PDA

View Full Version : Since we are work on Jeeps....

Dredwolf
05-30-2017, 10:38 PM
Yes, this is in the non-Jeep category, but we all turn wrenches and like things to work and work well.
Anybody got some "because I broke/fixed/welded/trashed/destroyed it" suggestions on a good zero turn mower?
Getting tired of real life keeping me from working on the XJ (or much else). Borrowed a 54" zero turn last weekend and :shocker:....I mowed my place and my mother's property and was LOOKING for areas to mow...in TWO hours (I have a 50" riding mower than does just my place in about 3.5 hours normally).

I knew they were effective from seeing the pros with them, but dang....I was cutting grass I would normally have to crawl through with the regular mower.

So I am in the market now, anybody got advice or experiences to share?

cantab27
05-30-2017, 11:03 PM

bluedragon436
05-30-2017, 11:25 PM
Well from the bit of research I've done in picking up a Zero Turn unit.. mine will certainly be a used one.. most likely one that will be cheap due to the need of some work or something.. lol.. But anyways.. in my research I'd say try and find yourself a deal on a diesel unit. They seem to work better, hold up better and longer... and not have nearly the issues that the gas units have (at least the units that you and I might want to purchase, without spending the pro kind of money)... I've got a friend of mine (the guy who's garage I used to do my lift kiting some other stuff on my XJ).. anyways... he purchased a "landscaping" business from a guy who was just not doing good with his business plans... and he had a few gas units that after a short time (after my friend purchased the business).. decided to let go and blow up... so he purchased some diesel units from Kubota.. and he runs them every day for many many hours... anyways.. he still has one of the old gas units that blew the engine... and I'm thinking about talking to him again and seeing if he still has it and if he is still wanting to part with it... I'm going to have to go the cheap route and pick up a new engine from HF... and see how long that'll last me... lol.. But I might just keep saving my pennies and look into purchasing a used Kubota ZD28F.. which is one of their better rated "light pro" Z mower... Diesel tractors have more torque for a better mow and power... and not to mention doesn't hurt it has a built in jack.. for lifting the mower to change blades and such under it..

4.3LXJ
05-31-2017, 10:21 AM
No recommendations on brand. But when I was working on the college grounds they had a nifty attachment on the front that was basically a small disc that I used to trim about a mile of curb and sidewalk. I could keep a crew of 6 busy picking up the trimmings

Dredwolf
05-31-2017, 11:12 AM

Already have 4 goats, they eat everything EXCEPT the grass.:bang:

Dredwolf
05-31-2017, 11:17 AM
No recommendations on brand. But when I was working on the college grounds they had a nifty attachment on the front that was basically a small disc that I used to trim about a mile of curb and sidewalk. I could keep a crew of 6 busy picking up the trimmings

Will have to look that up...already have a Stihl FS-85 that belonged to my dad that I keep busy on the weekends, along with a Husky trimmer.

And about 6-8 times a year, I break out this one with a clearing saw blade on it to clear the fence lines.
http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Grass-Trimmers-Brushcutters/Professional-Brushcutters/2659-1621/FS-250.aspx

Pinkyman
05-31-2017, 11:18 AM
We are moving next month to a property with just over 2 acres. I was looking into the John Deere D110, when i came across the Toro Timecutter. It seems more of an entry level zero-turn, but you can get them in as large as a 54", and they are reasonably affordable.

Dredwolf
05-31-2017, 11:20 AM
Well from the bit of research I've done in picking up a Zero Turn unit.. mine will certainly be a used one.. most likely one that will be cheap due to the need of some work or something.. lol.. But anyways.. in my research I'd say try and find yourself a deal on a diesel unit. They seem to work better, hold up better and longer... and not have nearly the issues that the gas units have (at least the units that you and I might want to purchase, without spending the pro kind of money)... I've got a friend of mine (the guy who's garage I used to do my lift kiting some other stuff on my XJ).. anyways... he purchased a "landscaping" business from a guy who was just not doing good with his business plans... and he had a few gas units that after a short time (after my friend purchased the business).. decided to let go and blow up... so he purchased some diesel units from Kubota.. and he runs them every day for many many hours... anyways.. he still has one of the old gas units that blew the engine... and I'm thinking about talking to him again and seeing if he still has it and if he is still wanting to part with it... I'm going to have to go the cheap route and pick up a new engine from HF... and see how long that'll last me... lol.. But I might just keep saving my pennies and look into purchasing a used Kubota ZD28F.. which is one of their better rated "light pro" Z mower... Diesel tractors have more torque for a better mow and power... and not to mention doesn't hurt it has a built in jack.. for lifting the mower to change blades and such under it..

