PDA

View Full Version : gas smell inside the jeep

alwaysxj
02-01-2010, 11:57 AM
so now that it is cold with the heater going i smell gas really strong coming out of the vents. And when i went to warm up the jeep today their was a pretty good puddle of gas coming out of the tail pipe.

what good this be and what do i need to do to fix it. i about pass out everytime i drive it for a long time.

thanks for the help. oh and if this helps i have a 88 jeep with really bad mpg.
:driving::popcorn:

Mudderoy
02-01-2010, 12:03 PM
so now that it is cold with the heater going i smell gas really strong coming out of the vents. And when i went to warm up the jeep today their was a pretty good puddle of gas coming out of the tail pipe.

what good this be and what do i need to do to fix it. i about pass out everytime i drive it for a long time.

thanks for the help. oh and if this helps i have a 88 jeep with really bad mpg.
:driving::popcorn:

Don't drive it! The next pics you post will be of a Jeep on fire!

alwaysxj
02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
ya but i think that would be the best thing that could happen for this jeep. jk
no ideas then?

Mudderoy
02-01-2010, 12:26 PM
ya but i think that would be the best thing that could happen for this jeep. jk
no ideas then?

Well I had some, but this is so serious I thought it best I don't guess about it. Better to wait and let someone that has information on the older model XJs. I've only ever had the one I have now, the 1998.

Do you have fuel sitting on top of the intake?

alwaysxj
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Well I had some, but this is so serious I thought it best I don't guess about it. Better to wait and let someone that has information on the older model XJs. I've only ever had the one I have now, the 1998.

Do you have fuel sitting on top of the intake?

no not that i can see. and with it just siting thier the motor area does not really smell like gas it is just inside. i thought it was just that i had a old bucket with gas and oil in it and that was were the smell was coming from i took it out and it still smells. so i don't know.

Mudderoy
02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
no not that i can see. and with it just siting thier the motor area does not really smell like gas it is just inside. i thought it was just that i had a old bucket with gas and oil in it and that was were the smell was coming from i took it out and it still smells. so i don't know.

Yep, I'm hoping for BlueXJ or 4.3LXJ will jump in here and have an answer for you. I'm curious what it could be as well.

alwaysxj
02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Yep, I'm hoping for BlueXJ or 4.3LXJ will jump in here and have an answer for you. I'm curious what it could be as well.

well thanks for the help i need to get this taken care of before it starts on fire. come on guys.

flippedXJ
02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
are you sure that it was gas coming out of the tail pipe and not water (condensation)
also how does it run - does it act like it is missing as in it may not be running on all cylinders? I cant remember but is that old enough that it is carburated or is it still FI? If carburated sounds like a float is stuck and it is dumping in too much fuel

tbone
02-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I have an 88 also and I had the same problem with the gas smell. It ended up being a couple of my injectors leaking. At first we couldn't see any signs of gas on the intake but as it got worse you could see the gas. I would check this out ASAP, it will cause a serious fire, please find it and fix it before you drive it any more. Try watching the injector's while it is running, and use a fashlight, it makes it easier to see. :patriot:

Mudderoy
02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Don't forget to replace the "O" rings, and soak them in gas before installing.

alwaysxj
02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
are you sure that it was gas coming out of the tail pipe and not water (condensation)
also how does it run - does it act like it is missing as in it may not be running on all cylinders? I cant remember but is that old enough that it is carburated or is it still FI? If carburated sounds like a float is stuck and it is dumping in too much fuel

i let it drip on my hand and it smelled like gas to me. i know water will come out but i did not think alot would come out.

Mudderoy
02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
i let it drip on my hand and it smelled like gas to me. i know water will come out but i did not think alot would come out.

I was thinking leaky injector when you first posted, but I wasn't sure you even had injectors on a rig that old.

flippedXJ
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM

there may have been some gas mixed in with it but I have seen decent amounts of water come out of a tailpipe in wintertime - I agree with the injector idea and the fact that it is imperative that you get this fixed before you have a fire. the gas in the exhaust is generaly because of unburnt fuel - which may be due to bad plugs. but the combination of the smell in the cabin and bad milage means you have a leak under the hood - check your fuel rail, injectors, regulator, fuel lines etc.

4.3LXJ
02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
OK I jumped in. My first thought is that the liquid coming out of the tail pipe is really water. A cold tail pipe will condense the hot water vapor in exhaust and turn it to liquid. I don't see how it would be possible to get liquid gasoline past the cat.

The second thing is that you might have a small leak under the hood and it is being sucked in through the HVAC system when you warm it up.

The third thing is when was the O2 sensor replaced last? A worn out sensor will cause it to run rich and give you crappy milage.

alwaysxj
02-02-2010, 09:59 AM
i think i got it fixed. it was leaking at the FPR were the hard line goes in to it.

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
i think i got it fixed. it was leaking at the FPR were the hard line goes in to it.

Any idea why? Had you worked there recently?

alwaysxj
02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Any idea why? Had you worked there recently?

no i have not done anything to it. so i have no idea why it is leaking.:stars:

BlueXJ
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
I have only had that happen when the fuel pressure regulator was leaking some fuel past the quick disconnect. Replaced the FPR and voila no more gas smell.

alwaysxj
02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
I have only had that happen when the fuel pressure regulator was leaking some fuel past the quick disconnect. Replaced the FPR and voila no more gas smell.

yep that is what im going to do when i can get the $71.99 that they want for it.

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
yep that is what im going to do when i can get the $71.99 that they want for it.

$59.99 :link: (http://www.cyberjeep.com/prodinfo.asp?number=83503635&)

$55.76 :link: (http://4wdtruck.com/jeepparts/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=504_505&products_id=17782&zenid=3c884d08ef71f7db7f424e3346320717)

$40.00 FREE SHIPPING :link: (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-1987-90-Jeep-Cherokee-Wagoneer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d27e0ba42QQit emZ400100997698QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5 fAccessories)

alwaysxj
02-02-2010, 01:15 PM
sweet i will have to get one of those ordered. i am going to be a fire fighter but i do not want to fight my first fire on my own jeep so i need to get this fixed soon. thanks everyone for the help.

Mudderoy
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
sweet i will have to get one of those ordered. i am going to be a fire fighter but i do not want to fight my first fire on my own jeep so i need to get this fixed soon. thanks everyone for the help.

Verify it's the right part for your Jeep, I was guessing at it. You might want to have a fire extinguisher or a heavy blanket. I know the fire extinguishers can be expensive too.