and close up images. This means two cameras, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than one that has a pan/tilt/zoom control.

Since I have nothing to do this weekend, I might scout out some points... really just need one in each stall and then one in the aisle, but you have a point. I'd hate to have them mounted and then need to completely redo the system simply because one isn't in the right place.

Are the cameras wired or wireless? How do they get power?

Mudderoy
07-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Since I have nothing to do this weekend, I might scout out some points... really just need one in each stall and then one in the aisle, but you have a point. I'd hate to have them mounted and then need to completely redo the system simply because one isn't in the right place.

Are the cameras wired or wireless? How do they get power?

The cameras that I use are wired, and the power is fed through the same cable that carries the video. They are video only, no audio. It is considered "wire tapping" to record audio on a security system. You can record video all day and night as long as the people you are recording are in a place that they would not EXPECT to have privacy. Training your security camera on the neighbor bathroom would be a no no for example. :smiley-laughing021:

I personally do not care for the wireless cameras. Much more expensive and the quality isn't as good, at least to me.

You need to know the distance between the camera(s) and the DVR. 150 feet isn't a problem.

msmoorenburg
07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
How long have you had your camera's up mine started to die after 2 years :thumbdown:

Mudderoy
07-08-2010, 10:44 PM
How long have you had your camera's up mine started to die after 2 years :thumbdown:

December of 2008. 2 of the 12 volt adapters died on mine, but the cameras are doing fine.

bluedragon436
10-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Yeah this would be awesome for the barn we live at... and will def. be doing a good setup once I get my own place and a barn for the wife... so we can do foal watch from the warmth of the house... and be able to check on the barn whenever we hear something going from there..

Mudderoy
10-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Yeah this would be awesome for the barn we live at... and will def. be doing a good setup once I get my own place and a barn for the wife... so we can do foal watch from the warmth of the house... and be able to check on the barn whenever we hear something going from there..

I'm thinking of doing a similar setup on the Jeep. I need to find some equally high quality cameras, smaller, but at the same price.

Video security system but also for fun "can you believe this crap?" videos.

bluedragon436
10-18-2010, 04:37 AM
"can you believe this crap" videos are the best... no matter what type of vehicle they are from...

Mudderoy
02-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Well I've passed the 2 year mark on all the cameras, and other than the crappy 12 volt power adapters, everything is going strong!

Firemanray
02-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the great info. I'm currently looking at cameras and security systems for my business. This info will be usefull.

Mudderoy
02-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the great info. I'm currently looking at cameras and security systems for my business. This info will be usefull.

The cameras were really cheap, and the quality is great, except for the afore mentioned 12 volt power supplies that come with them. I think 3 failed out of the 4. I think the cameras I got were about $68 each.

vwfoolwhy
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
My DVR System saves in H.264 Format.

I was wondering if yours does as well and if it does how do you edit you video files so you could post up on you tube.

I haven't found a converter that works well for the editing software I use so any help would be appreciated.

Mudderoy
03-02-2011, 06:40 PM
My DVR System saves in H.264 Format.

I was wondering if yours does as well and if it does how do you edit you video files so you could post up on you tube.

I haven't found a converter that works well for the editing software I use so any help would be appreciated.

Zoneminder saves events as a series of JPG files. You can then use the program to save a video clip as AVI, WMV, MPG, etc... formats.

If I want a longer video then I must export all the "events" and put them together in a video editing program, then save the whole thing as a output.

DirtBound Offroad
03-16-2011, 06:22 PM
That is cool, I have a Axis web camera down in the garage activated on motion. But Quality sucks and does not do video only stills.

I have wanted a new camera in the garage and then a camera watching the driveway / street where i park the jeep.

Mudderoy
03-16-2011, 07:02 PM
That is cool, I have a Axis web camera down in the garage activated on motion. But Quality sucks and does not do video only stills.

I have wanted a new camera in the garage and then a camera watching the driveway / street where i park the jeep.

I can't afford it right now, but I was looking at the 4 channel low end DVR that gadspot sells, but for the Jeep! It's $110(?) and runs off of 12 volt 3 amps. It doesn't come with a hard drive. I was thinking about setting up my jeep with 3 or 4 small cameras so that I could use it as a security system on the Jeep but also for recording both on road and off road fun.

I have more ideas than money.

These cameras from Gadspot.com have been great, the 12 volt power supplies that came with them are CRAP! Since all the cables are going to feed to the same location it would be pretty easy to buy a decent 12 volt power supply and just hook them all to it. The power is sent through the video cable to the cameras.

Mudderoy
05-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Ok the image below should update every time motion occurs. It will NOT refresh automatically. So check back and see if things change in the back yard.

http://www1.xjtalk.com/images/special/backyard.jpg

jccatt
05-24-2011, 01:09 AM
Waiting for superman to fly past so the image changes lol

bluedragon436
05-24-2011, 05:29 AM
That is pretty cool...

Mudderoy
07-26-2011, 02:10 PM

2 years and 7 months... still ticking...

bluedragon436
07-28-2011, 12:03 AM
I am def. wanting to pick up a setup once I get a place of my own.. especially if I do manage to get divorced and pick up a shop w/ an apartment above it.. I'll def. be in touch when it comes time to pick up equipment and set it up...

pikapp504
07-28-2011, 03:27 PM
My neighborhood isn't the best (but certainly not the worst) and I've been thinking about installing a home security system recently. I've been highly contemplating an X10 system ( www.x10.com ). Anyone familiar with these systems and/or use/have one?

Mudderoy
07-28-2011, 04:32 PM
My neighborhood isn't the best (but certainly not the worst) and I've been thinking about installing a home security system recently. I've been highly contemplating an X10 system ( www.x10.com ). Anyone familiar with these systems and/or use/have one?

I had been wanting to doing an external camera for years and years, but the thought of putting a $500 to $1000 dollar camera outside was just nuts.

I read (now many years ago) that a break through in CMOS imagers could drop camera prices down to $50! I waited checked, and waited and checked. Finally I saw x10 outside camera, color, for $49.95! I got it and ran it to a single video port PCI card that I had bought several years before (before USB on PCs).

It was really cool, but it was only worth watching during the day. I ran it for several years, and fed the video to the internal house TV cable.

Then I happened on gadspot.com and I was shocked SHOCKED I say! To see really nice, metal housed outside cameras that were 0 lux that would auto switch 32 IR LEDs depending on the amount of light available. It was $65!!!! The imaging chip was a SONY, CMOS. This thing sounded like quality, but it was really hard to believe.

I went ahead and risked it by buying two. I couldn't believe the quality. It had manually adjustable zoom and focus. The 32 IR LEDs were TOO bright if the subject was only 5 feet away from it. I was just amazed when I compared it to the plastic POS I got from X10, for $15 more money.

The gadspot cameras are heavy metal construction, aluminum I believe, and pretty big.

If it was me I wouldn't waste my time with x10. For $89 you can get a 4 port DVR. $50 for a hard drive to go in it and then start with one camera, oh and they have outside cameras at gadspot for less than $50 now.

The PVR has motion detect so it only records when it detects movement, or you can record all the time. I use free software that runs on Linux, but I've been considering getting a 16 port PVR for $200 and putting a 1 TB drive in it. That way I can add more cameras to my system. An additional video capture card for my server would be $200 by itself. I might as well have a dedicated piece of equipment that does the same thing, right?

Now I haven't looked at the x10 in years, perhaps they have something much better, but I really doubt it based on the cheap thing I got from them. With that said, that cheap POS camera still works, as far as I know.

pikapp504
08-02-2011, 11:48 AM
the only reason I was considering the X10 system was because it's wireless. Call me lazy, but I really don't feel like crawling up in my attic to run cables (previous owner installed 14" of spray-in insulation right before I bought it). The only downside, is I'm wondering how long the battery-life is on those modules.... Either way, I'm NOT looking to pay a monthly fee for "monitoring" and that's part of why the X10 system looked attractive.

