PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Leak

98s1mms
05-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Anyone know if an exhaust leak near the manifold would cause alot of excess heat in the engine bay. Ive heat sheilded the fuel rail but im still getting an intense vapor lock. Cylinder 2 keeps misfiring. This is driving me nuts. Im in Phoenix and its only getting hotter now? Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
05-13-2017, 10:16 AM
There are two things you can do. Vent the hood and wrap the fuel rail and injectors with tin foil. The problem is that there is no return to the tank so the fuel just sits there and there is no place for vapor to go unless it condenses to liquid again.

98s1mms
05-13-2017, 07:06 PM
There are two things you can do. Vent the hood and wrap the fuel rail and injectors with tin foil. The problem is that there is no return to the tank so the fuel just sits there and there is no place for vapor to go unless it condenses to liquid again.

I do have the rail and each injector heat shielded. As well as a shield over the manifold. No luck still. I also have polymer blocks propping up the hood about an inch for airflow out the back. Im out if ideas here. I could add vents towards the front of the hood where alot of the heat is but i dont think itll help much. At this point im clueless of what to do next

Pookapotamus
05-13-2017, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking you might need to test your injectors, perhaps #2 is shot. Are you still running the stock injectors?

98s1mms
05-13-2017, 08:15 PM
I'm thinking you might need to test your injectors, perhaps #2 is shot. Are you still running the stock injectors?

I believe so. I took this thing over about 2 years ago and its a 96. But does it make sense that it only acts up when its hot. Thats where the exhaust leak theory comes into play. The leak is by the manifold (right under the fuel rail) and im wondering if the leak is strong enough to make a difference in that sense

drakan1908
05-14-2017, 08:54 AM
I believe so. I took this thing over about 2 years ago and its a 96. But does it make sense that it only acts up when its hot. Thats where the exhaust leak theory comes into play. The leak is by the manifold (right under the fuel rail) and im wondering if the leak is strong enough to make a difference in that sense

I believe I would fix the exhaust leak before doing anything else. It could be the problem but it would rule it out, besides an exhaust leak is dangerous to your health. The vents at the front cowl could pick up fumes

Sent from a van down by the river

Pookapotamus
05-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Yes the exhaust leak could raid the temps a bit, it might have cooked an injector, and I agree with drakan, fix that leak, then see what's going on.

bluedragon436
05-14-2017, 08:47 PM
For sure would fix the leak.. But something else you can try is puling injectors... cleaning them all up.. and replacing seals on them... and give that a try.. certainly can't hurt either way to know that the injectors are all clean and sealed up properly..

OldFaurt
05-22-2017, 08:48 PM
For sure would fix the leak.. But something else you can try is puling injectors... cleaning them all up.. and replacing seals on them... and give that a try.. certainly can't hurt either way to know that the injectors are all clean and sealed up properly..

If you need help with the injectors let me know, I can get the little pressed in filters and I have the stuff to flush them out both directions. I can also test them electrically. I can talk you through most of that as well. When I first got my Jeep, 2 of the injectors had that annoying drip drip drip of Jeep gonorrhoea, dripped even when disconnected from the cable and when they did squirt it was all over the place... not very effective. Back flushing then forward flushing after replacing the inlet side filter made them solid contributors again. HUUUUUGE improvement.