PDA

View Full Version : How do you rip out a 89 xj dash?

Rednecktimbo
12-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey all as i have said i have 2 89xj's(1 laredo 2wd/1 4x4 xj) and i am trying to move the laredo insides into my 4x4 to make it nice and spiffy inside. I have succeeded in most of it, only lacking the dash. So i need to know if anyone has ever changed/removed their dash completely from the frame and how to do it.

Ty very much

4.3LXJ
12-17-2009, 11:14 PM
I have done it. a real PITA. One thing you need to consider is that the vin number is on a tag on the dash just under the windshield. It will need to match your registration or John Law is going to be very unhappy with you. You will have to remove the steering column completely, seats, instrument cluster and console too. Then just take out every screw and bolt you can find.

BlueXJ
12-17-2009, 11:39 PM
That is what I have done as well. There are many screws to be removed. Remember to be gentle as 20 year old plastic is brittle and if you tug too hard it will break.

AJ99
12-18-2009, 12:33 AM
That is what I have done as well. There are many screws to be removed. Remember to be gentle as 20 year old plastic is brittle and if you tug too hard it will break.

I tend to have to rip out my dash once a month LMAO. For some reason but then again I am contently doing somthing to it. There are two bolts under the dash on each side. Also drop the steering wheel makes it a little easier. Then there are screws in the defrost vent. Take all those out. Then pull from the top and bring it down l / like that and you should have enough area to take the wiring loom off and disconnect everything.

AJ99
12-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Hey man where are you located at?