Good point on the diesel, but even used, they are still $$$ in this area....I might get some better deals towards end of summer, but have a lot of grass to cut before then.

drakan1908
05-31-2017, 11:49 AM
A friend of mine worked at the Gravely dealership and told me that if I wanted one to try to hold off till fall. Some of these guys here have trouble making payments and will sell them cheap just so they don't ruin their credit. Around here, a lot of the firemen buy Lowes and Home Depot brands and cut grass on their days off and undercut the landscapers.

Sent from a van down by the river

4.3LXJ
05-31-2017, 02:44 PM
Will have to look that up...already have a Stihl FS-85 that belonged to my dad that I keep busy on the weekends, along with a Husky trimmer.

And about 6-8 times a year, I break out this one with a clearing saw blade on it to clear the fence lines.
http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Grass-Trimmers-Brushcutters/Professional-Brushcutters/2659-1621/FS-250.aspx

I have an 85 too, but mine has a steel blade on it. Cuts anything, almost :D

bluedragon436
05-31-2017, 08:52 PM
Was looking at the Troy Built units today @ Lower when I went up there to pick up some more Tru-Fuel to get my Troy Built push mower cleaned up and running properly again (after not putting her away for the winter properly [damn crap gas we have now]).. and they got some pretty decent units for not too crazy of a price.. I think though, I might will keep an eye out, keep saving my pennies... and talk with some of the places that sell & service the diesel units... and see if they might have anyone they know that is selling theirs due to not being able to pay... or someone who is wanting to move up to a newer unit.. or even one that was repo'd... and then looked over by the shop... I found some deals online for Diesel Kubota units selling for roughly 5K.. figure brand new even in the Lower brand... is not a whole lot cheaper than that (for a "good" brand)..

Dredwolf
05-31-2017, 10:43 PM
The one thing I can add from the single test ride I did, the fabricated decks are wicked compared to the stamped decks. The zero turn I borrowed had the same HP as my riding mower, but the difference in what each discharged was....spectacular. Maybe your standard slow-running water fountain (except with grass clippings) versus discharge chute on......this?
https://youtu.be/Hyv_DddRmzI

