PDA

View Full Version : Spring Creek Off Road

Mudderoy
12-26-2009, 06:31 PM
There's a small group of 5, or so, Houston area NAXJA members and guests going out to Spring Creek Off Road tomorrow.

My plans are to take some pictures, but first time I've been off road in a long time so my primary focus is going to be enjoying myself. :D

I think the only member on xjtalk that is in the Houston area is already going, but if someone else would like to come out, we are planning on going into the park at 11am.

Sorry for the short notice.

BlueXJ
12-26-2009, 10:08 PM
No pics then it didn't happen. J/K LOL

Mudderoy
12-27-2009, 06:48 PM
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek2.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek3.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek6.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek7.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek8.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek9.jpg

Mudderoy
12-27-2009, 06:50 PM
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek10.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek11.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek12.jpg

xxmidianxx
12-27-2009, 07:02 PM
See it happened.

Thats mine with the light bar on it. I think my vacuum disco went out so most of the day I was in 2WD. Not very much fun.

Mudderoy
12-27-2009, 08:33 PM
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek13.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek14.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek15.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek16.jpg

TeXJ
12-27-2009, 09:49 PM
nice pics! :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
12-27-2009, 10:07 PM
What i want to know is, did Mudderoy live up to his name?

TeXJ
12-27-2009, 10:43 PM
from how clean his rig is, id say no lol

Mudderoy
12-27-2009, 11:52 PM
It wasn't really that muddy out there, and the one mud hole we found two XJs got stuck and I pulled them both out. I wasn't about to drive into that hole. lol

GT MOTORSPORTS
12-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Nice pics!!

rguignard
12-30-2009, 09:20 AM
What i want to know is, did Mudderoy live up to his name?

he never backed down from any of the trails or mudholes that we went in:driving: so does anyone want to go get there xj's dirty on thursday :D

Mudderoy
12-30-2009, 02:21 PM
he never backed down from any of the trails or mudholes that we went in:driving: so does anyone want to go get there xj's dirty on thursday :D

lol thanks, but there was that one you went up in your STOCK XJ with a locker that I wouldn't go.

You know I'd like to go out there Thursday, Sunday was such fun, but I was sicker than a dog Monday and Tuesday. I'm just now getting back to normal.

rguignard
12-30-2009, 03:07 PM
lol thanks, but there was that one you went up in your STOCK XJ with a locker that I wouldn't go.

You know I'd like to go out there Thursday, Sunday was such fun, but I was sicker than a dog Monday and Tuesday. I'm just now getting back to normal.

if my xj looked as good as yours i wouldn't have tryed it eather! did you get sick from sunday or something else? btw my locker is not happy with me anymore :sad0147: love this website you did good

Mudderoy
12-30-2009, 05:01 PM
if my xj looked as good as yours i wouldn't have tryed it eather! did you get sick from sunday or something else? btw my locker is not happy with me anymore :sad0147: love this website you did good

Well I think it was Sunday evening I started feeling bad, and later that night I could tell I was going to be in bed all day Monday. I was a little sick from the Friday prior, but felt I was over it. I've never had allergies (except to hard work) but the doctor told me you can get them as you get older. I'm thinking that I may have just sucked up to much outdoors. I probably should have kept the windows up on the Jeep, but seeing, hearing and smelling is a big part of the experience!

I couldn't believe how loud that locker was. Getting out there was a good learning experience.

Thanks for the compliments on the site. We started it back in March, and I'm really happy with all the people that visit and joined. It's fun. We've hit a flat spot in posts and how to articles. I'm hoping that after the holidays more people will be contributing again. Makes it more fun for everyone that way.

rguignard
12-30-2009, 07:35 PM
ive told some friends about it and im doing some work on my jeep so if i can remember ill try to get some pics. im pulling my dif cover tomorrow to ck the locker out i hope it not bad in there.

xxmidianxx
12-31-2009, 10:57 AM
I will be doing a few write ups here shortly, like my 8.8 build and Clayton Long Arm install. I will be sure to add them to this site as well.

I agree as well, you have done a great job with this site.

Mudderoy
12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
I will be doing a few write ups here shortly, like my 8.8 build and Clayton Long Arm install. I will be sure to add them to this site as well.

I agree as well, you have done a great job with this site.

Thanks guys, great to hear.

xj4life2
12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Nice pics looks like a fun day Two questions :
1. how do you get away with the light bar ? Ive always wanted to do that to mine but here in Ca thats a no no
2. the Cypress off road sticker , is there a Cypress in TX ? I used to live in Cypress Ca.

Mudderoy
12-31-2009, 05:05 PM
1. how do you get away with the light bar ? Ive always wanted to do that to mine but here in Ca thats a no no
2. the Cypress off road sticker , is there a Cypress in TX ? I used to live in Cypress Ca.

