PDA

View Full Version : hello and help!!!!!

xjredneck
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
hey everyone im mike and i need help!?!?!?!?!?! i have a 2000 xj and a hum coming out of the rear, i have no clue... i was wheeling the other day and lost my fill plug on the pumpkin and ran the fluid out. only time get the hum is when i give it gas, i let off the gas it goes away an idea what it could be? is it tranny or driveshaft or the rear itself?? also why would i have grease squeezing out of where the driveshaft enters the rear axle(dana 35)...

please i need help love this xj and dont want a new one

Mudderoy
01-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Welcome. Well a silly question, did you refill the diff and replace the plug?

If so what did you fill it with? How long did you drive it without fluid?

Keep in mind you can replace the entire rear end with a junk yard axle, Chrysler for probably $150 to $180. Shouldn't take but a couple of hours to replace, so I wouldn't worry too much about losing the rig.

BTW, I see that you were blacklisted by the site. That only happens if you try to connect several times from the same PC. What did you do? Just curious. You are automatically removed after 5 minutes.

xjredneck
01-28-2010, 03:08 PM
i forgot my password... i drove for about 45 miles before i realized it was missing... never expected to loss that but yes i refilled it with 85w 140 lucas rear end fluid and i wnt to the junkyard and got a plugnot to sure what it can be

Mudderoy
01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
i forgot my password... i drove for about 45 miles before i realized it was missing... never expected to loss that but yes i refilled it with 85w 140 lucas rear end fluid and i wnt to the junkyard and got a plugnot to sure what it can be

Someone will be here shortly that has more experience with this than I do. I've never had this happen to me.

My first guess would be a bearing that needs to be replaced. Most likely one of the two bearings that hold the carrier in the pumkin. My next guess would be the ring or the pinion.

How loud is the noise?

When you get a chance go to "User CP" and fill out your Jeep information. I just hit the drop down next to your name and all it tells me is your XJ is a 2000.

xjredneck
01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
how hard would it be to do a bearing never really worked on a rear before swaped one out never messed with the guts of one though

Mudderoy
01-28-2010, 03:44 PM
how hard would it be to do a bearing never really worked on a rear before swaped one out never messed with the guts of one though

Well if you have a Chrysler 8.25 and it is the inner bearing it's pretty tough. You have to set up the carrier. Let's give a few more opinions in here about what your problem is first though.

xj4life2
01-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Sounds like you lost or are loosing bearings in the rear end.I would strongly recomend changing the bearings out before more damage is done. Any rear end job is tough becaus you must get the patttern correct or you will do more damage to the unit. If you have never done one, I would suggest haveing someone there that has or have it done professionally (I wont do my own, I'm no good at it). The bearing kit or install kit can run about $90.00. Hope this helps.

rguignard
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Well if you have a Chrysler 8.25 and it is the inner bearing it's pretty tough. You have to set up the carrier. Let's give a few more opinions in here about what your problem is first though.

if it was me i would just go to the jy and get a 8.8 out of a ford. its going to be the bearings or ring and pinion. it does take special tools to do that kind of work. :thumbdown:not something to try by yourself at least have someone help you that has done it

xjredneck
01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
sounds like i may have been alittle rough on my rig huh??? its the first time i went in mud and water that deep with this truck... how long do you think this job could take to do professionally???

xj4life2
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
if it was me i would just go to the jy and get a 8.8 out of a ford. its going to be the bearings or ring and pinion. it does take special tools to do that kind of work. :thumbdown:not something to try by yourself at least have someone help you that has done it

Doubt seriously its the ring and pinion unless he has alot of grinding noise back there and he said "hum". Junkyard bearings are a huge gamble as you don't know anything about how they were treated in thier past life.or how long they have been sitting in the yard. Even when I sourse a diff from a yard I go throught it and replace all the bearings,seals and check the pattern before I install it. Its just not worth the risk

Mudderoy
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
You can ask around, but I think the going rate to set up an axle is about $350, and that's just the labor not the parts.

That's why I said an axle from a junk yard would be cheaper.

xjredneck
01-28-2010, 04:12 PM
would i be better off just switching the gears out and changing it to 4.10's

xj4life2
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
sounds like i may have been alittle rough on my rig huh??? its the first time i went in mud and water that deep with this truck... how long do you think this job could take to do professionally???

Nope , just had a little bad luck. We normally charge 7hrs to do a complete bearing swap and pattern.

xjredneck
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
would it be worth it to switch the whole rear end or change my gear ratio???

xj4life2
01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
would i be better off just switching the gears out and changing it to 4.10's

Only if your prepared to do the front at the same time

xjredneck
01-28-2010, 04:17 PM
what would you recommend for a guy who drives 60 miles a day on road and about 40 miles a weekend offroad??? front and back.

alwaysxj
01-28-2010, 04:52 PM
how big is your lift? i have a humming noise but it is my drive shaft i need a sye kit mine only makes noise when i let off the gas aswell.

alwaysxj
01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
never mind i see you only have 3 inch i would say it is the bearings.

xjredneck
01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
so far nothing but bad news i only replaces a rear before never messed wit the guts of on i think my mechanic can do this one

4.3LXJ
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm getting here a little late on this one. But if the differential is run dry or with very little oil, the first thing to go is the smooth surface on the face of the gears. Since the noise only is under power, then I am very sure that is the cause and that just changing bearings while beneficial will not solve the problem. My opinion is that the differential will survive for a while, but will just be noisy. But if you want to fix it, then the best thing and cheapest would be to go for a used rear end. They can be had, in fact there are some guys on NAXJA that will give them away or let them go for very cheap. If you look around you might find one with 4.10 out of a four banger if you want to go lower and pick up the front with it and you will have a instant gear change for less than setting up new parts.

4.3LXJ
01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
One more thing. I was kind of asleep at the switch. There is an additive called Power Punch you can put in your differential. It comes in honey color and black. Get the black stuff. It has what looks like metal filings in it. They are molybdenum which is soft. It gets ground into the imperfections and can quiet gears in situations like this. It is cheap enough it is worth a try.

BlueXJ
01-29-2010, 12:01 AM
That stuff works. I have stretched a rear end change to nearly a year after putting some of that black goop in my rear diff (D35)

xj4life2
01-29-2010, 11:21 AM
One more thing. I was kind of asleep at the switch. There is an additive called Power Punch you can put in your differential. It comes in honey color and black. Get the black stuff. It has what looks like metal filings in it. They are molybdenum which is soft. It gets ground into the imperfections and can quiet gears in situations like this. It is cheap enough it is worth a try.

I love power punch its the greatest but I never heard of the black stuff . Gonna call Levens today and see if they have it and get some.It could be handy to have around. I've used the Power Punch in the oil since I got this XJ.Awesome product

4.3LXJ
01-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I love power punch its the greatest but I never heard of the black stuff . Gonna call Levens today and see if they have it and get some.It could be handy to have around. I've used the Power Punch in the oil since I got this XJ.Awesome product

Napa has it.

xj4life2
01-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks on the phone now !!! By the way thier product for the transfer case works great at getting rid of the noise assoc with haveing an older 231