PDA

View Full Version : Chirping Serpentine Belt

Malibu79
12-31-2009, 10:55 PM
I have replaced the serpentine belt at least 5 times, replaced all the pulleys and a line that was spraying coolant back up onto the belt. When it gets wet from the rain or snow it chirps like none other and will usually stop after driving for awhile. this winter that is not the case and i have idea what to do i know if i replace it it will stop for awhile but wont last. any ideas?

Captain Ruggy
01-01-2010, 07:49 PM
What brand is the belt? I noticed when I used cheaper belts they wouldn't last very long before they would glaze and start squeeling. I only use goodyear gatorback belts now and have yet to get one squeeling. I think they are made of a softer rubber.

Malibu79
01-02-2010, 10:22 AM
I dont even remember what brand, I used to buy them threw Napa and then a buddy told me to try a different one from the Farm & Fleet out by us. Neither seemed to make a difference as soon as they got wet it started up again.

BlueXJ
01-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Gates!! Never use a cheap belt.

Captain Ruggy
01-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I have put mine under water with the gator back belt on it and it didn't squeel. I would say to get a better belt. Then keep the cheap one for a trail spare.

XJ Rat
01-04-2010, 06:50 PM
How is the tension of the belt? Sounds like the water is lubricating it just enough to slip. I have found this is generally caused by too little tension.

As has been stated above, one definately gets what they pay for regarding belts.

Malibu79
01-05-2010, 11:58 AM
The tension on the belt is fine, not to lose or to tight. I've replaced the belts on other cars before and this is the first one I have had a problem with. I do remember the brand of the belt and its a Gates.

kryptonitexj
01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
An old trick I learned is this. Get your self a cheap bar of soap with the engine running (WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!!) take the bar of soap and coat the underside of the belt with the soap this should cure the squeak. Let me know if this helps.