You guys need to rise up and recover that state from the abnormals. :patriot:

xxmidianxx
12-31-2009, 05:40 PM

1. I am an EMT in the state of Texas... we can do those things. You should hear the sieren I have on there.

2. Yes there is a Cypress, TX. It's NW of Houston.

Mudderoy
12-31-2009, 06:27 PM
1. I am an EMT in the state of Texas... we can do those things. You should hear the sieren I have on there.

2. Yes there is a Cypress, TX. It's NW of Houston.

I thought that anyone (in Texas) can have the lights, you just can't turn them on.

4.3LXJ
12-31-2009, 08:59 PM
You guys need to rise up and recover that state from the abnormals. :patriot:

We try, but they keep hatching.

It is not uncommon to see names repeated. When I lived in OR I could visit Salem, Portland, Albany, Newport, Detroit and a few other recognizable cities and never leave he state.

xxmidianxx
12-31-2009, 10:25 PM
I thought that anyone (in Texas) can have the lights, you just can't turn them on.

I guess... as long as you don't get stopped. I was told that you just can't have a light bar (red/red, red/blue) unless you are an Emergency Personal. Plus you have to have some other means of identification... like an EMS Cert, and/or other types of marking on your vehicle, i.e. my EMS plates.

rguignard
12-31-2009, 10:42 PM

oops didnt see his post

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I thought I'd post up my impressions of Spring Creek Off Road park.

First and foremost any trip the people that you are with can make or break your pleasant experience. I was really happy that my oldest son was able to go with me. I have two boys from a prior marriage. Their mom and I split up when they were very young and even though I've been in their lives it wasn't in the manner I wanted to be. So when I get a chance to do something with them it helps heal some of those old wounds.

I met up with two NAXJA members, and later Kryptonite joined us at the park. Krypto is a member here and NAXJA.

I've met Krypton before, and of course know him from xjtalk. I was pleasantly surprised that the two guys from NAXJA were very friendly, and made me feel welcome imminently. I'm a big boy and I can get by without people accepting me, but I think anyone would be lying if they said it didn't matter.

The two NAXJA guy were concerned about where we should drive because they didn't want me to scratch my Jeep! lol I like that, I agreed with them.

BTW, both the NAXJA guys are now members here on xjtalk as well.

This is the first, and only off road park that I have been to. I know I lead a sheltered life.

First I drove through a business section of Spring. It reminded me very much of small Texas towns with old style small buildings. Things my wife loves, and much closer to home than the places we've been. Needless to say I'll need to take the wife there and let her poke around in the shops. I'll try to get more and better pictures of Spring and the off road park in the future.

I can tell you this. My wife won't be going to the off road park, not unless we stay in the parking lot. I once went up a mild incline and she freaked. She still talks about it. lol

Once at the "gate" of the park, I was given a clipboard and asked to fill in my name, and list an emergency number. I did so and then paid to access the park. It's $10 a head.

I drove in a couple of hundred feet and parked next to the two other XJs in our party. I call this the parking lot. It's a large area and an open area. No lines for parking (lol).

Just to the left of this area is a large mound of dirt that Krypton immediately drove up! A little further to the left is a series of ups and down hills, small, that I was at first quite concerned about my XJ navigating. xxmidianxx and Krypton went down, up and over the hills and I followed. I was told by rguignard that this was the "play" area. It was great that rguignard was telling me this stuff, but then again it made me nervous about what to expect in the rest of the park! lol

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 10:36 AM
You know how some guys just do? They don't ask, they just go and if you want to follow fine, if not screw ya!?!? That wasn't the case with our group. Everyone knew it was my first time at the park and everybody took the time to play, stop, discuss what we wanted to do next and they explained to me what to expect. I didn't ask they just told me, this was great!

We took off to the "best I can describe" the right side of the park. There was water, there was mud. The mud wasn't that deep, and it really wasn't that wet. I guess the mud was 6 inches deep, maybe deeper, but the ground was very firm under the mud. I did manage to get in a rut with the rear tire and the front tires weren't. Made for an interesting some what sideways ride down a trail. I just gave up and turned into the rut.

After a short run everyone stopped (Now missing Kryptonite) and we discussed the trail we could go down, and then off we went.

It was great. The trail was just about Jeep size, and with all the brush (to the sides and from above in some cases) it was like driving down a tunnel.

I was torn between enjoying the experience and taking pictures. I decided to enjoy the experience!

After a few minutes on that trail we emerged. We all pulled up, got out and someone said "Where's Kryptonite?" We agreed that we better go find him.

