PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt squeals excessively

thumperxj
12-21-2009, 05:07 PM
I have replaced my water pump and serpentine belt over the summer. That remedied a bad bearing noise in the water pump and a minor chirping serpentine belt. I never re-tightened the belt after 500 miles as I should have. Over the last 2 months the squeak had gotten progressively worse and I attributed it to it loosening up or "stretching". Now, however, I tightened it up and the squeaking is even worse!. Is it possible that a belt can only last for 6 months? Should I try something else to get rid of the squeak? I replaced the radiator last week and after washing the front end down to rinse a little antifreeze spilled, the squeaking got noticeably worse. I figured it would go away once the belt dried. It has not. I imagine replacing the belt again is the least expensive measure but anybody run into this.

My mechanic friend said he will check it out next week if I need him but I don't want to keep running to him for every little thing, he has already done a million freebies for me as it is.

Mudderoy
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
I had the same problem with mine. What I found on mine was the belt was too loose. I was taught how to tighten up a belt many years ago with my thumb pressing on the belt to see how much "spring" there was. When I did that with my Jeep belt it squeaked. Tighting it more got it to only squeak when I turn on the AC.

A couple of years later I bought a belt tighting gauge from Oreily's. It was $14 and I had to order it.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/JeepBeltTool.jpg

jfxj67
12-22-2009, 06:54 AM
You might just have some belt "glazing" going-on. In the past, i've used a wire brush to "scuff" up the belt to remove the shine a bit. To do this; Start your Jeep and let it idle, CAREFULLY apply a wire brush to the 'grooved' side of the belt, paying attention to the edges of the belt as well. By All Means, Watch your Fingers And Eyes While Doing This!!! This is only a quick fix, replacement of the belt is the only way to STOP the squeal for good. I've had the best luck on my XJ with the Goodyear GatorBack! I have my 'spare' Gates belt on now and so far, so good...:crazy:

Sometimes, it takes several days and many attempts to get my belt tension perfect. A Belt Tension Gauge might help with this?

TheWeiss
12-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm looking at that tool and struggling to picture how it works. Can you explain?

Thumper,
Have you checked for leaks? With the replacements you did in the summer you might have a really subtle and slow leak that drips (or squirts) just enough to keep the squeak alive. I once had the smallest of holes in my upper radiator hose and you couldn't even see the stream of coolant even if you knew where to look. You had to put your hand in front of it to feel the tiny spray of coolant.

thumperxj
12-22-2009, 02:41 PM
The belt was definitely "glazed". I tried the wire brush trick but I think the belt was too far gone. After noticing a gummy residue on the pulleys that was identical to the gummy crap on the belt, I used brake cleaner sprayed on a rag to clean the pulleys off. I may still have an alignment problem that is prematurely ruining the belt. Prior to pulling off the belt, I sprayed a little water on the belt as the engine idled and the squeaking went away. That pretty much proved it wasn't a bearing or something like that. I put on the new belt and it runs quiet as a mouse. It is very strange that I only got 6 months out of a new Gates belt. I ordered a Gatorback that should be here in a couple days. If anyone has run into this problem before let me know. One thing I can say is I did not clean the pulleys originally in June when I replaced the belt. Maybe that "gummy" stuff ruined the belt. Anyhow, thanks guys for the feedback!!

Mudderoy
12-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm looking at that tool and struggling to picture how it works. Can you explain?

Thumper,
Have you checked for leaks? With the replacements you did in the summer you might have a really subtle and slow leak that drips (or squirts) just enough to keep the squeak alive. I once had the smallest of holes in my upper radiator hose and you couldn't even see the stream of coolant even if you knew where to look. You had to put your hand in front of it to feel the tiny spray of coolant.

lol, I had the same problem. It is basically a graduated thumb! You place it on the belt then push down on it until it clicks and then you read the tool to see how tight the belt is. I'll take a picture and put it up soon.

thumperxj
12-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Two days after I replaced my belt, the squeak came back!! You were so right on the money! It turns out it was a tiny leak from the lower hose clamp, I could not even tell except the underside of the hose was wet. I could not believe it. All is good now and the belt stopped squeaking about 15 minutes of it being repaired. Thanks for the info. I got a spare belt now just in case and am pretty quick at replacing it now that I'm done it 3 times in two weeks!!

Rockeater
07-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I have had a squealing serpentine belt issue twice and both times I have easily resolved the issue. After having accepted for a few months that I will live with a squealing belt for the rest of my life, one fine day with the engine hot I decided to give my Jeep Cherokee ZJ a good gallop on a long deserted road. Shortly after pulling into my driveway I noticed the belt was as silent as a sleeping kitten. Now did the hot belt spinning at high RPM allow the belt to realign itself and stop the squealing? I do not know for certain; but what I am certain of is that in that short few minute burn, my belt fell silent.

4.3LXJ
07-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Have you tried tightening it yet?

Mudderoy
07-22-2013, 09:41 AM
I have had a squealing serpentine belt issue twice and both times I have easily resolved the issue. After having accepted for a few months that I will live with a squealing belt for the rest of my life, one fine day with the engine hot I decided to give my Jeep Cherokee ZJ a good gallop on a long deserted road. Shortly after pulling into my driveway I noticed the belt was as silent as a sleeping kitten. Now did the hot belt spinning at high RPM allow the belt to realign itself and stop the squealing? I do not know for certain; but what I am certain of is that in that short few minute burn, my belt fell silent.

I think it gets really hot then sticky. I used to do the same thing with mine on my XJ until I got the tool that tells me when the belt is tight enough. Now it doesn't squeal, and the water pump doesn't fail because the belt is too tight.

BlueXJ
07-22-2013, 11:49 AM
I have a tightening gauge too but I alway give the tensioner bolt an extra half turn.