Mudderoy
08-02-2011, 11:50 AM
the only reason I was considering the X10 system was because it's wireless. Call me lazy, but I really don't feel like crawling up in my attic to run cables (previous owner installed 14" of spray-in insulation right before I bought it). The only downside, is I'm wondering how long the battery-life is on those modules.... Either way, I'm NOT looking to pay a monthly fee for "monitoring" and that's part of why the X10 system looked attractive.

Oh there's no way I'd pay a monthly fee. Well maybe if I had millions of dollars it would be ok, but I just have a problem paying reoccurring bills.

I get e-mails when things move outside my house and I can watch the camera directly from any computer or smart phone on the Internet.

pikapp504
08-03-2011, 07:40 AM
yeah, the X10 does that too, and can call/text you when something happens. Does anyone have experience with the X10 systems?

DirtBound Offroad
08-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Mudderoy, do you know what model cameras you bought from gadspot? Our neighborhood has had a lot of car break-ins the last few weeks and I have been wanting to get a working camera in the shop. I would not mind having a few outside and one inside the garage.

Mudderoy
08-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Mudderoy, do you know what model cameras you bought from gadspot? Our neighborhood has had a lot of car break-ins the last few weeks and I have been wanting to get a working camera in the shop. I would not mind having a few outside and one inside the garage.

They don't carry that model any more. From what I can tell the models change, for the better, quite often.

This one would be of similar specs and price to the ones I have. http://www.gadspot.com/p-70-gs637b.aspx

Something you have to consider though. Unless the camera is zoomed in on the vehicle that is further away that just 20 feet you probably won't be able to have an image good enough for the police to arrest anyone.

If your goal is to capture, or worse, the individual, then you would need to rely on motion detection with an alarm. You can do this without a security camera system. Also that motion detection can be hooked to the security system to trigger recording of video as well.

DirtBound Offroad
08-12-2011, 09:13 AM
They don't carry that model any more. From what I can tell the models change, for the better, quite often.

This one would be of similar specs and price to the ones I have. http://www.gadspot.com/p-70-gs637b.aspx

Something you have to consider though. Unless the camera is zoomed in on the vehicle that is further away that just 20 feet you probably won't be able to have an image good enough for the police to arrest anyone.

If your goal is to capture, or worse, the individual, then you would need to rely on motion detection with an alarm. You can do this without a security camera system. Also that motion detection can be hooked to the security system to trigger recording of video as well.

Cool. I normally park on the driveway on the same spot. so it wont be more than 20 -30 ft from the camera location.

07Negative
11-20-2011, 02:14 AM
Only down side to this system is they can easily be ripped right off there mounts. I use the digital watch dog cameras that zoom. No pixelation. You can also do UHF broadband and connect to the internet. I watch my house on my Iphone now.
To protect your cameras. Use the magnets from wireless sensors for windows. Connect the one magnet to the camera and the other to the house or mounting bracket. If someone tries to remove it. It'll trip the house alarm.
I live in East Oakland and have one hell of a home security system.
Youtube a technique called, "Bump Locking." You can buy key kits online and enter anyones house in seconds. Medeco or Multi Lock dead bolts and or door handles can not be picked or bumped. I have the Multi Locks. Pretty sick stuff.
http://www.mul-t-lock.com/. My Multi Lock dealer made me do finger prints to keep on file. Otherwise a duplicate key wont be made.
Had this installed on all windows. 8mm thick film. You can have your window screens wired into your home alarm so if someone bends, slashes the screen. It trips the alarm.
http://www.shattergard.com/

dagr8tim
11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Only down side to this system is they can easily be ripped right off there mounts. I use the digital watch dog cameras that zoom. No pixelation. You can also do UHF broadband and connect to the internet. I watch my house on my Iphone now.
To protect your cameras. Use the magnets from wireless sensors for windows. Connect the one magnet to the camera and the other to the house or mounting bracket. If someone tries to remove it. It'll trip the house alarm.
I live in East Oakland and have one hell of a home security system.
Youtube a technique called, "Bump Locking." You can buy key kits online and enter anyones house in seconds. Medeco or Multi Lock dead bolts and or door handles can not be picked or bumped. I have the Multi Locks. Pretty sick stuff.
http://www.mul-t-lock.com/. My Multi Lock dealer made me do finger prints to keep on file. Otherwise a duplicate key wont be made.
Had this installed on all windows. 8mm thick film. You can have your window screens wired into your home alarm so if someone bends, slashes the screen. It trips the alarm.
http://www.shattergard.com/

Have you heard of 'Locksport'? It's basically guys that get together and practice picking locks (usually while drinking beer).

