PDA

View Full Version : Need Header Hardware ASAP!!!

jfxj67
02-07-2010, 01:54 AM
I PB Blasted my Exhaust Bolt's prior to replacing my Header for fear of breaking them off. I was planning on replacing them with new one's after i got it torn down, but i couldn't find the right bolt's!

I broke a bolt off during the torque sequence!!!

The Bolt's that i pulled out are 3/8"X1 1/4", but i could only find Grade(8) 3/8"X1" and 3/8"X1 1/2", 16 tpi bolt's at the hardware store. 1" seems to short and 1 1/2" seems to long.

I've been searching online for Header Bolts but coming up with nothing yet...

I've got to get my daily driver to work on Monday,
any suggestions?

4.3LXJ
02-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Go to www.summitracing.com

They will have tons of header bolts in different sizes. Whatever you do, don't use stainless steel, they will break in time.

Mudderoy
02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I PB Blasted my Exhaust Bolt's prior to replacing my Header for fear of breaking them off. I was planning on replacing them with new one's after i got it torn down, but i couldn't find the right bolt's!

I broke a bolt off during the torque sequence!!!

The Bolt's that i pulled out are 3/8"X1 1/4", but i could only find Grade(8) 3/8"X1" and 3/8"X1 1/2", 16 tpi bolt's at the hardware store. 1" seems to short and 1 1/2" seems to long.

I've been searching online for Header Bolts but coming up with nothing yet...

I've got to get my daily driver to work on Monday,
any suggestions?

I lost a bolt replacing my cracked exhaust header a couple of years ago. I still haven't replaced it.

flippedXJ
02-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Use ARP they are the best for a reason

goonybird
02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
I know this thread is a year old, but I know plenty of folks will be helped by it, as I was. 1994 xj, 40.l, aw4, 4x4.
exhaust manifold cracked between 2 pipes in collector.
seafoam treatment showed me where the leak was with smoke and a white residue.. that settled the "where the hell is all that noise coming from?" question.
Got the replacement manifold with the accordian flex joints from NAPA, and a new driver side motor mount as it was toast. I was disappointed that the manifold had Made in China stamped on it.

As careful as I was, I snapped that darn rear manifold stud at the end of my torque sequence... way less that the 23 lbs set on the wrench! (much swearing, packed the tools, closed the hood and starting my search for manifold bolts and head bolts, as the head needs to come off when that rear stud snaps off inside the head).
Came here, got Summit Racing suggestion... ordered 2 sets, will be tackling the 2.5 YJ next. 1994 yj, 2.5L, ax15

Summit had the 4.0L manifold bolts listed but not the head bolts.
Summit requires you to register.. I did, but still couldn't purchase online, so I called them and ordered. <http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-03408/>
Summit part # RNB-03408
Ordered 2/14/2012 online. I'm on Oahu in Hawaii. USPS tracking says they're on the mail truck and I'll have them this afternoon, 2/18/2012.

So I ended up at headbolts.com Dave Crosby, Nashua NH
These guys are so right on! They will now also have the manifold stud, nut and bolt kit in stock for us next week! Yeah Dave and Ohana!!!! Mahalo
Headbolts.com part #: chbs-1128
<http://headbolts.com/Jeep-AMC-232-244-258-4.0-engine-head-bolts.html>
Ordered late Sunday 2/13/2012, they were shipped Monday 2/14/2012.
write them at [email protected] they write right back. =)
They were delivered here in Hawaii Thursday 2/16/2012..

My local Napa, CarQuest and O'reilly stores can't even get them and these folks ( and the US Postal Service ) got them to me in the middle of the freaking Pacific Ocean in 4 DAYS!

When I hear those bought off politicians and media wonks say the USA can't do things right, experiencing the reality of the capability and extreme customer service of US small business and our dedicated Post Office employees that can do this, just shows them up as the greedy liars they are.

Best of luck to all of you, and thank you for posting your projects with pictures and problems you encountered. You've helped us more than you know. One more beer and I start tearing it all apart again, to reinstall with all new studs and bolts after Joe at the Precision Motors machine shop in Kailua gets through with the head.
Big alohas and mahalos,
Mike

LizardRunner
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Sweet! Thanks for that post. ever notice that it's only the politicans and media wonks that can't seem to get it right?

N8N
02-26-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm sure the OP got his heep running a long time ago but in a pinch I've been known to cut a bolt shorter with a cutoff wheel, dress it on a grinder and use it. Using an abrasive cutoff tool with coolant/lube (water or light oil) shouldn't affect the properties of the bolt too much, and honestly, a compromised bolt is better than no bolt at all (just don't let me catch you using Grade 2 stuff on a vehicle... anywhere! I have a story about a simple coolant leak on a Studebaker V-8 ending with me drilling out busted bolt stubs in the engine block, due to some idiot using cheap hardware store bolts...)

I do like ARP hardware though. And anti-seize. Lots and lots of anti-seize.