PDA

View Full Version : plasma cutter

denverd1
02-01-2018, 05:09 PM
What's your favorite brand/size of plasma cutter? I need a small unit using 110 power. I could add 220, but don't think it's necessary. Guess I could plug it in the dryer socket! would washer/dryer would make a decent workbench ;)

Have no need to cut anything over 1/4", but don't want to buy a smaller unit only to be disappointed with its performance. Most smaller units cut up to 1/2".

Bought my welder off Amazon (Forney 125) and it's done all I need, although I should've gone with a gas capable model. But will likely take it with me for longer wheeling trips.

What are the gotchas on plasma cutters? what do you have? what do you wish you'd bought instead?

4.3LXJ
02-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Good question, I really don't know .................... yet. On my list of things to want

gary63
02-06-2018, 07:30 PM
I got one from Eastwood auto it is 110v or 220v it cuts upto 3/8 with no problems it has been used to build tow truck bed and bumpers a oil burning heater out of a hot water tank and a BBQ. That is just some of the things it is not the best but I like it and it was when I bot it under $600.00 . Wish I would have got 2 .

denverd1
02-07-2018, 11:39 AM
I got one from Eastwood auto it is 110v or 220v it cuts upto 3/8 with no problems it has been used to build tow truck bed and bumpers a oil burning heater out of a hot water tank and a BBQ. That is just some of the things it is not the best but I like it and it was when I bot it under $600.00 . Wish I would have got 2 .

Thanks Gary! Eastwood also makes a small 110 gas ready welder as well. seems like they're putting out some good equipment. I'll check it out

abebehrmann
02-07-2018, 03:36 PM
I've done a ton of research on plasma cutters over the past year or two. The best you can get is a Hypertherm, but their price reflects that as well. I've heard good things about the Eastwood plasma cutters, but I don't have any experience with that company. I've looked at the Everlast plasma cutters, but I've had to replace two separate circuit boards on my Everlast MIG welder in the 2.5 years I've had it so I don't think I would recommend them as far as durability. They have always sent out a new circuit board without much of a hassle on my end, but still it's really annoying if you don't have a backup and are in the middle of a project.

If you look on Ebay, there are quite a few Chinese models for cheap (Lotos brand is the most common I've seen). Saw a few Youtube reviews on them, they seem to cut decent enough, but they probably don't last for years and years. From what I've read, the main advantages of the more expensive plasma cutters, like the Hypertherm, are that the consumables last a lot longer, they're a bit easier to use, they cut a bit faster, and have more capability to do things like plasma gouging or piercing the center of a plate. But if you're just using it every once in a while, the more expensive brands probably wouldn't be worth the extra money. On the other hand though, the Hypertherm machines do hold their value very well, much like Lincoln and Miller welders, so maybe it would be worth it to get one of them.

carloxj
11-14-2018, 11:56 PM
I have a Lotos LPT5000d. Cheap and reliable.