PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rear carrier bearings, need help

thumperxj
12-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I have a 95 Cherokee Sport 4.0 XJ with lots of miles, around 230,000. I'm a newbie with this Jeep but I love it and want to keep it. It's a 5-speed and the engine runs great. My friend is a mechanic and has a shop. I can sometimes use his lift for a day or so for free. The only catch is if he's got a lot of work, I have to move the Jeep out of the way ASAP. I don't like to do big jobs at his shop in fear I may take too long. I can always pay him to do work but since I'm not working at the moment, every nickel helps.

My mechanic told me that due to play in the right rear axle (passenger side)that the right rear inner axle bearing needs to be replaced (he clarified not the outer wheel bearings). I think they are pressed into the rear diff? The thought of removing the rear differential is a little daunting. My rear drums are also in dire need of replacement (I am plenty capable of doing that myself).

My concern is getting in over my head with the bearings. I think they need to be pressed in. How difficult is dropping out the rear diff in comparison to replacing a subframe, timing belt or steering rack (jobs which I have done on a BMW)? Do I have to keep the axles attached to the pumpkin or will I be axle to slide them out without dropping them to the ground? If I need to roll the Jeep out of the bay, can it be done with the differential out? Are there any other things I should replace while "I'm in there"? What other things need I be aware when undertaking this job? Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to any questions you guys may have for me.

Mudderoy
12-17-2009, 12:06 PM
I have a 95 Cherokee XJ with lots of miles. I'm a newbie with this Jeep but I love it and want to keep it. It's a 5-speed and the engine runs great. My friend is a mechanic and has a shop. I can sometimes use his lift for a day or so for free. The only catch is if he's got a lot of work, I have to move the Jeep out of the way ASAP. I don't like to do big jobs at his shop in fear I may take too long. I can always pay him to do work but since I'm not working at the moment, every nickel helps.

My mechanic told me that due to play in the rear axles that the rear inner axle bearings need to be replaced (he clarified not the outer wheel bearings). I think they are pressed into the rear diff? The thought of removing the rear differential is a little daunting. My rear drums are also in dire need of replacement (I am plenty capable of doing that myself).

My concern is getting in over my head with the bearings. I think they need to be pressed in. How difficult is dropping out the rear diff in comparison to replacing a subframe, timing belt or steering rack (jobs which I have done on a BMW)? Do I have to keep the axles attached to the pumpkin or will I be axle to slide them out without dropping them to the ground? If I need to roll the Jeep out of the bay, can it be done with the differential out? Are there any other things I should replace while "I'm in there"? What other things need I be aware when undertaking this job? Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to any questions you guys may have for me.

What axle? You might want to update your information. I looked there first and all I saw was year of XJ and mileage (1 mile). :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Ok it looks like this is how you replace the OUTER bearings.

YouTube- Jeep Cherokee rear wheel bearing replacement part 1

YouTube- Rear Wheel Bearing Repair on Jeep Cherokee Part 2

YouTube- Jeep Cherokee Rear Wheel Bearing replacement Part 4

YouTube- Jeep Cherokee Rear Wheel bearing replacement part 5

YouTube- Jeep Cherokee rear wheel bearing replacement part 6

YouTube- Jeep Cherokee rear wheel bearing replacement part 7

Mudderoy
12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Damn I forgot about this one...

:link: (http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244408402)

I'm assuming you have a Chrysler 8.25 rear end.

thumperxj
12-17-2009, 01:14 PM
You rock! Thanks, that's more help than I ever expected!! I will let you know how I progress as well as take to pictures of my work before/after style.

Mudderoy
12-17-2009, 01:20 PM
You rock! Thanks, that's more help than I ever expected!! I will let you know how I progress as well as take to pictures of my work before/after style.

It's been a while since I had my 4.56 gears installed. I watched the whole thing, and helped in some parts. Anyway I'm pretty sure the bearings you are talking about have to be pressed on the carrier, and that means you have to re-install the carier. There is a special tool you need to adjust the "preload" I think that is what it is called. That second link describes the tool.

We did the rear first and it took about ahhhh 4 or 5 hours. It shouldn't be as long since you are not replacing the ring and pinion.

thumperxj
12-21-2009, 01:32 PM
The axle bearings went fairly smoothly, I had no issues getting the the axles out, however, the left axle shaft was scored a lot. The inside of the axle housing was scored as well and the bearings seemed "loose" compared to the other side. The left side bearings fell apart when pulled out and were worn far beyond the other side. We are going to re-assemble it and see how it sounds on the test drive.

As far as the rear brakes went, the nuts on the brake lines were seized and many attempts to free them were to no avail. My mechanic is going to run new rear brake lines. This will be done today and I will upload some before/after pictures later on tonight. I will keep you guys posted on the progress.