PDA

View Full Version : starting issues

hoerter2158
02-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Well ik that my starters taking a s***. But when it works normal it takes a while to get it started. Ill usually crank it for 2 seconds, turn the key back off then back on and another 2 seconds it will start. Im guessing the fuel regulator, but im not positive.

rguignard
02-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Well ik that my starters taking a s***. But when it works normal it takes a while to get it started. Ill usually crank it for 2 seconds, turn the key back off then back on and another 2 seconds it will start. Im guessing the fuel regulator, but im not positive.

ck fuel press. then ck spark but ive read somewere that the crank sen. will do that the most :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
02-05-2010, 08:57 AM
In addition...

Yeah do the simple thing first on the CPS, disconnect it and reconnect it. I've had at least one person find that it was just a intermittent connection. Oh, another thing to check is the ground to the engine. Just make sure it's there. A strap running from the firewall the engine (if it's like mine).

When was the last time you did a tune up? I mean you may still have a starter issue but at least what little it works it may not have to work as long or as hard.

4.3LXJ
02-05-2010, 11:20 AM
It could also be something as simple as heat soak. You just need to get the vapor out of the fuel system before it will start.

BlueXJ
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
It could also be something as simple as heat soak. You just need to get the vapor out of the fuel system before it will start.

Good point but (depending upon the year) many Cherokees are designed to be a slow starter.

prerunner1982
02-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Mine typically takes a bit to start, not so much now that I put a new starter in it. It would normally take a couple of seconds to start. Very rarely did I ever have to back off and try again though....

I am not sure if Cherokees have them but the fuel could be flowing back to the pump rather than staying in the lines. So instead of fuel being right at the engine it has to push it all the way from the tank.

BlueXJ
02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Your new starter helped in that it was stronger and turned the engine at a faster speed. Many have a computer system that requires the engine RPMs turned by the starter to reach 300 before ignition is switched on.

TheWeiss
02-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Whcih XJ's have the longer startups? I'd be interested to know...

flippedXJ
02-15-2010, 05:18 PM
my dads 91 seems to crank longer than my 96

XJ4IV
02-15-2010, 09:20 PM
XJ's starters are too dang finicky I installed a switch and I don't have to worry about anything anymore I try the key once if it don't work I push the button and she starts right up every time