PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

pLEXX
04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Well last week I was coming back from the store, and my keys got stuck in the ignition. It will turn back one, so it will turn off, and it will turn over. It won't come out, nor will it turn back. How to get it out?! Thats my big question.. so for the past week i'v been backing up all the way to my house so jackers can get into it. All the doors lock but the back hatch and window.... so please anyone know how to get them out ?:cop:

BlueXJ
04-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Make sure your shifter is all the way into Park and you may have to hold some pressure on the shifter while jiggling the key but that should get them out. Your shift linkage sounds like it is badly worn.

pLEXX
04-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah, my dad said it wasnt "locking in" or somthing anyone know how much those go for?

BlueXJ
04-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, my dad said it wasnt "locking in" or somthing anyone know how much those go for?

First you have to determine which parts are worn and then you can ask what the price of the repair may be. Did you try to get your key out with the pressure and jiggle method?:confused:

pLEXX
04-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Yeah, tried that.

2000XJ
04-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Could this at all be related to the neutral safety switch?

pLEXX
04-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Whats that? Explain please.

Melissa
04-24-2009, 12:59 AM
NSS is a sensor that only allows your jeep to start while it is in park or neutral.
Someone else will chime in I'm sure with more detail on the NSS

Here is a link that explains it pretty well

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_0805_1987_2001_jeep_cherokee_neutral_safety_sw itch/index.html

BlueXJ
04-24-2009, 05:00 AM
Could this at all be related to the neutral safety switch?

If it was a no start I would agree but it is a key release situation if I am reading his OP correctly. Not a NSS sounding problem. I can see why you jumped there as I was inclined to do until I read his request again. Seems it will start but he is worried someone will steal his ride b/c he can't get the keys out if the ignition switch. Jump in here if I am wrong pLEXX.

muddeprived
04-24-2009, 05:14 AM
You can install a battery shut-off switch for a temporary safety measure. They have em at your parts store. I can't help with the key. Sorry.

pLEXX
04-24-2009, 08:13 AM
BLUEXJ yes it is a key release situation. It will start but when I go to turn it off, it only goes back 1 time. Not even to the stage where you can take/put the key in.

BlueXJ
04-24-2009, 08:25 AM
It is a park related issue and will need to look into it further. I have had this happen on a pickup I once owned but it was under warrenty and the dealer fixed it. But I saw the paperwork and they did something with the transmission shift adjustment. It was years ago and my memory has faded. Sorry pLEXX

BlueXJ
04-24-2009, 11:10 AM
After some research I find that the rod in the column that actully links the key cylinder with the switch which is at the base of the column, also links to a cable that hooks into the shifter. And it sounds like something is out of phase. You have to look to find the adjustment points and see if the 8mm nut on the rod has backed off. It is in the Haynes manual as well as the FSM.

pLEXX
04-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Have any idea where that would be at? I would love to get my key out, been in there for about 2 weeks now.

pLEXX
05-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Well key has been stuck for about 4 weeks now... any one else know what I can do? W/o paying for a lock smith...

DETOURS
05-03-2009, 06:22 PM
You'll need to almost be upside down to see that shaft BlueXJ refered to, it's about at 1 oclock and has a mesh steel cover over it, move the key and look for movement.