PDA

View Full Version : Nearly Free XJ

kaptinkaveman
12-18-2009, 06:51 PM
I recently received a nearly free XJ. It molested a cow @ slow speed and needs some eye shadow but I am looking for AW4 transmission answers. According to the previous owner it quit shifting. He install 1 used trans, then 1 rebuilt, then a new computer under and then it started shifting again. After a wile the shifting stopped and another puter was installed. Now the shifting has stopped and it is mine. I discovered that it will shift manually. Before i dive in head first are there any suggestions on a starting point. As it sits there is a freshly rebuilt trans and at least 1 new computer. The owner didn't know witch computer was replaced the one under the dash or the one under the back seat. I have done nothing yet and breathlessly await your input.

kaptinkaveman
12-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Sorry forgot to include specs. 1990 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, aw4, 242, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear with sun roof and wrinkled.
THX

PS Merry Christmas

cheap jeep
12-18-2009, 09:37 PM
On my xj,it wouldn't upshift,I replaced the throttle position sensor and that fixed it.Mine is a 92.

kryptonitexj
12-21-2009, 08:49 AM
The TPS has alot to do with the Trans Shifting. their cheap from a parts store.

kaptinkaveman
12-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Put a new radiator in yesterday will do so with a TPS I have on hand and see. Last night it would not down shift to take off from a stand still on it's own, if shifted manually it seamed to do fine. If all things work out I'll have a gray one wit no interior or drive train to use for rehab. I would like to find another Cherokee Wagoneer Limited to get the dual headlight set up out of. Thanks for you input.