PDA

View Full Version : Handle on a pillar

Audio222
04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I need a way to put a handle on the passenger side A pillar. My wife is 5ft tall and I want to put a handle that will not pull off. What say you got any ideas.

BlueXJ
04-24-2009, 11:26 PM
She can put a strap from the handle over the top of the passenger door to grab on to. Use one of those ones made for a TJ that attaches to the rollbar.

Mudderoy
04-25-2009, 01:42 AM
I need a way to put a handle on the passenger side A pillar. My wife is 5ft tall and I want to put a handle that will not pull off. What say you got any ideas.

http://www.roughcountry.com/images_large/jeep_1176.jpg

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_grab-handles.html

I'm getting these which will solve the same problem...

http://detoursusa.com/images/xjuni_main.jpg

http://detoursusa.com/xjrokslyders.php

Audio222
04-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I already have the rails she can step on. I can get a handle from a donor XJ, the problem is she can't reach the factory handle (too short) and how do I mount anything on the A pillar and not have it pull off?

Mudderoy
04-25-2009, 11:46 AM
I already have the rails she can step on. I can get a handle from a donor XJ, the problem is she can't reach the factory handle (too short) and how do I mount anything on the A pillar and not have it pull off?

Well velcro would be the funny answer. I wonder if the rough country soft handle could be put around the factory handle.

Audio222
04-25-2009, 11:50 AM
That's a great idea! I could just velcro her to the fender or door. I'll tell her your idea and see what she says. I willl let you know as soon as I get a answer.

Mudderoy
04-25-2009, 11:55 AM
That's a great idea! I could just velcro her to the fender or door. I'll tell her your idea and see what she says. I willl let you know as soon as I get a answer.

Well me at 6' and her at 5' whats the worse that could happen, a black and blue knee cap? :smiley-laughing021:

My wife is 5'2" so I understand, and that's the reason (I'm giving her) for the sliders. I guess 2 inches does make a big difference. She is able to get in the rig by grabbing on to the factory handle.

Of course you could be a gentleman and just help her in before you got it. Be sure and tell her that idea too. :D

2000XJ
04-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't much metal in that area to bolt anything sturdy to. You could go down the route of a full cage, which you could then weld a nice handle to ;)

Audio222
04-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't much metal in that area to bolt anything sturdy to. You could go down the route of a full cage, which you could then weld a nice handle to ;)

Now that's what I call overkill just for a handel.:thumbsup:

ol"blue
04-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Can't you adapt/mount some A-pillar grab handles from a WJ? That's a very strong anchor point, and the handles are very strong, as well as quite handy. My 92 year old mom who's only 5'2" had no trouble reaching them. Just a thought.

Audio222
04-25-2009, 04:45 PM
I will look in to it, thanks.

xjarcher
04-25-2009, 08:55 PM
If you take the Apillar trim off you will see that there is as much metal there as you get on the overhead one. Get a factory handle, use a Rivnut instead of just drilling into it and you'll be good to go.
When you get the rivnut tool I wanna borrow it!:D

Link for you lazy folks Rivnut (http://www.cardinalcomponents.com/fasteners.htm)

Audio222
04-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Rivnuts now that is the best idea yet. We may have a winner.

ETA: Does anyone have a factory handle, maybe a gray one. maybe...uh...maybe?

xjarcher
04-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Of course, I have four. do you want one for the A pillar and one for the B pillar? Maybe do both sides?

Mudderoy
04-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Rivnuts now that is the best idea yet. We may have a winner.

ETA: Does anyone have a factory handle, maybe a gray one. maybe...uh...maybe?

You realize we want pictures (and a write up - hint) on this mod. :D

pLEXX
04-26-2009, 09:31 AM
rofl always!

Howler_GT
04-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Easiest but not necessarily the CHEAPEST route...
Get a taller wife.

:smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
04-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Whats a rivnut?

