PDA

View Full Version : 4WD light on dash

HarleyRider
02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
This morning when I got into the jeep and fired it up I noticed that the 4WD light was on. The only thing was I was in 2WD at the time. I shifted to neutral and shifted from 2WD to 4WD HI then N then 4WD L and back again. It stayed on while backing up then when I shifted into drive it was out. I noticed in the Haynes manual these a 4WD switch in the diagrams in the back, where is this switch located and can it be cleaned? :confused:

BlueXJ
02-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I think it is part of the linkage but not real sure.

rguignard
02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
mine is in the tc by the speed o gear :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Since you have the disconnect on the axle, it is the axle vacuum that operates it. Mine is right under the heater motor back on the fire wall. There is a vacuum line going to it. The models that have no disconnect have the switch in the back of the tcase.

HarleyRider
02-01-2010, 06:45 PM
It's out for now. After backing up a few feet then putting in drive it has gone out. My friend who has been a jeep owner for several years now told that sometimes they hang up and that you have drive in reverse for 10 to 20 feet to get it to disengage.

Like I said it was the first time I've seen this light on, even while in 4WD. I'm still working on burnt out lights and some minor stuff. Nothing to do with the 4WD though.

Thanks for all of your inputs.

4.3LXJ
02-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Yes, that is true. You can force it into 4WD, but when you move the lever to 2WD there is only a little spring inside the tcase that actually pushes it out of gear so it can take a little while to actually get out of 4WD.