PDA

View Full Version : Tuna bad for cats?

muddeprived
04-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Is it? I hear mixed opinions on this. I been feeding my cat tuna every other day for 8 years.

Melissa
04-24-2009, 05:37 AM
I have never heard that tuna was bad for cats :confused:, I've been feeding mine tuna for years as well.

BlueXJ
04-24-2009, 08:21 AM
A steady diet of daily tuna will harm your cat's kidneys. It should be given as a reward and only sparingly. Ask me how I know.

Mudderoy
04-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Is it? I hear mixed opinions on this. I been feeding my cat tuna every other day for 8 years.

8 years?!?!?! I think you answered your own question. :smiley-laughing021:

I had a Tom cat when I was about 20. I called him "TUNA!" He got a can ever so often, certainly not everyday. He loved it, go figure.

BlueXJ
04-24-2009, 10:06 AM

I have never heard that tuna was bad for cats :confused:, I've been feeding mine tuna for years as well.

8 years?!?!?! I think you answered your own question. :smiley-laughing021:

I had a Tom cat when I was about 20. I called him "TUNA!" He got a can ever so often, certainly not everyday. He loved it, go figure.

I have a cat that had a swollen pallet (upper part of the mouth) He would not eat dry food and was pretty picky about the canned food but would devour tuna. So I fed him an exclusive diet of Chicken of the Sea for over a year. He was slowly losing weight. So when it was time for his yearly checkup. I had them to draw some blood for a full chem panel. His creatine was about 3.9-4.2 and normal is under 2.0. This is an indicator of kidney damage. I started to use a food processor and turn the low protein dry cat food into powder and mix a tablespoon of it with skim milk and make a paste and hand fed him for the next year. His kidney function has slowly returned and last checkup was around 2.4 which is still high but closer to normal and some steroids injected into the roof of his mouth have reduced the swelling there and he is on regular canned food again (Fancy Feast Tender Beef)
I worked for a vet for about a year after I retired until the economy had them reducing staff due to a retiring vet and another that moved to Dallas. So I have besides 30+ years of medical experience about a years worth of Vet experience.

Melissa
04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Well that settles it for me, no more Tuna, I'll stick with the canned food.

xjjeepthing
04-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Never given ours tuna