Back on a semi muddy trail, we found him...
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/springcreek17.jpg

Apparently he was tired and decided to take a rest. :rotfl2:

TeXJ
01-01-2010, 11:04 PM
sounds like ya had fun! now, do you like going to parks? One day we'll get you to BMRA. Even thought they are acting like douche's to our Club here.

Mudderoy
01-01-2010, 11:29 PM
sounds like ya had fun! now, do you like going to parks? One day we'll get you to BMRA. Even thought they are acting like douche's to our Club here.

I've always loved getting out and doing semi-daring things. Problem with getting older and having more responcibilities is having to be worried about getting the daily driver back and forth to work. I was very happy when I got back on the highway home and she performed just like she did prior to going to the park. I think that's half the battle just knowing your rig can take it. I didn't have a huge doubt but you know that's when Murphy usually kicks in.

4.3LXJ
01-02-2010, 01:15 AM
I've always loved getting out and doing semi-daring things. Problem with getting older and having more responcibilities is having to be worried about getting the daily driver back and forth to work. I was very happy when I got back on the highway home and she performed just like she did prior to going to the park. I think that's half the battle just knowing your rig can take it. I didn't have a huge doubt but you know that's when Murphy usually kicks in.

I have always subscribed to the idea that you "bring em back alive" I don't like getting dents and breaking things either. I also don't like being around wheelers who think they have something to prove, then break it. Then guess who has to help them fix it or tow them out.

Mudderoy
01-02-2010, 04:11 AM
I have always subscribed to the idea that you "bring em back alive" I don't like getting dents and breaking things either. I also don't like being around wheelers who think they have something to prove, then break it. Then guess who has to help them fix it or tow them out.

Oh I agree, anything can be fixed. I just want to have it all, my fun, and a working vehicle.

rguignard
01-02-2010, 08:07 AM
we should plan a trip up to general sams offroad park in huntsvill tx ive beed there a few times on 4 wheelers but not in my xj its a big park at least compared to spring creek :driving:

TeXJ
01-02-2010, 09:18 AM
i too have to daily drive the rig. You just have to know when to say no and go around or take a strap. Some will poke fun at uh but then when it is there turn you can turn up the peer pressure, haha

Mudderoy
01-02-2010, 10:01 AM
we should plan a trip up to general sams offroad park in huntsvill tx ive beed there a few times on 4 wheelers but not in my xj its a big park at least compared to spring creek :driving:

Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can find something about them online.

rguignard
01-02-2010, 10:26 AM
im good most sat and sun but sundays are better for me unless we have a couple of weeks notice that way my gf can come too

xxmidianxx
01-02-2010, 09:33 PM

You would be surprized what an XJ can take and come out just fine.

If you like the Creek... BMRA is 1,000 times better. I have been there 5 or 6 times. Drove my XJ there, wheeled and drove it home. Most of those time I had my family with me. Their trails range from dirt roads, Level 1's, (alot like the Creek has) to WTF was that guy thinking, Level 5's. It is a great place and fun to wheel any time of year but the summer is too hot. lol

Try and make it out to the Rides of March. We will have guided trail rides for almost every level. If you want to keep it easy then go with a level 1 to 2 (maybe some 3's) but any of the harder areas just about all have by pass trails.

prcjeep
01-10-2010, 01:11 AM
So this is my first post on a jeep forum... I read threw this thread and I'm thinking about heading out to Spring Creek tomorrow! I got my jeep about 3 months ago and have been doing just some regular work on it. It was overheating so i replaced the water pump and hoses and flushed the system and now o problems. The first thing i did was put BFG 30 950's on it(up from the stock tires). So I've been looking around the area for a place to go offroad. Only place i have gone so far is in a couple mostly empty retention ponds in the cypress area. I've been gog by myself so I have been careful in what I did so i wouldnt get stuck when no one knew where i was. So far I love it. Before my Cherokee I had a 2x4 Exploder. Drunk driver hit me and i got paid out(around 3 times more than I would have got if I sold it myself!) Anyways... I've been looking around at all the jeep forums(never knew how may many there were!) and I think this is one that I will call home especially since I noticed many of ya'll are local. If I go tomorrow I will make sure to take pics!:camera:
PRC:patriot:

Mudderoy
01-10-2010, 01:20 AM
So this is my first post on a jeep forum... I read threw this thread and I'm thinking about heading out to Spring Creek tomorrow! I got my jeep about 3 months ago and have been doing just some regular work on it. It was overheating so i replaced the water pump and hoses and flushed the system and now o problems. The first thing i did was put BFG 30 950's on it(up from the stock tires). So I've been looking around the area for a place to go offroad. Only place i have gone so far is in a couple mostly empty retention ponds in the cypress area. I've been gog by myself so I have been careful in what I did so i wouldnt get stuck when no one knew where i was. So far I love it. Before my Cherokee I had a 2x4 Exploder. Drunk driver hit me and i got paid out(around 3 times more than I would have got if I sold it myself!) Anyways... I've been looking around at all the jeep forums(never knew how may many there were!) and I think this is one that I will call home especially since I noticed many of ya'll are local. If I go tomorrow I will make sure to take pics!:camera:
PRC:patriot:

Hey that's great. First off I'm glad to hear you are ok after that wreck. It's sad to lose a vehicle that way, but at least you were able to get out of it better than you were.