I've looked into it afew times. It's a great way to see how vulnerable your locks really are.

Joliet Johnny
11-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Have you heard of 'Locksport'? It's basically guys that get together and practice picking locks (usually while drinking beer).

I've looked into it afew times. It's a great way to see how vulnerable your locks really are.

yeah locks only keep out the amateur criminals out and the honest people honest. When I had my 1st place it had those doorknobs that turn when there locked and I was constantly having to wait for the g/f to get home to let me in untill the lady showed me how easy it was to get in using the cardboard from a case of pop or an old credit card. I have moved on to locksport since then, its not really that hard to learn :(

07Negative
11-21-2011, 11:37 PM
I came across that on Youtube. That's what started freakin me out. The other thing about having great door locks, reinforced door frame, etc. It only sends them to a window. That's why I did that film and the screens. If they remove the screen or damage it in any kind of way. It trips the alarm. Bars over windows do nothing. They're really easy to break.
What the ****ers are doing here is using a young kid to get in through a small window. Send em over to open a door. Loot the place and split.
I got hit about 3 months ago. That's why I went balls out. I figure if they can get in after all that. They get to meet my Rottweiler. And of course they never break in when your home. I wouldn't mind a human outline on my hardwood floors.
Ultimately, if someone wants something. They're going to get it. You can do the best you can and that's about it.

Joliet Johnny
11-22-2011, 01:07 AM
The windows in my apartment slide side to side like mini patio doors so I cut down some white PVC and put it in the channel. Also we have 1 door in so I have one of those sticks you wedge into the door to keep it from opening. Just wish landlord would let me install a camera system for the doors to the building and I offered to pay for it.

dagr8tim
11-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I live out alittle ways. My security system is motion lights/flood lights that me & all my neighbors have. If I go out to my garage after dark, my neighbor's yard lights up like a runway. Plus all the neighbors have 75+ dogs that are usually wandering around their yards.

Ofcourse there's always Smith & Wesson as a last line of deterrence.

cherokeejim47
12-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Game Cameras like some hunters put in trees and etc for wild game. Make really nice home protection can be mounted anywhere. And most are Camo and hard to see. I caught a guy stealing Gas from my truck clear enough to prove who he was and what he was up too. I held him for the law and when they came they said they liked my Glock 22 40cal S&W. But the offender did not see it that way.

Mudderoy
12-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Like most people I've been interested in the Pan Tilt and Zoom cameras for several years, but the $500+ price tag quickly turned me away. I was looking for some Zoneminder information (the security software I use for my cameras) today and I happened across this YouTube video. The person that posted the video mentions, that the cameras are cheap ebay from China cameras. Cheap and the clarity of the cameras made me look further.

http://youtu.be/zZaGHFDcTGk

I was able to find a PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) camera, with 1/4" Sony CCD that supports RS-485 controls for $198. It requires a RS-485 to RS-232 adapter so it can be controlled from the Zoneminder software. You can see in the video above how Zoneminder interfaces with the PTZ camera.

I ordered a outside camera, I have a problem with putting security cameras inside my house. I think it would make the family feel funny. Frankly I'm surprised it doesn't make them feel funny when I text them messages about getting the package at the front door, but everyone seems fine with it. :D

Mudderoy
01-12-2012, 10:30 AM
The new PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) camera is in, and :wow: it is much bigger than I expected!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TBQeJT6KCl4/Tw4sEfyJx1I/AAAAAAAABnk/1wVwev_XLWo/s912/20120111_183943.jpg

It's my own fault I didn't look at the measurements in the ebay ad, I just figured it was about half this size.

Everything looks to be very high quality though. I'll be setting it up inside for testing very soon, so more to come!

prerunner1982
01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Wow..that is much larger than I would have expected.

