PDA

View Full Version : Question about wiring that had gone under water

matchframe
05-08-2018, 11:45 AM
My daughter's '97 XJ went under about 40 inches of water during Hurricane Harvey. It was in the water for four days. I have the engine running, and transmission and differential flushed. The electrical however is intermittent. I can start the engine and the electrical windows will roll down and up. I can shut off the engine and restart and the window will not do any thing. Start again and the windows will work. My guess is I need to pull the main connectors apart and clean them with electrical cleaner. Also thinking about replacing all the fuses and relays.

Is there a kit that has all the fuses and relays, or do I just make a list and buy what I need at the parts store?

4.3LXJ
05-08-2018, 01:20 PM
No kits that I am aware of. Not all fuse boxes have the same amount of fuses in them. There is some stuff you might be interested in called Ox Guard. It has a little grit in it and makes a better contact. I used it to salvage my Warn winch plug on the winch by putting a little in the holes and plugging and unplugging several times. It conducts electricity, so use sparingly around multiple contacts

denverd1
05-08-2018, 01:56 PM
test your alternator, clean contacts at a minimum.

have to remove battery and tray to pull it

Mudderoy
05-08-2018, 03:04 PM
That poor Jeep has been through hell.

matchframe
05-09-2018, 06:35 AM
No kits that I am aware of. Not all fuse boxes have the same amount of fuses in them. There is some stuff you might be interested in called Ox Guard. It has a little grit in it and makes a better contact. I used it to salvage my Warn winch plug on the winch by putting a little in the holes and plugging and unplugging several times. It conducts electricity, so use sparingly around multiple contacts

Good idea! Thanks!!

matchframe
05-09-2018, 06:36 AM
test your alternator, clean contacts at a minimum.

have to remove battery and tray to pull it

I have already replaced the alternator. When I first started the engine after flushing etc. There was a loud scraping sound that ended up being the alternator.

matchframe
05-09-2018, 06:39 AM
That poor Jeep has been through hell.

It sure has. But it is still solid. And my daughter does not want anything else to drive, she just wants a Jeep XJ. I am confident I can get this one reliable again but if not, she wants another XJ.

denverd1
05-09-2018, 08:40 AM
I have already replaced the alternator. When I first started the engine after flushing etc. There was a loud scraping sound that ended up being the alternator.

good move.

denverd1
05-09-2018, 08:41 AM
It sure has. But it is still solid. And my daughter does not want anything else to drive, she just wants a Jeep XJ. I am confident I can get this one reliable again but if not, she wants another XJ.

she sounds like a great person. good job pops