PDA

View Full Version : Rotated and Balanced

Mudderoy
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
I noticed an unusal wear pattern on the front tires (BFG MTs), so this past Friday I went over to NTB to have the tires rotated and balanced.

Now the last time this happened NAXJA guys told me to replace the shocks. The NTB guys said they thought it was wheel bearing, which I had replaced shortly before going to them. We rotated and balanced at that time and having those "cupped" tires on the rear lined them out.

I'm having cupping again, but instead of it being on the edge of the tire, it's in the center.

Now the NTB guys are telling me it's the shocks.

According to Rough Country the shocks that I have should be fine, but I'm tired of messing with it.

What I would like to know what is a good shock for large tires, but I don't want to break the bank buying them.

I am planning to go to 6.5" lift maybe in the next year or so, can I get a shock that would work for a 4.5" to 6.5" lift, or will I just have to buy new shocks when I go to the 6.5" lift?

I have the least expensive Rough Country shocks. I don't recall the model, but I can look it up if necessary.

Thanks in advance for you help!

xjjeepthing
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
It could be shocks , it could be an air pressure issue. Have you checked the tread pattern?
Take chalk make a line across the face of the tire, drive for a short distant. If the center of the chalk is gone over inflated, outer edge under inflated. With 32" and 10" wheels cant go the normal 32 LBS

Mudderoy
04-26-2009, 07:12 PM
It could be shocks , it could be an air pressure issue. Have you checked the tread pattern?
Take chalk make a line across the face of the tire, drive for a short distant. If the center of the chalk is gone over inflated, outer edge under inflated. With 32" and 10" wheels cant go the normal 32 LBS

Over inflation is what I thought it was. Why would 32 with 10" wheels mean lower pressure? I thought the wider wheel would allow the tire to remain flatter.

DETOURS
04-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Over inflation is what I thought it was. Why would 32 with 10" wheels mean lower pressure? I thought the wider wheel would allow the tire to remain flatter.

Nope....get a crayon.....scribe a straight line across the tread......drive a mile or less, adjust air preasure to even wear............wear will vary on climate thru-out the day...........one day at Paragon, I had to deflate 3 different times to mantain proper preasure due to the sun.

For street wear, deflate and move to Nitrogen Gas, tire wear will become consistant. (Most every race car out ther, runs nitrogen for consistant air preasure thru-out a race)

xjjeepthing
04-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Thats what I said LOL

2000XJ
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Rubicon Express Monotubes are nice shocks, as are Bilsteins, but they're both a little more on the expensive side. Most times, you can buy shocks good for 4.5-5.5", but 4.5-6.5" shocks are usually harder to find - if they're even available.

muddeprived
04-27-2009, 07:51 AM
My gf's brother is having the cupping issue to. He's running rusty's cheap shocks. When i drove it, it was VERY soft, almost like there were no shocks. I'm used to a bit of a firm ride from lifted suspensions. I would recommend old man emu but they don't have the size for your future height so my next vote would go to blisteins. Pricey too but worth the $$. I run skyjacker hydros on my jeeps because they are valved for our lightweight jeeps and are not harsh shocks. They come in a variety of sizes too, even 6-8" lift. You can purchase 6-8" shocks and bumpstop the hell out of your suspension so it doesn't fully compress the shock until you get up higher Or you can get shocks sized for your current lift and grab a set of rear shock relocators from Mark and fab up some easily for the front to lengthen the shocks so they work with your higher lift.

4wd has a sale going on on multiple brands:

http://www.4wd.com/categories.aspx?cid=17

kryptonitexj
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I Run Procomp MX-6's all the way around. Their great shocks. Lift time warrenty. I just replaced three out of four (2 years old). I was even able to upgrade my front shocks to longer ones for my soon to be 5.5in lift. And he threw in the stub delete adapters. 4wp is great.:cheerleader: