PDA

View Full Version : how to remove rocker arms?

greenchevy
04-24-2009, 02:17 PM
89 jeep wagoneer limited 4.0L how do I remove the rocker arms? DO i have to move the fly wheel? Does the engine have to be Top Dead Center? When reinstalling to i have to move the fly wheel? I'am replacing the cylinder head and am down to this. Or do i just remove them and when re-installing just assemble the way i took it off and torque everything down. Would it all be fine? Not sure because on my 01 chevy malibu 3.1 i had to move the fly wheel untill the spring was depressed then tighten down the rocker then move the fly wheel again and etc etc till they were all on.

BlueXJ
04-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Yes the same kind of method is used when reinstalling a head. I would not worry about dis assembly if you are have the head rebuilt and vale job. The machine shop will do all that. You just need to get everything back together and all the valves adjusted.

Howler_GT
04-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Valves/rockers are NON-adjustable on a stock 4.0L.

Just need to torque the rocker pivots to specs.

BlueXJ
04-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Valves/rockers are NON-adjustable on a stock 4.0L.

Just need to torque the rocker pivots to specs.

When you torque the rockers to spec you in essence adjust them too. As long as you have not changed the cam you should be fine. The valves in a 4.0L are hydralic and thus self adjusting. Is that the correct terminology Howler?

Howler_GT
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Rockers are NON-adjustable but lifters make the valves self-adjusting.

I believe you are correct with the terminology.