PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issue

scrapeeape2000
05-08-2017, 12:35 AM
93' xj , having electrical problem. Blinkers, fan speed switch stopped working at same time. Fuse, relay check good. Connector going to fan switch looks a little melted. Also previous owner had a radio installed at best buy and it only turns on when I pull the headlight switch on. Anyone have any thoughts on what the issue is ?

4.3LXJ
05-08-2017, 08:52 AM
First, does the fan speed switch stop working completely or does it only work on high? Radio is probably wired into the dash light circuit. Check the flasher. Did you change to LED lights?

scrapeeape2000
05-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Fan doesn't blow at all. Hook direct power to fan and it works . Also the blower motor was replaced last year. Fuse is good.
Flashers, brake, park, headlights low and high beam work as they should. It's only the turn signals that don't work. Fuse is good . No on the LED lights . Not that this is related but I just remembered the center dome light went out a day or so later.

4.3LXJ
05-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Fan switch is probably bad. They can get hot from a bad connection and the plug and or switch can go because of it. If the flasher is good, then the switch in the steering column is probably bad.

scrapeeape2000
05-10-2017, 06:43 PM
So I put a new turn signal switch in the column, cleaned the grounding points that I could find. Haven't located where the ground is for the dash wires. Anyway after all that fun (steering column) and putting in a new temp and fan speed control still have no turn signals, fan still wont blow at any speed and now my whipper won't come on !!! Just to recap I have tested the fan it works, fuses are all good, block fuses tested good, emergency flashers work, head lights and interior lights work.
Anyone please I'm at a loss!!!

4.3LXJ
05-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Wiper and turn signals don't work. Did you double check that plug with all those wires coming out of the steering column? Get yourself a test light and make sure you have voltage to the fan switch. did you replace it. It might be cooked. I cooked one once

Infidel Edition
05-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Radio sounds like a bad ground to me.
Finding a bad ground can be a PITA!
They both ground to the firewall (line from head to firewall just over the fuel rail). I'd start by cleaning that connection first as it's the easiest.
Then look under the dash for burnt or frayed looking wires (any discoloring).

Voltage meter to check voltage at the fan + too.
The fan pulls more amps than pretty much anything. Logic (to me anyway) it would show issues first. Like dimming the lights when the fan kicks on... That adds undue wear on the fan motor connections.

My '89 had a horrific stereo wiring job by the PO. Surprised it didn't catch fire. When I cranked up the heater fan, the dash lights flickered....
I wound up pulling the dash harness from a pick'n pull.

scrapeeape2000
05-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Found the problem ! The ignition switch is bad . (BURNT) ran a jumper wire from the red to the purple wire of connector and fan and wipers work. Turns will light up but not blink . I'm sure that's due to it not going through the switch. The ignition switch sits on top of the steering column under the dash. Have a new one on the way!

4.3LXJ
05-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Glad you found it