I really enjoyed my time at Spring Creek and I plan on going out there again, however I would recommend that you travel with someone, or at least try to hook up with someone out at Spring Creek.

Nothing we went through was that difficult but a couple of the members in our group did attempt a big mud hole and had to get winched out. I'm sure they would have gone around if they had been by their selves, but it's still a good rule of thumb to have someone with you in another vehicle. At the very least they can help you if you roll over.

We certainly are happy to hear you want to make xjtalk your home, however I would recommend having a look at naxja.org. They are a much bigger site that we are. Two of the recent local xjtalk members are from naxja.org. I'm sure as time goes on we'll grow too. Especially with members like yourself joining and sharing your thoughts and pictures.

:thumbsup:

prcjeep
01-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Thanks!
It really wasn't tooo bad of a wreck but too many body panels got damaged. The other driver I didn't think was drunk but cops showed that he blew .09 which is all it takes for them to charge for DWI.(I felt bad that they slapped that on him)
As far as going with someone else,(in another vehicle) I'm working on that but probably wont hear from anyone til the morn.

rguignard
01-10-2010, 08:32 AM
if you do go by yourself theres allways people out there to run with look for anybody alone on 2nd beach. im allways willing to go but this is one weekend i cant . hay mudd have you checked out General Sam's yet we should try to plan a trip :thumbsup:

prcjeep
01-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Well I went! I wasn't there for more than about 10 minutes and a guy on a 4 wheeler found me and asked me to come help pull someone out. The guy was stuck in the creek at second beach. So i pulled him out and that was that. I met some guys in wranglers and followed them around for the rest of my time and had a lot of fun. I was glad they knew their way around because I sure didn't. I took a couple of pictures so now to figure out how to get those up on here.

prcjeep
01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Here they are

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/prcrawfo/Jeepin001.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/prcrawfo/Jeepin003.jpg

This lil tree and i had a disagreement about where it was so I removed some of its bark with my bumper. No damage to me.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/prcrawfo/Jeepin004.jpg

The tree is the one just to the right of center.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/prcrawfo/Jeepin002.jpg

Mudderoy
01-10-2010, 08:13 PM
lol that's great. Thanks for the pictures! :camera:

Mudderoy
01-12-2010, 08:35 AM
if you do go by yourself theres allways people out there to run with look for anybody alone on 2nd beach. im allways willing to go but this is one weekend i cant . hay mudd have you checked out General Sam's yet we should try to plan a trip :thumbsup:

I know you guys are sick of hearing this but I am sooooo poor. Tax month this month. I won't be doing much anytime soon. :smiley-scared002:

4.3LXJ
01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I know you guys are sick of hearing this but I am sooooo poor. Tax month this month. I won't be doing much anytime soon. :smiley-scared002:

I hear ya. I am done for awhile too.

TeXJ
01-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I WANNA WHEEL!!! it's worse than a crack addiction! lol

Mudderoy
01-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I WANNA WHEEL!!! it's worse than a crack addiction! lol

Aren't you close to Gilmer? Did you see the post about the meet there?

TeXJ
01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Aren't you close to Gilmer? Did you see the post about the meet there?

i just found it :D

rguignard
01-13-2010, 08:46 AM
sorry im making a new post

Mudderoy
01-19-2010, 07:33 AM
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/mudpull.gif

Mudderoy
01-19-2010, 08:02 AM
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/xjtalk/climbkkrypto.gif

4.3LXJ
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
What is that gizmo on the top of that XJ?

Mudderoy
01-21-2010, 11:27 AM
What is that gizmo on the top of that XJ?

What do you mean, the emergency lights?

4.3LXJ
01-21-2010, 12:57 PM
That must be it. Just curious. The next question is what are those lights doing on a mudder?

Mudderoy
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
That must be it. Just curious. The next question is what are those lights doing on a mudder?

He is a EMT

4.3LXJ
01-21-2010, 04:30 PM
He is a EMT

Oh. Not used to that. Here EMTs respond to their agency and go in an agency vehicle.

Mudderoy
01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Oh. Not used to that. Here EMTs respond to their agency and go in an agency vehicle.

Well, ya know, they do that here too. I wonder if he is a volunteer. I don't remember now.

4.3LXJ
01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Volunteer, that explains it.