PDA

View Full Version : 98 motor swapped into 2001 help!

TRuby3
05-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Starting, recently bought a 2001 jeep cherokee. The motor was bad and the guy threw in a good 98 motor. Got the motors swapped, went smooth. I've been chasing down some electrical for some time now.the motor will crank slow but not fire. So as you may know 2001 was distrubutorless and the 98 has a distributor. With my 2001 wire harness I don't have the connector for the distributor. i do have the wiring harness for a 1998. I need a diagram or the knowledge where I can connect this connector and wire it in without replacing the whole wire harness. Thanks

denverd1
05-16-2017, 02:21 PM
you need service manual with wiring diagrams! for both years!

4.3LXJ
05-16-2017, 02:43 PM
I am going to chime in here and I have some news you probably don't want to hear. You cannot mix and match a dizzy ignition with coil pack ignition. The ECM will have a fit and will not work. What you need to do is settle on which system you want and run with it. That means you will need the right ECM, wiring harness and sensors. Not what you wanted to hear, but I consider myself semi sharp on this stuff and I don't think I could do what you are trying to do

TRuby3
05-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Thank you for the reply, that's what I wanted to hear. I've spent countless hours looking for any information on this and couldn't find a damn thing. So thank you

4.3LXJ
05-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Your welcome. There is possibly more, but I am not sure about it yet on the XJ. But in 99 when the WJ came out with the 4.7L engine, they made a major change in the ECM and how it communicates with the rest of the Jeep. Did they do that in 00 with the WJ, not sure. But I think it is a good possibility. To mix and match requires a change of ALL the wiring and dash components from a WJ to a TJ for instance. I got involved in this and what a pain

TRuby3
05-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Well like I said, it's already been a pain but any answer is good for me. I do have the wiring harness for a 98 so looks like I'll be swapping that out.

jonb8
05-17-2017, 09:51 AM
You can take the cam sensor out of the 01 motor and put it in the distributor hole of the 98 motor.. Put both motors on top dead center, pull 98 distributor and toss it. Pull cover off 2001 cam sensor, mark were it's pointing and install it in the 98 motor. Pop coil pack on plugs and it should be fine.

TRuby3
05-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Have you performed this before? I've read this online somewhere but was skeptical to try it.

jonb8
05-17-2017, 09:13 PM
I've done it many times, The distributor hole is the same they just built a cam sensor and dropped in there. You won't have bolt holes in the head to bolt your coil pack too but that doesn't matter, the coil pack won't jump up off the plugs it's hard enough to pull it off. The hard part is setting the cam sensor set.

TRuby3
05-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Thank you very much sir. Didn't take long and she fired right up!

jonb8
05-19-2017, 09:59 AM
Your welcome, told you it was easy.....LOL good luck with the xj

denverd1
05-19-2017, 11:40 AM
I am going to chime in here and I have some news you probably don't want to hear. You cannot mix and match a dizzy ignition with coil pack ignition. The ECM will have a fit and will not work. What you need to do is settle on which system you want and run with it. That means you will need the right ECM, wiring harness and sensors. Not what you wanted to hear, but I consider myself semi sharp on this stuff and I don't think I could do what you are trying to do

was afraid that'd be the case