Mudderoy
01-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Wow..that is much larger than I would have expected.

If I had a nickle... :rolleye0012:

XJ Wheeler
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Ooow, you'll be able to catch more people doin stuff. Be sure to put up a video once you finish it.

07Negative
01-21-2012, 10:33 AM
If your mounting that outside. Put a contact on it so if some knuckle head tries to rip it off the house. It'll trip the alarm. Even if it's out of reach.

Converted96XJ
01-21-2012, 05:22 PM
yeah, the X10 does that too, and can call/text you when something happens. Does anyone have experience with the X10 systems?

I am actually a Security technician for a company here in NE Ohio.. and no its not ADT or any of the other big names, just a local company but we are fairly large for the area with almost 5000 accounts. I have done it all with the systems we work with and also of other competitors systems as well.

I havent personally seen an X10 system. I have worked on systems with X10 control capability but I have only seen a handful of houses with x10 devices that control lights and things like that.

I can tell you from experience with a full wireless system that is made by Honeywell or First Alert called the Ready Guard or Lynx system that batteries generally last 1-3 years. these devices i work with take 3v batteries. while the x10 devices probably use AAA batteries you may not get a long life on them

Generally if you have doors you do not use all the time those batteries are going to last longer than doors you go in and out of more often, as everytime you open a door and the reed switch opens and closes it sends a signal to the alarm panel to show its status.

I have also done alot of work with cameras as well. But i would never buy any equipment from my company cause its way to much for a home setup.. I am getting ready to put some cams up at my house.. a few outside and a few inside.. gotta keep an eye on the stepdaughter and making sure people shouldnt be here when they arent supposed to be. But Ill be sourcing them online.

Mudderoy
01-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I am actually a Security technician for a company here in NE Ohio.. and no its not ADT or any of the other big names, just a local company but we are fairly large for the area with almost 5000 accounts. I have done it all with the systems we work with and also of other competitors systems as well.

I havent personally seen an X10 system. I have worked on systems with X10 control capability but I have only seen a handful of houses with x10 devices that control lights and things like that.

I can tell you from experience with a full wireless system that is made by Honeywell or First Alert called the Ready Guard or Lynx system that batteries generally last 1-3 years. these devices i work with take 3v batteries. while the x10 devices probably use AAA batteries you may not get a long life on them

Generally if you have doors you do not use all the time those batteries are going to last longer than doors you go in and out of more often, as everytime you open a door and the reed switch opens and closes it sends a signal to the alarm panel to show its status.

I have also done alot of work with cameras as well. But i would never buy any equipment from my company cause its way to much for a home setup.. I am getting ready to put some cams up at my house.. a few outside and a few inside.. gotta keep an eye on the stepdaughter and making sure people shouldnt be here when they arent supposed to be. But Ill be sourcing them online.

What is your overall opinion of the wireless? I don't care for them and the X10 stuff appears to be uber cheap to me. So much stuff out there now that is as inexpensive yet has good quality.

Converted96XJ
01-22-2012, 02:50 PM
I work the most with the honeywell wireless products. And from my experience I think they are good products. We put them in all the time when wiring isnt an option. the x10 system that was posted does look kinda cheap, but Im sure would function. there are a lot of cheap things out there that i wouldnt want to trust to protect my home.

some products and devices are going to have their issues weather it be wireless or wired.

wireless biggest issue is battery replacement. but batteries last overall 1-3 years, but when you have 20 zones as some people do, and some devices taking 2-3 batteries at $5 each that get add up when you start having to replace it all. Most people dont have that many zones but say you had the following

4 doors, 2 motions, 2 smoke detectors and say a glass break detector. Its a fairly average system and that would consist of 10-16 batteries dependingon what devices were installed

You put in a wired system, the cost is cheaper initially and overall upkeep is cheaper, unless you have some wire hungry mice... lol.

I would always go wired if I could. But I have nothing against the wireless products we work with.

Mudderoy
01-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I mounted the PTZ camera to the server rack last night and proceeded to wire everything up. To my surprise I had it working in about an hour. Well fully functional in an hour, hooking up the power and video is simple.

