PDA

View Full Version : Harvey got Kermit

matchframe
09-06-2017, 08:25 AM
My daughter's '97 XJ got about 36 inches of water during Hurricane Harvey. Since we only had liability, I need to get Kermit running again. I have not had a lot of time to deal with the XJ other than to open the doors and rear hatch to let it air out. I did check the oil dipstick and there is water in the crankcase. The air filter was wet. The battery is dead.

This is what I think I need to do; change the engine oil, trans fluid, differential oil, pull the interior to get the carpet out etc...

I am open to all advice and suggestions.

Thanks!

denverd1
09-06-2017, 09:16 AM
flush crankcase, trans and diffs with diesel. will help dissolve the gunk, hopefully you're gunk free since it didn't spin with water in it. spin oil pump to get diesel through entire system. drain

If it comes out fairly clean, fill with cheap oil and some MMO. run for a few hours then drain.

carpet will probably end up in the trash

Pinkyman
09-06-2017, 09:47 AM
You should just send it up to me and ill take care if it for you :thumbsup: Man, what i would give for a rust free Texas Xj!

Really though, sorry about the misfortune. Hopefully you get everything all fixed up!

4.3LXJ
09-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Good advise on draining and cleaning it out with diesel. I had my carpets soaked and they dried out in hot weather without issue.

denverd1
09-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Good advise on draining and cleaning it out with diesel. I had my carpets soaked and they dried out in hot weather without issue.

flood water in yours? or took a bath in fresh mountain creek? quite a difference...

4.3LXJ
09-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Almost embarrassed to say. Batteries got cooked due to short caused by melted insulation on battery cable. Had to leave it to get another battery. During the night three inches if rain in windows I couldn't roll up, followed by another couple of days of sideways rain. Trapped by down trees. Has to take in a chain saw with the battery and carve a way out for it. It was wet for quite awhile before it came down to dry land to dry out

denverd1
09-06-2017, 01:29 PM
sounds like an adventure!!

4.3LXJ
09-06-2017, 04:45 PM
It was. Took two days and a few dozen trees cleared out of the trails the long way around. The direct route had a 7 foot diameter tree across the trail. I had a big enough saw, but couldn't move whatever we would have cut up

Hum Wee JR
09-06-2017, 09:32 PM
I remember that. It sat on top of a mountain for a while.

4.3LXJ
09-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Hey, you shouldn't be telling secrets

cantab27
09-07-2017, 03:53 AM
I got a post on this after one of my swims but cant find it .:confused:

Dehumidifier left running in it for a couple of days will sort carpets , leave a window down a inch......lights ,horn , wipers and the likes will dry out in time ..will do silly things like not turn off....like they say fluids /oils ...trans flush ...its the only thing I've killed in water ...I did pull seats and let dry outside after one big puddle ....this is after dash high water ...good luck