PDA

View Full Version : NP242 issue?

Mudderoy
12-17-2009, 09:05 AM
I mentioned a while back that I thought my AW4 was slipping. I was taking a 90 degree turn at about 20 mph and I seemed to lose traction until I was straight after the turn and it took off.

I was thinking the fluid level might be low and taking the turn caused me to lose pressure in the AW4 and let it slip. I found out later that this only happens in Full Time 4x4.

Now it could still be the wheels spining. I mean I'm not locked so the two tires with traction may be slipping under those extreme circumstances.

After thinking about the issue for a while I was wondering. Can the NP242 slip, internally? I mean without the chain jumping over the teeth of the gears? Could low fluid level in the NP242 be the culprit of the slipping?

Yes I need to check the fluid levels, but I thought this would be a good question for the board, and might help someone else out having the same problem.

BlueXJ
12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
It has a differential built into it. It gives the power to the output shaft with the most traction, just like a regular differential does. The slipping from that point is up to the front/rear differential. So you could slip a wheel and still be in fulltime unless you have lockers both front and rear. That is not advised with a 242 unless it is a trail only rig.

Mudderoy
12-17-2009, 09:37 AM
It has a differential built into it. It gives the power to the output shaft with the most traction, just like a regular differential does. The slipping from that point is up to the front/rear differential. So you could slip a wheel and still be in fulltime unless you have lockers both front and rear. That is not advised with a 242 unless it is a trail only rig.

So would fluid level in the transfer case make any difference, I mean other than things burning up if you didn't have enough fluid.

Let me make sure my thinking is correct here. If I use a selectable locker in the front axle then it should be fine when used with the NP242. I mean I wouldn't want to drive around the streets with the front locked up, but off road it should work as intended.

BlueXJ
12-17-2009, 09:46 AM
So would fluid level in the transfer case make any difference, I mean other than things burning up if you didn't have enough fluid.

Let me make sure my thinking is correct here. If I use a selectable locker in the front axle then it should be fine when used with the NP242. I mean I wouldn't want to drive around the streets with the front locked up, but off road it should work as intended.

The AW4 will not slip unless the fluid is low or the TPS is bad. I have 2 AW4s that have a total of 260,000 on one and over 300,000 on the other and one came from a Colorado taxi and they neither one slip. Both required a couple of TPS changes over their lifetimes though. Both got regular fluid changes at 50,000 mile intervals.

As to the front D30 and a locker that is the recommended way to go.
I don't yet have a locker in my D30 but plan on a selectable since both of my Jeeps are DDers.