I used a USB rs232 to rs485 interface to talk to the controller in the PTZ housing.

I need to find the right connector for the small coax coming from the camera, but other than that I should be able to install it outside this weekend.

I'm a little disappointed with the video quality of the SONY camera but I'll wait to pass judgement until it's outside so I can compare it to the other "fixed" cameras. As I expected this PTZ camera will only be useful during the day. The fixed cameras handle the night just fine though.

I don't know if the SONY camera in the PTZ is sensitive to the IR LEDs in the fixed cameras, if so they may provide illumination for night time operations.

Mudderoy
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Here is a video I just recorded from the PTZ camera...

http://youtu.be/kmE3mUM49qE

Mudderoy
06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Do people admire the interior of your Jeep?

http://youtu.be/h2-7r-akFhs

prerunner1982
06-05-2012, 10:16 PM
That PTZ camera seems to work pretty well, decent zoom. Could see the license plate on that Caddy.

As far as the lawn care guy.... I would be leery, but that is just me. I tend not to trust people.

Mudderoy
06-05-2012, 10:47 PM
http://youtu.be/xkTN6uuG6p0

TeXJ
06-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Some good info here. So I guess you, meaning me, would buy a kit with the cameras and software?

bluedragon436
06-07-2012, 01:07 AM
I think home security is very important... and I think cameras just help you and maybe even your neighbors out that much more in the event something does happen.. I think the PTZ setup will definitely be a benefit to your setup...

Mudderoy
06-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Some good info here. So I guess you, meaning me, would buy a kit with the cameras and software?

Well I don't have an experience with a kit. I bought everything separate and used a Linux server with free software. So I wouldn't be the best judge of a "kit" msmoorenburg knows about kits. I think he's happy with his.

TeXJ
06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Well I don't have an experience with a kit. I bought everything separate and used a Linux server with free software. So I wouldn't be the best judge of a "kit" msmoorenburg knows about kits. I think he's happy with his.

could I use Ubunto or even windows7 to run the software? How did you know what you needed to hook everything up. Is there a site with this info I can read and learn?

Mudderoy
06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
could I use Ubunto or even windows7 to run the software? How did you know what you needed to hook everything up. Is there a site with this info I can read and learn?

I installed Zoneminder on my linux server and started reading about on that site. BlueCherry was one of the recommendations for video capture cards, and they have multiple port at 30 fps at a decent price, $120ish I think. Next was cameras from gadspot.com.

Gadspot also has stand alone units you just add a hard drive to. $200 for a 16 port 30 fps unit, just add hard drive and cameras. Cheaper than the route I took, but same cameras.

XJ Wheeler
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
That looks like a nice setup. I know nothin about these but would love to have eyes on the outside. Plus you can stare at your jeeps, in all their red glory.:smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
06-07-2012, 01:39 PM
That looks like a nice setup. I know nothin about these but would love to have eyes on the outside. Plus you can stare at your jeeps, in all their red glory.:smiley-laughing021:

The 2003 TJ and 1998 XJ are both parked in the garage. Only the 99 stays out. :D

Mudderoy
07-06-2012, 02:10 PM

4.3LXJ
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Nice quality. Now you can really identify the perps

Mudderoy
01-02-2013, 12:42 AM

I've been wanting to add some camera to my security system, but it was going to require a new capture card. About $250 before the cameras.

Recently I purchased a dash cam, and well the same company had some relatively cheap ip/wifi security cameras.

They have a PTZ for $156 and an indoor dome camera for about $75. I ordered both. I wanted one for the garage and one for the back yard.

I have installed the back yard camera yet. I have it set up and working just in front of the servers.

I must say I am very impressed. These two cameras have their own website interface. If you were just interested in having one or a couple of security cameras, this would be the way to go. As you can see from the screen capture they will interface with the security camera software I run, so this was really a no brainer!

I killed two birds with one stone. I added cameras and added camera capability to my security system.

These IP cameras have the stanadard RJ45 network connections as well as WiFi. They are both WiFi connected for now, but I'm going to be running network lines to both.

