PDA

View Full Version : Radiator replacement, now what?

TheWeiss
01-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I just replaced my old radiator with a 3 core all metal radiator. While I was at it I replaced the upper and lower hoses going in to the raidator, the thermostat, thermostat housing, and the hose that goes between the thermostat housing and the heater valve. I'll be posting a write up with some pictures soon. Now that everything is replaced and hooked back up I poured some coolant in to the radiator and ran my Jeep. I ran it until the thermostat opened and ran it through the various heat settings. I know that its very important to insure that all air pockets are removed from the system. I've tried to find a good writeup on how to properly "burp" the system. I think I'm supposed to run the engine until the thermostat opens with the radiator cap off. Can someone confirm this? Are the any other steps I should take? I would love1 a step by step breakdown for post- replacement. Thanks in advance

4.3LXJ
01-02-2010, 08:36 PM
On an open system all you need to do is what you posted. Run it with the radiator cap off and let the water circulate and top it off.

BlueXJ
01-02-2010, 11:03 PM
X2 4.3L is correct.

TheWeiss
01-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the confirmation. I know that messing with the radiator cap when the system is hot is a dangerous area so I wanted to be sure that I understood correctly.