blazer2
06-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Mowers a great subject.
Every manufacturer has its pros and cons.
What do you want. Gas diesel propane and electric.
Once you have that figured out.
What size do you want.
A ZTR will cut down on the time by half even with a smaller deck.
Serves ability is key on all parts of the mower Even the hydros. Check to see if they have spin on filters.and the spinals have zerts
Do you want a mid mount or out front. (Grasshopper, walker) or a stand up?
I will never nock a diesel engine on a mower but it will out last the frame. There are a few diesels manufacturers for mowers.
The big 3 are Kubota, cat and yammer (spelling)
They cost more to fix but they are liquid cooled.
Gas engines don't last as long. But cost less to fix.
Yes they can had in liquid cooled. They last almost as long as diesels.
Kawasaki, Kohler and Briggs.
The first two can be found with liquid coold. And efi and dfi (direct fuel injection on kawasaki)
Propane same as gas..
Electric not going there.
Not all decks are the same.
No to stamped decks.
No to simi fabricated decks.
(Stamped deck with some welding to give it more support )
Yes to fully fabricated decks.
Hydros.
Do you want pumps and wheel Motors?
Or pumps and transaxles (hydro Greer ZT 3400 and so on)
I would stay with a brand name. And a place where you can get parts. And not have to drive an hour there and back. Because its not if it breaks down but when.
My mowers of choice are.
1. Scag
2. Write
3. Walker
4. Toro -Exmark
5. Kubota
Disclaimer i sell the top 3
Look at Cranky Ape its an power sports auction website. Lots of goodies on there.
I know way to much info.
If i was to buy a used mower. I WOULD NOT GET ONE FROM A LANDSCAPE COMPANY. Only if the guy was small business with only a few employees.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
06-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Mowers a great subject.
Every manufacturer has its pros and cons.
What do you want. Gas diesel propane and electric.
Once you have that figured out.
What size do you want.
A ZTR will cut down on the time by half even with a smaller deck.
Serves ability is key on all parts of the mower Even the hydros. Check to see if they have spin on filters.and the spinals have zerts
Do you want a mid mount or out front. (Grasshopper, walker) or a stand up?
I will never nock a diesel engine on a mower but it will out last the frame. There are a few diesels manufacturers for mowers.
The big 3 are Kubota, cat and yammer (spelling)
They cost more to fix but they are liquid cooled.
Gas engines don't last as long. But cost less to fix.
Yes they can had in liquid cooled. They last almost as long as diesels.
Kawasaki, Kohler and Briggs.
The first two can be found with liquid coold. And efi and dfi (direct fuel injection on kawasaki)
Propane same as gas..
Electric not going there.
Not all decks are the same.
No to stamped decks.
No to simi fabricated decks.
(Stamped deck with some welding to give it more support )
Yes to fully fabricated decks.
Hydros.
Do you want pumps and wheel Motors?
Or pumps and transaxles (hydro Greer ZT 3400 and so on)
I would stay with a brand name. And a place where you can get parts. And not have to drive an hour there and back. Because its not if it breaks down but when.
My mowers of choice are.
1. Scag
2. Write
3. Walker
4. Toro -Exmark
5. Kubota
Disclaimer i sell the top 3
Look at Cranky Ape its an power sports auction website. Lots of goodies on there.
I know way to much info.
If i was to buy a used mower. I WOULD NOT GET ONE FROM A LANDSCAPE COMPANY. Only if the guy was small business with only a few employees.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Nice.. Seems like a awesome rundown of pro/cons... Too bad you don't live closer, I'd hit yo up for help purchasing a new engine and a few other needed parts to rebuild a Scag and get it up and going again... Got a friend who I mentioned earlier in the thread, that bought small landscaping business and that was what the PO had been using was a Turf Tiger (IIRC).. and once my friend bought the company had a few that were down already and once he got them up and going again had some more issues including one that blew the engine (or at least that is what he told me was wrong with it)... haven't had time to get it and tear into it, to see if it is an easy(ish) fix... So he went to Kubota and diesel, now these things run every day of the week for many many hours, with only small breaks for fuel, lunch, and between jobs... and he has had some issues, but not nearly the number or severity of issues he had out of the gas models.. But anyways.. I will get one one day... I've been researching the parts as well as the cost of a new one.. I know new the same model is roughly $4-6K... and if I pick the one up he has, and then turn around and put $1500 roughly into a new engine.. who knows what parts will need replacing next as it is used (and the PO's did good with maintenance, and didn't run them nearly as long as my friend does with his).. There is a guy that buys and rebuilds lawnmowers.. drove by his place the other day and he had a ZTR out that he was looking to get $1600 for.. Looked to be either a Toro or Exmark, not sure which... so might go back by and check it out and see what shape it looks like it is in overall...

blazer2
06-02-2017, 08:49 PM
There are a lot more things to look at when getting a used mower. I am using recycled computer pixels on this one.
If the you get it from a shop ask lots of questions.
Some of these things seem like over kill but it's your money.
Leak down on the cylinders and what are they. I write the numbers on the valve cover.
The hydros have they been serviced? And filled with the correct oil?
Engine has it been serviced with the correct oil. Kawasaki
Gets 20w-50 on all FX and FS series engines. New update as January 1st 2017
Tires
Are the full of plugs or did they get foam filled? And are they at the correct psi?
New or sharpen blades?
Belts good,bad or new.
Clutch is it going out. If its adjustable is the air gap set correct. All scags are adjustable its a pain to do but will prolong its life at $350.00 each.
Hr meter has it been replaced? This a biggie on traid in's
Steering are the arms adjust. And dampers wore out.
Actual mowers from the competitors.

blazer2
06-02-2017, 08:59 PM
BlueDragon
For new engines check out small engine Warehouse.
They sell them for a lot less than most places. But shipping may be a problem. It comes in by freight.

bluedragon436
06-02-2017, 10:22 PM
BlueDragon
For new engines check out small engine Warehouse.
They sell them for a lot less than most places. But shipping may be a problem. It comes in by freight.

