PDA

View Full Version : 89 XJ dies randomly

YellowSub2000
01-25-2010, 11:44 AM
So I got my XJ out of the garage today (Been working on it for almost a year). It ran just fine in the garage. Got it up to temperature. No problems. I drive it out of the garage, shortly dies. Start it up, dies. Start it up gently pressing the gas, it sometimes runs but revs, or runs fine, then dies. I had to drive it back to the garage with my foot constantly pressing the gas pedal, gently. And my other foot pressing the brake for turns, interesting when there is no front sway bar. hahaha

Anyone have any ideas? The ECU is new. Fuel pump turns on and pressurizes when the key is turned to "ON". And runs fine when in park. (In the garage)

I also noticed my fuel gauge, which reads fine normally. Peeked out past full, and the low fuel light would flicker a little.

I'm thinking the Fuel Pump needs to be replaced. Anyone have any ideas?

finneys98xj
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
CPS(Crank postioning sensor)

Mudderoy
01-25-2010, 12:33 PM
So I got my XJ out of the garage today (Been working on it for almost a year). It ran just fine in the garage. Got it up to temperature. No problems. I drive it out of the garage, shortly dies. Start it up, dies. Start it up gently pressing the gas, it sometimes runs but revs, or runs fine, then dies. I had to drive it back to the garage with my foot constantly pressing the gas pedal, gently. And my other foot pressing the brake for turns, interesting when there is no front sway bar. hahaha

Anyone have any ideas? The ECU is new. Fuel pump turns on and pressurizes when the key is turned to "ON". And runs fine when in park. (In the garage)

I also noticed my fuel gauge, which reads fine normally. Peeked out past full, and the low fuel light would flicker a little.

I'm thinking the Fuel Pump needs to be replaced. Anyone have any ideas?

A member recently had the same issue. It was the ground on the back of the block. When he gave it gas, it torqued the engine and it would make a better ground. Take foot off the throttle and the engine would move back and loose the ground. That was his issue, may not be yours, but worth checking. Yeah check the CPS connection. Unplug and plug it back in.

BlueXJ
01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Three possible solutions, each of which can be checked for free with a multimeter, First check all grounds as Muddy stated. Second Finney thinks the CPS which is a distant possibility. Third and IMO the most likely is a mal-adjusted TPS.
Let us know what you find it to be.

Mudderoy
01-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Three possible solutions, each of which can be checked for free with a multimeter, First check all grounds as Muddy stated. Second Finney thinks the CPS which is a distant possibility. Third and IMO the most likely is a mal-adjusted TPS.
Let us know what you find it to be.

I forgot that those are adjustable on the older XJs. :thumbsup: