PDA

View Full Version : XJ passenger floor board, foot area

mike00xj
10-01-2017, 02:47 PM
So, I was going some other work on my jeep today and stumbled apon a hole in my floor. (north east jeep life)
I was thinking of going tomorrow and getting some flat steel from a local metal supplier tomorrow and welding it in but I was wondering what others ideas were or what size metal you guys think would work best. I have no interior insulation or flooring so I'm pretty open to any ideas because it's not gonna take a whole lot of effort once it's time to do it.

I should add I don't have the greatest welder though. 170 mig welder from harbor freight. So being able to adjust settings isn't a very wide window but I'm gonna do whatever I gotta do

Thankshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/65cdb69a3e42e62d93d463bb63e47ade.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
10-01-2017, 06:21 PM
First suggestion I would make is to not go too thick on material. Second, on an area like that I would probably pop rivet a small piece in. Much easier in the long run on that one than welding I think

XJ Wheeler
10-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Used 16 gauge when I patched my floor. It's still a bit thicker than the factory stuff but I had a whole sheet of it so I used it. Welding the factory metal was probably the toughest part for me. The welder i used didn't have great range on selections either but cut it down enough you can take your time.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Pinkyman
10-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Hey I have that same hole! :D

The North land struggle is real.

denverd1
10-05-2017, 09:25 AM
if you weld, try a couple different rods to find what works best. agree that cutting back to good metal will be an issue and riveting a piece of sheet on and seam sealing real well is likely your best option. unless your floorboard is shot too...

mike00xj
10-05-2017, 09:54 AM
if you weld, try a couple different rods to find what works best. agree that cutting back to good metal will be an issue and riveting a piece of sheet on and seam sealing real well is likely your best option. unless your floorboard is shot too...Ill look more into it this weekend and see what I have to work, thanks for the response

jasonmdaniels30
10-05-2017, 11:32 AM
My hole is a lot bigger there and I have a piece of aluminum diamond plate over the hold and under my carpet right now. Eventually I'm going to buy a whole new floorboard

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

mike00xj
10-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Used 16 gauge when I patched my floor. It's still a bit thicker than the factory stuff but I had a whole sheet of it so I used it. Welding the factory metal was probably the toughest part for me. The welder i used didn't have great range on selections either but cut it down enough you can take your time.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.Did you put the patch on the inside or outside of the floor? Or both? I've been debating doing both so I know it doesn't get worse

XJ Wheeler
10-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Did you put the patch on the inside or outside of the floor? Or both? I've been debating doing both so I know it doesn't get worse

I got the patch panel as close to the exact hole (that I cut to good metal) and butt welded it in. I didn't want a lip to get cut on or have to seal up. Does make welding harder because it's on the edge though.

mike00xj
10-07-2017, 07:51 AM
I got the patch panel as close to the exact hole (that I cut to good metal) and butt welded it in. I didn't want a lip to get cut on or have to seal up. Does make welding harder because it's on the edge though.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.And you used 16g metal? Did you have issues with it burning through on either end?

nickyg
10-07-2017, 06:37 PM
I think that hole is factory installed. I pop riveted a piece over it from the outside and filled in the inside with dura glass. then painted the heck out of it.

XJ Wheeler
10-08-2017, 04:00 AM
And you used 16g metal? Did you have issues with it burning through on either end?

The 16 gauge wasn't the issue. The factory metal wasn't the issue, especially in bends where it's thinner or areas that had rust damage but felt solid enough to leave in.

mike00xj
10-08-2017, 08:18 AM
The 16 gauge wasn't the issue. The factory metal wasn't the issue, especially in bends where it's thinner or areas that had rust damage but felt solid enough to leave in.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.Thanks man. Today I finally have the opportunity to fix that hole so I'll let you know how it goes!