I'm going to move the one in the garage to the front of the garage looking in, primarily because I can't get a network cable to where it is currently, and I don't like the idea of only having a WiFi link to the security camera.

msmoorenburg
01-02-2013, 06:50 AM
link??? :rolleye0012:

Mudderoy
01-02-2013, 08:02 AM
link??? :rolleye0012:

Chinavasion.com same as the dash cam.

TeXJ
01-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Chinavasion.com same as the dash cam.

that's not a link :D

Mudderoy
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
that's not a link :D

Worked for me.

Mudderoy
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
http://cdn.chv.me/images/T2tmaPBd.png

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/ipcam1.png

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/ipcam2.png

:link: (http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/IP_Cameras/PTZ_IP_Cameras/PTZ_Wireless_IP_Camera)

They don't talk about the power of the zoom. It is an optical zoom, and I'll guess it's about a 2x zoom.

bluedragon436
01-03-2013, 09:09 AM
I like the wifi idea, especially since I'm still renting, and can't exactly be drilling holes for cables to be run.. They got a few other PTZ wifi camera's that are a bit cheaper that I think I might go with once I get settled in... especially since I'll be having roommates, and I can put one in the garage to keep an eye on my tools..

Mudderoy
01-03-2013, 09:39 AM
I like the wifi idea, especially since I'm still renting, and can't exactly be drilling holes for cables to be run.. They got a few other PTZ wifi camera's that are a bit cheaper that I think I might go with once I get settled in... especially since I'll be having roommates, and I can put one in the garage to keep an eye on my tools..

One downside I have found to the WiFi, and it may just be my WiFi router but I cannot assign a static IP address to the camera, nor can I set a specific IP address to be assigned via DHCP on the WiFi router.

I keep having to check the DHCP on the WiFi router and then change Zoneminder to reflect the new IP address.

Mudderoy
01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
As you kids would say... MY BAD!

I thought it was pretty strange that you could only use DHCP for the IP cameras, so I went and had another look. Turns out that if DHCP is checked they just don't display where you CAN enter the static network information. I just used to it being grayed out.

Anyway I found where you can set static IP information. Now everything should be much more stable. I still need to see how much bandwidth these two IP cameras are using on the WiFi though.

TeXJ
01-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Worked for me.

to the main site but not the actual item

Mudderoy
01-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Update!

Have the new IP PTZ installed in the back yard. Need to do some internal adjustments to it though and finished up the cleaning up of the cable runs today.

I have it connected via wired IP. Also this image is 1/2 size. All cameras are 640x480.

DirtBound Offroad
01-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Well I finally picked up a cheap DVR system and put cameras up at the shop, I park my VW in the parking lot pretty much every weekend and when we go wheeling. Someone slashed one of my tires so now I wanted to be able to keep a eye on the lot and i figure why not cover the shop with cameras.

I took the photos from my 24" monitor using the web app so its not as clear as sitting with the hidden dvr. The infrared works great both inside and out, and for just a few hundred bucks its a great starter system.

I do love being able to check in with my phone being I live almost an hour from the shop, if the alarm ever goes off I can login real fast and let the alarm company know how to respond.

Brasscatz
01-23-2013, 07:10 PM
nice setup bro! I can't stand people that mess with other peoples' cars. I've had a slashed tire before.... not cool

DirtBound Offroad
02-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Apparently the roof has a small leak and the huge rain storm let water drip on our motion sensor triggering the alarm, my co worker got to meet the sheriff at midnight tonight and they searched the shop...

Im glad it was a false alarm but if it wasn't I would have had evidence of what happened.

Mudderoy
05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
My oldest daughter (now oldest and youngest) drive the 1999 XJ. I asked my oldest to find out when the registration and inspection were due on it.

She'll tell me eventually, but I was curious now. So I tasked the PTZ to answer the question for me. :D

prerunner1982
05-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Very nice!

Mudderoy
05-07-2013, 08:16 PM
I was looking for the sticker I order about a month ago. I had put it on the fridge. I didn't notice the year on the sticker in the picture. They already removed the old one and installed the new one :check: one less thing to do around here! :D