PDA

View Full Version : NP242 Chain Stretched Popping

Mudderoy
05-24-2017, 06:45 AM
I recently rebuilt my front drive shaft, and reinstalled it. Yesterday close to the house I dropped it in to full time 4x4 and drove a few blocks to the house. I've had about 3 or 4 stretched chains so I was concerned since a wheeling trip was this weekend.

I drove it a short bit, giving it gas to put pressure on the transfer case, no issues. Got into the driveway and put on the brakes and gave it gas, I can't remember if this would make the chain pop on the gears, but I think it would. Nothing. We're good!

I left it in Full Time.

Backing out this morning (BACKING OUT NO THROTTLE JUST IDLE!) pop pop pop.

Driving forward, pop pop pop with throttle.

I got it back into 2wd, sound gone.

Pulled into a parking lot on the way to work, tried it again, pop pop pop.

Now this last time I changed the chain I changed the input and output gears as well.

I may have had it in 4x4 a dozen times since I put these parts in there and now it's screwed again!

What is it that I am doing wrong?

Needless to say the trip is off now. F**KING MOTHER F**KING PIECE OF SH!T!

OrangeXJ
05-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Do you drive it in full time all the time?

drakan1908
05-24-2017, 04:32 PM
I drive mine for weeks at a time in full time and my wife drives hers like that also, especially in the winter. And we both run interstates at 65 and 70. When I had bearings and seals put in mine the mechanic said the chain was fine, no stretch.

Sent from a van down by the river

Mudderoy
05-24-2017, 04:53 PM

No, just guessing I'd say the current chain and gears that it's on has been used 15 minutes.

I need to check the fluid level. I checked it a few months back and it was a little low not what I would consider low.

Just because it was fine a couple of months ago doesn't mean it's okay now though. I was going to top it off before heading to the park, so I didn't mess with it Monday night when I installed the drive shaft.

Mudderoy
05-24-2017, 04:55 PM
I drive mine for weeks at a time in full time and my wife drives hers like that also, especially in the winter. And we both run interstates at 65 and 70. When I had bearings and seals put in mine the mechanic said the chain was fine, no stretch.

I left it in full time for prob 60k miles of the 80k miles I had on it before it started popping. I figured it was easier for my wife to just have it in full time instead of me having to get her feeling comfortable enough to work that extra lever.

Mudderoy
05-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Was chatting with a guy on Facebook today, he suggested I get a Mopar chain. Found some, $250+ and $470+

I'm going to take the front drive shaft back off and see if I can find a chain that someone has used that hasn't stretched.

drakan1908
05-24-2017, 06:28 PM
I left it in full time for prob 60k miles of the 80k miles I had on it before it started popping. I figured it was easier for my wife to just have it in full time instead of me having to get her feeling comfortable enough to work that extra lever.
Haha I put my wife's in full time and tell her to leave it alone. I don't need her experimenting.

Mudderoy
05-24-2017, 07:24 PM
I think I'm going to buy another NP242 to have as a hot swap. If someone in the Houston area has one they want to sell...

finneys98xj
05-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Check the side gears in the front end.

Easy to check and alot easier than tearing apart the transfer case

drakan1908
05-24-2017, 07:57 PM
I think I'm going to buy another NP242 to have as a hot swap. If someone in the Houston area has one they want to sell...
Shame your not closer to me. The PnP I go to has them for $65 each. Since both my Grands run them maybe I should pick an extra up.

finneys98xj
05-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Shame your not closer to me. The PnP I go to has them for $65 each. Since both my Grands run them maybe I should pick an extra up.

its a shame you dont need one with a 21 spline input because one of my part jeeps has one im not going to use

Mudderoy
05-30-2017, 02:01 PM
I removed the drive shaft but haven't drained the transfer case yet.

I ordered one of those hand pumps to refill the case, and it hasn't come in yet.

I noticed that the ride around 70 mph is smoother without the front drive shaft.

Could this be a sign to my NP242 multiple stretched chain woes?

I tried moving the front yoke to see if there was a lot of play in the bearing, and it didn't seem like it moved very much.

Very confusing since I don't see people having to do a lot to the transfer case when they replace the chain.

4.3LXJ
05-30-2017, 02:09 PM
"Didn't move very much"?

Mudderoy
05-30-2017, 03:15 PM
"Didn't move very much"?

I've never tried moving it up and down or side to side before. There was movement, but very slight.

Contrast that to how far the D30 yoke rotate and it's nill. I can believe there is that much play in the D30.

I'll do a video and stick it up on both.

4.3LXJ
05-30-2017, 05:25 PM
Tony, those bearings should make that shaft tight enough so there should not be anything more than a click if you shake it, if that much