PDA

View Full Version : Getting Long Arms vs. Standard Lift... advice

GreenXJosh
02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey all,
Well, I am finally ready to begin my XJ build. Forever now Ive just been talking about it (you know how it is! ha), but I now I'm 99% ready to begin purchase and prep.

I think I am going with Rusty's 6.5-inch (maybe just 4.5-inch) with the full spring pack. I have heard good things about Rusty's and they are not much more than RC.

6.5-inch lift (full 6.5-inch leaf pack)
adjustable lower control arms
Bilstein shocks
SYE kit w/CV driveshaft
4.10 gears
steering stabilizer
62mm Throttle Body; intake/exhaust upgrades

Well, I was wondering if upgrading to a Long Arm kit is worth it. Most kits are considerable more to go Long Arm, but if it's better in the long run, I am more than willing to invest in them. I will definitely being doing some off-road riding, but I doubt it will be extreme. I spend a lot of time up in the mountain for camping and such...
Long Arms seem to be more for rock crawling and such, right?
I am just asking for opinions and advice.

Thanks in advance.

4.3LXJ
02-01-2010, 06:17 PM
It is really a must if you are going with a 6.5". It is doable with short arms but gives a harsh ride. Long arms perform much better off road.

GreenXJosh
02-01-2010, 11:33 PM
What about going 4.5-inch? Long Arms necessary for that, if I'll just be doing minor off-road?

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Long arms aren't mandatory. You can do 6.5" lift on short arms, it will just be rough. You'll get better on road and off road abilities with the long arm.

The neat thing is Rough Country makes a full long arm lift or a long arm kit. I have the RC 4.5" lift, and I plan on going to 6.5" of lift and the RC 6.5 long arm kit. Don't ask me when, but someday. :thumbsup:

GreenXJosh
02-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Don't ask me when, but someday. :thumbsup:

...Yeah, I know how that is.

I guess that's what I needed to hear. It's tough making such a large purchase when I'm not 100% sure about what I'm doing and if I'm making the right decision.
Appreciate the input.

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 12:22 AM
You know what I did was get the lift I could afford and one I didn't have to do a SYE with, the 4.5" lift with AAL. Later I bought the 4.5" leaf springs and the shackles that came with the AAL kit means I have a 5.5" or 6.5" rear lift. So now I just need to put in 2" spacers or get 6.5" springs and I'll have a 6.5" lift. Of course there are some front end parts I'll need to worry about, drop pitman arm I'm pretty sure. Once I'm at 6.5" then I can get the long arm kit.

I'm leaning towards the 6.5" springs, if I can find a RC set cheap. But getting to 6.5" that won't be an issue until I'm ready to go to the 35" tires.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Why don't you settle for 4.5" of lift? That will allow you to run 33" tires which is plenty big for most things. When you get to 6.5" and up you also run into steering up grades that start becoming necessary. Ask me how I know. Also with 35" tires there are axle upgrades that start becoming necessary. So if it is a budget thing and you are new to this, I would suggest going with Rough Country 4.5" and then you can upgrade the hardware later. That is true really for almost any brand. You can buy the extra hardware separately later.

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Why don't you settle for 4.5" of lift? That will allow you to run 33" tires which is plenty big for most things. When you get to 6.5" and up you also run into steering up grades that start becoming necessary. Ask me how I know. Also with 35" tires there are axle upgrades that start becoming necessary. So if it is a budget thing and you are new to this, I would suggest going with Rough Country 4.5" and then you can upgrade the hardware later. That is true really for almost any brand. You can buy the extra hardware separately later.

And there is additional changes needed for the braking system.

GreenXJosh
02-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Also with 35" tires there are axle upgrades that start becoming necessary. So if it is a budget thing and you are new to this, I would suggest going with Rough Country 4.5" and then you can upgrade the hardware later. That is true really for almost any brand. You can buy the extra hardware separately later.

I will probably never run anything bigger than 33's, so that's more reason to stay lower than 6.5".
Also, I just figured that I should get a SYE and driveshaft even with 4.5-inch, just to play it safe, along with steering stabilizer and what-not.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Good idea.

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 12:46 AM
I will probably never run anything bigger than 33's, so that's more reason to stay lower than 6.5".
Also, I just figured that I should get a SYE and driveshaft even with 4.5-inch, just to play it safe, along with steering stabilizer and what-not.

lol I keep finding more interesting things to buy for the Jeep other than a SYE. I really should have started with the SYE.

GreenXJosh
02-02-2010, 12:56 AM
lol I keep finding more interesting things to buy for the Jeep other than a SYE. I really should have started with the SYE.

lol. Money really isn't the issue. So, like I said, even if I just do 4.5" Ill probably still get the SYE and driveshaft with it. I like the idea of getting the AAL kit and then a full leaf pack to get an extra inch or so.
And the Long Arm kit.... probably not until I do anything bigger than 4.5", although it too would be nice to have as far as 'playing it safe' goes. There's a lot to think about. I think in some situations it's a win-win either way, depending how you look at it.

xjredneck
02-02-2010, 01:28 AM
hey whats a SYE?

4.3LXJ
02-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Slip Yoke Eliminator. It is a new tail housing that is shorter and tcase output shaft that changes the slip yoke on the drive line to a yoke on the shaft and a CV joint. Here is a drawing.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/cv_angle.gif

UKJeepThang
02-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Not trying to repeat what everybody has said already but if you are going to go to 6.5" I'd definately go LA. SA will give you a very harsh ride. You could go SA with a set of drop brackets but then you will be losing clearance. Do it right first time.

With regards to an SYE, you are definately going to need one to reduce the driveline vibrations. I've read that some people run 4.5" with no vibes but I reckon that is in the minority.

My personal opinion is that unless you are going rock crawling, there is no point in going to a 6.5" LA set up. Expensive and you will need a lot more extras such as steering upgrades, stronger axles (if you are planning to go greater than 33" on your 6.5" LA) etc etc. I'm running a Rubicon 4.5" Superflex with SYE/CV and 33"'s and it suits me fine. Get's me through most obstacles having said that there is not a lot of rock crawling here in the UK, it's all mud and water.

But good luck with whatever you go with. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 08:58 AM
lol. Money really isn't the issue. So, like I said, even if I just do 4.5" Ill probably still get the SYE and driveshaft with it. I like the idea of getting the AAL kit and then a full leaf pack to get an extra inch or so.
And the Long Arm kit.... probably not until I do anything bigger than 4.5", although it too would be nice to have as far as 'playing it safe' goes. There's a lot to think about. I think in some situations it's a win-win either way, depending how you look at it.

I assume everyone is poor like me. If money isn't a problem, then for me 6.5" long arm kit, brake upgrade, steering upgrade and curry front end. Tom Woods SYE. Might want to go ahead and replace the axles with Dana 44s.

GreenXJosh
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Not trying to repeat what everybody has said already but if you are going to go to 6.5" I'd definately go LA. SA will give you a very harsh ride. You could go SA with a set of drop brackets but then you will be losing clearance. Do it right first time.

With regards to an SYE, you are definately going to need one to reduce the driveline vibrations. I've read that some people run 4.5" with no vibes but I reckon that is in the minority.

My personal opinion is that unless you are going rock crawling, there is no point in going to a 6.5" LA set up. Expensive and you will need a lot more extras such as steering upgrades, stronger axles (if you are planning to go greater than 33" on your 6.5" LA) etc etc. I'm running a Rubicon 4.5" Superflex with SYE/CV and 33"'s and it suits me fine. Get's me through most obstacles having said that there is not a lot of rock crawling here in the UK, it's all mud and water.

But good luck with whatever you go with. :thumbsup:
Sounds good. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I assume everyone is poor like me.

Haha. I didn't mean that in a snobby way... I'm young :cool:; so in one sense I have money to burn.

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Haha. I didn't mean that in a snobby way... I'm young :cool:; so in one sense I have money to burn.

Not taken that way at all. I made an assumption that is normally right. Glad to hear it isn't right all the time. :patriot:

x2elite
02-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm currently running 6.5" of lift and short arms, on drop brackets. My setup works great as well. However, I will very likely be building a full custom long arm kit in the next few months.

4.3LXJ
02-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Good luck on that

BlueXJ
02-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Good idea.

X2 and wait on a little while and I can tell you how 4" on long arms works out for me on my MJ.