BlueXJ
04-26-2009, 12:43 PM
It is an insert that is tightened down with a tool like a rivet is but the insert has threads inside it to put a bolt into. They are quite useful in a blind hole that can't be accessed from the other side.

Melissa
04-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks blue that makes sense now.

Audio222
04-26-2009, 01:18 PM
You realize we want pictures (and a write up - hint) on this mod. :D

Gotta get the tool first. I found one for $17.

Audio222
04-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Easiest but not necessarily the CHEAPEST route...
Get a taller wife.

:smiley-laughing021:

The wife vetoed that one but thanks for thinking outside the box. :thumbsup:

BlueXJ
04-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Gotta get the tool first. I found one for $17.

It's not nice to fail to post a link.:mad0090:

Audio222
04-26-2009, 01:35 PM
It's not nice to fail to post a link.:mad0090:

Sorry I will try to do better in the future.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1210

DETOURS
04-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Buy a fork lift.........:popcorn:

Howler_GT
05-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Buy a fork lift.........:popcorn:

WOW!!! :smiley-scared002::smiley-scared002::smiley-scared002:

My woman (Mrs. Howler) has a stock height 91 Laredo.
She is 'short'.
She picks up a co-worker who is about the same hieght but a little heavier.
When I told the Mrs. that hers was "going-up", she told me about how her co-worker can just get in NOW.

What I suggested:

Go to the local Dollar Store.
Buy a Rubbermaid Step (Single step)
Buy some light rope.

Cut 3' length of rope and tie one end to the seat mount. And the other end thru a hole poked thru the one corner of the step.

How it works:
Step sits on pass. floor until co-worker is ready to be picked up.
Co-worker opens pass. door, picks up step and places it on the ground.

Co-worker climb into Cherokee. then reaches down and grabs hold of rope.
Pulls step up and slides it in front of the seat bottom, beneath her legs.
Then she can close the door.

Was a quicky smart-a$$ remark but looking back at it now....it might work.

Audio222
05-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I brought this up at first and it didn't go over to well. She doesn't like being so short. By the way her step is made of Oak.

What I suggested:

Go to the local Dollar Store.
Buy a Rubbermaid Step (Single step)
Buy some light rope.

Cut 3' length of rope and tie one end to the seat mount. And the other end thru a hole poked thru the one corner of the step.

How it works:
Step sits on pass. floor until co-worker is ready to be picked up.
Co-worker opens pass. door, picks up step and places it on the ground.

Co-worker climb into Cherokee. then reaches down and grabs hold of rope.
Pulls step up and slides it in front of the seat bottom, beneath her legs.
Then she can close the door.

Was a quicky smart-a$$ remark but looking back at it now....it might work.

BlueXJ
05-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a step stool (three step ladder) on my Surco so I can reach stuff and secure it. Mostly the stuff is ratchet strapped down but some light stuff is bungeed down. That could serve a double role as an entrance method for ppl shorter than average.

mizedog
05-04-2009, 08:11 AM
This is the folding step I bought for my mo-in-law (4'10") and my wife (5'2" -not really, she lies. She's 5'1" and something...).
I originally bought it for the JK. The JK is gone, the step still lives. By the way, the rope is a great idea!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Mizedog/P1010163-1.jpg

I did add a handle to the A pillar on my old Trooper years ago. I didn't use rivnuts and it held. One trick for mounting thing on sheet metal is to dimple the whole before you add the screw. I used a punch and knocked the whole in a little. That greatly reduces the risk that the screw will pull through. My handle held really well for 10 years. I may have to try this with the XJ.

Logans91XJ
11-02-2009, 01:19 PM
any updates??

Mudderoy
11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
any updates??

No his wife stopped growing years ago. :rotfl2:

alwaysxj
11-02-2009, 02:36 PM
i need to get a step stool for my wife. she cannot get in to my new jeep i have to give her a push. i told her that when i make some sliders i will make it so they have a step on it so she can get it. it is funny watching her git in to the jeep my 4 year old can get in better then her it is funny but my 4 year old is a monkey.