PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust hood height?

Mudderoy
04-26-2009, 03:41 PM
I noticed my hood sits up a fraction of an inch higher than the nose. I don't think it used to be like that. I was looking at the latches yesterday and I don't see any apparent adjustments.

It must be there somewhere. Anyone know how to adjust the hood down an 1/8 of an inch?

muddeprived
04-27-2009, 08:06 AM
I noticed my hood sits up a fraction of an inch higher than the nose. I don't think it used to be like that. I was looking at the latches yesterday and I don't see any apparent adjustments.

It must be there somewhere. Anyone know how to adjust the hood down an 1/8 of an inch?

Jump on it.

I want to know this too cuz mine is the same way. It was in a front end collision before and rebuilt.

Mudderoy
04-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Jump on it.

I want to know this too cuz mine is the same way. It was in a front end collision before and rebuilt.

I think mine is like that because of my front end collision, no rebuild though.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/OreilyAccident4.JPG

BlueXJ
04-27-2009, 10:00 AM
I think the hood comes to rest on two rubber pads that are like refrigerator feet and can be screwed in or out to adjust the hood's resting place. I am just trying to picture this in my mind as my Jeep is getting a new headliner and thus is not currently here.

Mudderoy
04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
I think the hood comes to rest on two rubber pads that are like refrigerator feet and can be screwed in or out to adjust the hood's resting place. I am just trying to picture this in my mind as my Jeep is getting a new headliner and thus is not currently here.

I think this may be different depending on the year of the vehicle. I'll get a picture of mine so you can see what I'm talking about.

Howler_GT
05-02-2009, 11:51 AM
The hood latching on XJ's is a little different than you normal car/truck.

The XJ utilizes two outboard latches and a center secondary hook.

In the center next to the hook is the rubber bumper that can be adjusted to either lower or raise the center of the hood. This bumper can also be adjusted out to 'tighten-up' the hood at rest.

IF after adjusting this bumper, your hood is still too high/too low, the latches need to be adjusted.
Well, not actually the latches themselves but the bar the latches grab.

The latch bar height is adjusted by adding/removing washers under the radiator support side of the bar.

This pic shows better:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2654/0000005x.jpg

The lower portion of this mount has a screw that needs to be loosened before the adding of washers.
The lower mount SHOULD be slotted to allow the adjustment.
NOTE: This adjustment can take a bit of time as the bolts need to be unearthed from thier hiding spots.

If you are impatient (like most of us) A small piece of wood and a BFH can make quick (not often purdy) work of the adjustment process.
Simply, hit the bar in the center where the latch attaches. But remember...this works only ONE WAY. IF you need to raise the mounting point...start digging.

Mudderoy
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
The hood latching on XJ's is a little different than you normal car/truck.

The XJ utilizes two outboard latches and a center secondary hook.

In the center next to the hook is the rubber bumper that can be adjusted to either lower or raise the center of the hood. This bumper can also be adjusted out to 'tighten-up' the hood at rest.

IF after adjusting this bumper, your hood is still too high/too low, the latches need to be adjusted.
Well, not actually the latches themselves but the bar the latches grab.

The latch bar height is adjusted by adding/removing washers under the radiator support side of the bar.

This pic shows better:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2654/0000005x.jpg

The lower portion of this mount has a screw that needs to be loosened before the adding of washers.
The lower mount SHOULD be slotted to allow the adjustment.
NOTE: This adjustment can take a bit of time as the bolts need to be unearthed from thier hiding spots.

If you are impatient (like most of us) A small piece of wood and a BFH can make quick (not often purdy) work of the adjustment process.
Simply, hit the bar in the center where the latch attaches. But remember...this works only ONE WAY. IF you need to raise the mounting point...start digging.

Thanks. I thought about bending the bar but figured there must be a better way. Now I just need to see how hard it is to get to that screw.