PDA

View Full Version : Project Overkill XJ

Retired Firefighter
11-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Here are my thoughts and ideas for my build. I would like to build this jeep into a rig that’s fairly reliable, useful and fun. I want to use it for a daily driver, to pull a small trailer (snowmobile, ATV, boat and stuff) and to go hunting and/or fishing.

I don't like to waste time or money and I like to do things right the first time (although, I find that doesn't always happen in real life). Now the money thing. Being retired, I guess you could say I have a fixed income. That's why I don't like wasting it and that's why I like to reuse things where I can. Also I have to hire a lot of things done that I would've been able to do myself because of my disability. I can still do some stuff, just not heavy stuff.

First thing is to make it so I can reuse the tires (265/75/16) from my K2500 Chev pickup that is now a parts doner for my other truck (K3500 dually) and motorhome, that have the same diesel engines. To do this I would like a 3-4 inch lift. I already bought new wheels to fit with a 4.5 BS. I had them mounted and balanced this week.

I also noticed some noise coming from the rear axel, so I'm replacing it the a Ford 8.8. My thoughts on that were that it would give me disc brakes all around, have lots of options and be heavy duty.

As far as the lift goes. I haven't decided yet on what brand of kit to get, but it will be complete with shocks, springs, control arms and bushings.

I guessing I'll need at least one new driveshaft. I will need new brakes all around. Eventually I want to put on some retractable running boards to make it easier to get in and out of it once it's lifted.
https://www.ariesautomotive.com/running-boards-side-bars/actiontrac-powered-running-boards (https://www.ariesautomotive.com/running-boards-side-bars/actiontrac-powered-running-boards)

Here's a photo of the rear axel I got yesterday and one of the tire/new wheel standing next to my XJ.

4.3LXJ
11-08-2018, 01:04 PM
Looks like you are on your way

Retired Firefighter
11-08-2018, 03:02 PM
The black lower portion of my XJ is kind of ratty looking, so I was thinking of having bed liner sprayed on that area. If I do, I want to do it before the V2 flares are installed. Any Thoughts? Pros or Cons?

4.3LXJ
11-08-2018, 03:47 PM
The only thing I don't like about bed liner is the orange peel look. You can however brush on POR15 bed liner, provided you don't stir it when you open it, and then use their clear coat and have a gloss look

Retired Firefighter
03-03-2020, 01:18 PM
I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on the build. With260K+ on it, I'm seriously considering a new engine. I’m thinking of an ATKreman.

One of my thoughts was to go with headers at the time of the engine swap. Or, should I just stay with the stock exhaust?

4.3LXJ
03-03-2020, 03:56 PM
The stock exhaust is really pretty good, being a shorty header anyway. I would stick with that