If I manage to snag that ZTR from him, or at least get over there to check it out.. I'll try and hit it up and find out what engine it actually has.. so I can look on that site and see what they show it for.. Thanks..

blazer2
06-06-2017, 10:22 AM
If I manage to snag that ZTR from him, or at least get over there to check it out.. I'll try and hit it up and find out what engine it actually has.. so I can look on that site and see what they show it for.. Thanks..
It should say on the mod# if it is there A Turf Tiger would read
STT61V-27CV so it would be a scag turf tiger 61"deck with a 27hp kohler

bluedragon436
06-06-2017, 07:58 PM
It should say on the mod# if it is there A Turf Tiger would read
STT61V-27CV so it would be a scag turf tiger 61"deck with a 27hp kohler

Yeah, I'll have to look into it.. and see if he still has it, and what the information or model# is... so I can find out what engine it has on it.. so as far as that replacement cost, I can get an idea if it's worth me trying to snag it or not.. lol

Pinkyman
06-20-2017, 08:41 AM
So maybe someone can help me out here. My Aunt has a 2010 Cub Cadet LTX 1050 that she bought new, and she was mowing some tall grass a few months ago, and it stopped driving. It runs great, but it will not go forwards or backwards..... Its in good shape with only like 250 hours on it.

She said she replaced it with a new mower, and i can have it in exchange for some chainsaw work if i want. My question is does anyone know anything about these things, or if parts are readily available? Im just wondering if its worth taking or not...... I was hoping i can fix it and use it at our new property, and maybe i can get away without buying a zero turn for a few years.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e124/Rocketryan1/P1020541%201024x768_zpslezqfrxx.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rocketryan1/media/P1020541%201024x768_zpslezqfrxx.jpg.html)

OrangeXJ
06-20-2017, 09:14 AM
You should have no problem getting parts. Cub Cadets are a popular mower. I'd jump on it. Mowing tall grass maybe knocked the drive belt off or smoked it.

XJ Wheeler
06-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Have you looked underneath? If it was tall enough it could have wrapped around the blades and jammed it up. Got a piece of rope hung in ours a few years ago and it killed it till I cut it out.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Charlie Foxtrot
06-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Absolutely worth it. Good mower, a little slow compared to a zero turn, but worth the effort to repair. Most likely the belt is the problem. Keep the blade sharp & you will love how nice it cuts.

bluedragon436
06-20-2017, 08:46 PM
So maybe someone can help me out here. My Aunt has a 2010 Cub Cadet LTX 1050 that she bought new, and she was mowing some tall grass a few months ago, and it stopped driving. It runs great, but it will not go forwards or backwards..... Its in good shape with only like 250 hours on it.

She said she replaced it with a new mower, and i can have it in exchange for some chainsaw work if i want. My question is does anyone know anything about these things, or if parts are readily available? Im just wondering if its worth taking or not...... I was hoping i can fix it and use it at our new property, and maybe i can get away without buying a zero turn for a few years.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e124/Rocketryan1/P1020541%201024x768_zpslezqfrxx.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rocketryan1/media/P1020541%201024x768_zpslezqfrxx.jpg.html)

I'd say pick it up for sure.. IIRC those are like a hydrostatic transmission so could be a pump that went bad, or even a clogged filter... But either way should be able to find parts for them pretty easily, and not too badly priced... Cub Cadet Parts (http://www.cubparts.com/p/Cub-Cadet-LTX1050-Parts)

Pinkyman
06-21-2017, 09:50 AM
I'd say pick it up for sure.. IIRC those are like a hydrostatic transmission so could be a pump that went bad, or even a clogged filter... But either way should be able to find parts for them pretty easily, and not too badly priced... Cub Cadet Parts (http://www.cubparts.com/p/Cub-Cadet-LTX1050-Parts)

I think im going to grab it either way. Ive heard that hyrdostatics usually come to a slow death, so you kind of know its coming. This one suddenly stopped, which makes me hope that its a belt or something easy. Hopefully I will find out in a week or so!

bluedragon436
06-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Yeah, looks like it does still have a belt that connects to the engine with a clutch, I believe it might be an electric clutch... which case could be a connection/wire issue.. or something simple to take care of..