PDA

View Full Version : DIY exhaust

Mudderoy
05-23-2017, 08:58 AM
What is the difference between having your exhaust system welded or using clamps?

I like the clamps because that means I can repair my own exhaust. I made sure I tuned the clamps so they are less like to hang up on something.

prerunner1982
05-23-2017, 09:14 AM
I made sure I tuned the clamps

low SWR? :D

4.3LXJ
05-23-2017, 09:56 AM
No difference really. I weld mine only because I use tight mandrel bends and weld them in. Otherwise I would just use clamps

Pookapotamus
05-23-2017, 10:45 AM
I would say less chance of leaking, but harder to replace, really not much difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
05-23-2017, 09:05 PM
On my 98's exhaust I used clamps, one because I could install the system myself, and two because if I ever needed to replace any parts, I could fairly easily do it.. without having to pull out a grinder, and taking it back to a shop to have the new parts welded in.. I also turned the clamps to where they wouldn't get hung up on anything.. seemed to work pretty well, even after getting hit a few times... never had any leaks out of the 98, and hopefully once I finally do the exhaust on the 97, won't have any leaks out of it either..

GreaseMonkey
05-23-2017, 11:09 PM
Clamps can be just as difficult to remove/replace as welded exhaust .With an exhaust as simple as an XJ clamps are fine but don't do it just because you think it will be easier to remove in future . When clamped down correctly the clamp creates a bent in the pipes it is clamping keeping them from coming apart ... sometimes if you're lucky you can separate them but most the time you end up cutting it just like welded exhaust or the cut and peel method to get past the bend created by the clamp .

denverd1
05-24-2017, 12:51 PM
need to work on mine. it's relocated aft of where it was when I got to Bridgeport

4.3LXJ
05-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Custom by crunch?

bluedragon436
05-24-2017, 08:31 PM
I'm really hoping once I get my exhaust in.. I can keep it high enough and secure enough that I won't crush it or damage it too much... at least until I can learn to weld and be able to replace the parts and weld in whatever is needed to be replaced.. And once I learn myself how to weld.. then I'll weld all the connections to replace the clamps..

GreaseMonkey
05-24-2017, 09:59 PM
With welding the best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice. The best thing to do is have someone great at welding show you the ropes and the most important thing is setting the welder up correctly for the task at hand.

bigjim350
05-27-2017, 05:32 AM
I weld on vband flanges and use vband clamps. Never leak and easy to take apart. At least that's what I did on my mustang.

Mudderoy
05-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Hmmm thought I already mentioned this but I didn't see it. When I was under the Jeep putting the drive shaft in I noticed my exhaust leak is where the hanger is attached to the pipe running from the header to the cat.

I mean seriously?!?!?

So I order this...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31uGTVG-RFL.jpg

Just replaced the header a month ago, so maybe after this I'll have a NO TICK TICK TICK ride.

Oh and since it isn't welded I can replace it pretty easy.

I'm thinking about putting a bolt in the bottom of that hanger to keep this new pipe from bouncing on the transmission cross member.

Mudderoy
05-27-2017, 04:39 PM

bluedragon436
05-27-2017, 08:41 PM

Is that the Walker downpipe (front pipe)?? Been looking at picking up one to replace the one on my 97, so that I can finally replace the upper O2 sensor.. have heard mixed reviews on the Walker brand, as far as it's fitment without having to some modifications or tweaking..

Mudderoy
05-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Is that the Walker downpipe (front pipe)?? Been looking at picking up one to replace the one on my 97, so that I can finally replace the upper O2 sensor.. have heard mixed reviews on the Walker brand, as far as it's fitment without having to some modifications or tweaking..

It is. The link on Amazon... http://amzn.to/2qvr0IP

bluedragon436
05-27-2017, 10:12 PM
It is. The link on Amazon... http://amzn.to/2qvr0IP

Thanks.. Yeah trying to price everything out, to replace everything from front to back on the exhaust... including both O2 sensors.. figure am going to be replacing the front pipe, and cat.. and while I was looking underneath trying to source a random sound I heard the other day... figured out I'm going to need to replace my muffler too, as it is rusting out due to moisture inside... But I really wanted to replace the exhaust anyways... so might as well do front pipe to the tip.. Now I just need to figure out if I want to replace the header while I'm at it.. Figure might as well.. so I'll know the exhaust should be good to go for a bit... Then I can do the 99+IM swap since I've had it sitting there waiting to go in.. Just working to figure out what I want to do with the header... definitely don't want to go with stock (for the usual cracking issues).. but don't want to grab an aftermarket header that is just as prone to cracking as the stock (I know none of them are 100% immune)..