PDA

View Full Version : Can I Stop These Start-UP RPM SURGES?

pvt.Tadpol xj
12-30-2009, 05:09 PM
:smiley-whacky097:Hey everybody you know my XJ is really a good running vehicle, and you all know i have put a lot into, and I am working on getting some PICS..... I still have a question, every time I start up the RPM raises pretty high or surges as some would say anybody else out there?....

Mudderoy
12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
:smiley-whacky097:Hey everybody you know my XJ is really a good running vehicle, and you all know i have put a lot into, and I am working on getting some PICS..... I still have a question, every time I start up the RPM raises pretty high or surges as some would say anybody else out there?....

After about 120k miles I noticed that after I got to work and put the transmission in park the RPMs would be up around 1500. I would tap the skinny petle a couple of times and sometimes it would drop back to where it was supposed to. I turned off the ignition, started it back up and sometimes this would clear it.

Eventually I looked it up on the Internet and say that the Throttle Position Sensor could cause this issue. I replaced it and the problem has not returned.

DETOURS
12-30-2009, 08:10 PM
What year?

cheap jeep
12-30-2009, 08:57 PM
I had a Dodge 600 that would race some times and if you shut it off,then restarted it,it would idle. It ended up being the idle air control motor.(IAC) That was on a 2.2 tbi engine.

Mudderoy
12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
What year?

His is a 1991.

96xj
12-31-2009, 06:37 AM
X2 on the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor )

Silly Willy
12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
X2 on the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor )

Had the same problem not too long ago TPS fixed it and has yet to return

X3 on the TPS

xj4life2
12-31-2009, 03:18 PM
I will add this... on mine I have tested the TPS and it tests good but still have the surge. Changed it anyway and its all gone. So I would recomend the TPS also

BlueXJ
01-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Clean the entire intake including the TPS and check all vacuum ports for being coked up. TPS may need replacement if the cleaning doesn't help, but that money may not need to be spent. Don't forget the IAC when cleaning. Careful with the pintle part of it and don't tweek it.

pvt.Tadpol xj
02-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Well it took a while to figure this out and thanks to everybody. What i found is someone who had worked on my XJ at some time forced all of the three little plug-ins on my CPS plug to close up tighter. So i used a small plastic tool to reshape them back to proper size.. And when i started it up my TPS and AIR-drive startsd working much better.:smiley-gen165: